Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #76
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Friend
Rollo, Here is this picture in a good size. You know, when Maria came back to Brazil, she was a big star. In 1959, Brazil had a lot of champions players: Eder Jofre, Maria Esther Bueno, Ademar Ferreira da Silva, male basketball team, male soccer team. The president Juscelino wanted to make a homage to all that players.

You can see in the second picture Estherzinha´s band. It is written "World´s tennis champion of 1959".

In the third picture, another one of Juscelino´s congratulions to Maria.
Keep the pics coming, Brazilian Friend- they're all pics I've never seen before and they're wonderful:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brazilian Friend again."
Advertisement

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #77
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Goolagong, Bueno, Casals & King (1988)

Here's the pic I promised. She does explain that her young son,
Morgan, who was in the Madison Square Garden crowd that night with dad,
was the one who exclaimed "the fat ones are playing the skinny ones"!
Yeah, it's another horrible scan, but it's better than nothing!

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #78
country flag Brazilian Friend

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Can't speak a word of Brazilian Portuguese (or Portuguese Portuguese for that matter)

Little Esther Bueno
heroic (brave) Champion
She is always
in Brazil's heart

In doubles
and singles
She is the best
In the whole world
she makes a carnival

I didn´t know about this samba.
Brazilian Friend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #79

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Here's the pic I promised. She does explain that her young son,
Morgan, who was in the Madison Square Garden crowd that night with dad,
was the one who exclaimed "the fat ones are playing the skinny ones"!
Yeah, it's another horrible scan, but it's better than nothing!

I thought King was a small woman but she is more taller than Maria.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #80

Two of Bueno´s moments:

The first one is from Wimbledon 1960. Maria looks great in this picture. Healthful I mean. I've never known anything about fashion but look how this dress intensifies the beauty of Maria´s ballet.

The second picture shows Maria in Wimbledon 1962. It was her match against Sukova.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wimbledon---1960-e-1962.jpg (41.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Apr 2nd, 2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #81

Another one of Maria´s ballet

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : May 1st, 2006 at 03:57 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #82
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Brazilian Friend. Are there any websites about her (in Portuguese or English)?

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #83

Quote:
Hey Brazilian Friend. Are there any websites about her (in Portuguese or English)?
Andy, the websites about her in portuguese are, generally, a little empty in informations. I like these ones:

http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/m...aria_bueno.htm
http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/idolo.../wimbledon.htm

The first one give a lot of informations of Maria´s history. The second adress give informations of her 1959 Wimbledon´s Championship. I never saw any brazilian websites that bring the scores of her matches. I just saw it here. By the way, Merci beaucoup for that informations.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #84
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Andy, the websites about her in portuguese are, generally, a little empty in informations. I like these ones:

http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/m...aria_bueno.htm
http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/idolo.../wimbledon.htm

The first one give a lot of informations of Maria´s history. The second adress give informations of her 1959 Wimbledon´s Championship. I never saw any brazilian websites that bring the scores of her matches. I just saw it here. By the way, Merci beaucoup for that informations.
Thanks so much Brazilian Friend - I know just the man who can help me translate them!!!

By the way, does Maria Esther have a brother called Pedro? If so, it looks like she played Mixed Doubles with him at the 1962 US Championships. They lost in the first round to Ron Holmberg & Jan Lehane 63 36 61.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #85

Quote:
By the way, does Maria Esther have a brother called Pedro? If so, it looks like she played Mixed Doubles with him at the 1962 US Championships. They lost in the first round to Ron Holmberg & Jan Lehane 63 36 61.
Andy! Yes, Pedro is the name of Maria´s brother. They played some tournaments together in 1962. Pedro was a good player but he didnt gain the same prestige of his sister. I guess he was in the brazilian team in Davis Cup in this epoch. But I´m not sure about this.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #86
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
This must be him

http://www.daviscup.com/teams/player...layer=10003206
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Yeah, Rollo! Probably its him.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #88

Last year, in an exhibition against Hingis
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Jogo com Hingis.jpeg (16.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 27th, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #89
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Rollo - Estherzinha said there was a year she reached German Final, but in semifinal she got a lot of cramps and leg injurys. The doctor said if she plays the tendon get worst. The tournament organizer told her "I need you". She decided to play the final and felt all the pains of injury. In the end of the match, he gave her a big children bear (you know, a kind of Pooh). She had to carry the big bear on her back journey.
Was there any indication which year this was, Brazilian Friend? I'm more inclined to think it was 1960 than 1966 but either way in two tight years it could be quite influential as regards the rankings.

Ther is an awful lot of information out there we're not aware of.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #90

She didn´t mention the year, Chris. I think it was 1964 just for the reason that a person who plays with a lot of injurys and cramp didn´t play well the match. And in the 64 final, she lost easily to Court to 6/1 6/1.

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 29th, 2006 at 02:42 PM.