Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #61
country flag Brazilian Friend

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside
Hi Brazilian Friend.

Maria was involved in the match which introduced me to tennis - the 1964 Wimbledon final in which she beat Margaret Smith. I was enthralled by her sheer artistry.

Hi, Chris! Maria said Wimbledon 64 was the title she will never forget. She lost a lot of years for the sake of hepatitis, knee problems, injurys... "I played against Margaret who was the best of the world, the defending champion. People said I didn“t have fitness to figth her. So, it was 3 sets against the best of the world. Against all things..."

She said when she left Wimbledon, a newspaper brought the notice "Won the one that we want to".

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 4th, 2006 at 04:43 PM.
Brazilian Friend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #62

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos
Yes it would be interesting to hear more about the relationship between Maria and Darlene. I have their Wimbledon singles final on video and it always cracks me up to watch the ending when Darlene keeps showering Maria with kisses after the match. You can see Maria starting to look very uncomfortable and she starts to shy from Darlene! Love it!
I guess Darlene loved to kiss Wimbledons champions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Darlene e Gibson.jpg (47.5 KB, 21 views)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #63

Estherzinha, in the last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Estherzinha-em-um-heliporto.jpg (99.7 KB, 25 views)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #64
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Friend
I guess Darlene loved to kiss Wimbledons champions.
Yes, but only the womens Wimbledon champions!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #65

Maria 64th anniversary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aniversario.jpg (10.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg aniversario2.jpg (12.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 11th, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
dec 59, won Victorian d Holstein 61 64 qf, Carter-Reitano 61 46 61 sf, Truman 60 57 64
Pictures of the final
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #67
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Thanks for sharing the story Brazilian Friend poor girl-always getting injured. Her body frame (and style too a little) reminds me of Hana Mandlikova-though of course Bueno won a lot more.

This is just my opinion, but I think Estherzinha would have had a schedule more like Margaret Court-because she could command the big appearance fees outside the US. Unlike Court though, I don't see her trashing women's lib.
It is a shame that her career was cut short before the 1970 revolution. I too think she'd have been supportive of BJK. At 31 (her age in 1970), I don't know if financially she'd have had more to gain by playing pro events and, possibly, losing in the earlier rounds or by agreeing guaranteed appearance fees. We were also denied any meeting between La Bueno and Evonne or Chris, unfortunately.

It is also sad that Maria's career did not overlap more with BJK's. That may seem like an odd statement at first sight but when you think that Maria's last major triumph (and final) came in Sept 66, just three months after BJK's first grand slam title at Wimbledon, you realise that their years at the very top were more in series than parallel.

Her comments on Nancy Richey are interesting in the context of nancy's own remarks on here that maria was THE dream doubles partner. Obviously, they found a way to meld their contrasting styles into a doubles partnership effective enough to win the 66 Wimbledon.

Keep the information and pics coming, Brazilian Friend (in Portuguese too if necessary. It's fantastic to learn more about this great player.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #68

"The tournaments didn“t give me a lot of money".

"They gave me umbrella, kid“s bears (the one that girls sleeping with), little radio, nightgown... I still have everything".

"Nowadays, people says it“s too difficult play for one dollar million...I played for an umbrella..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964.jpg (33.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Troféu 1964.jpg (32.2 KB, 22 views)
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #69

Quote:
My thoughts exactly Santorofan. 3 staues! And I've yet to see a picture of even the one statue I knew about.
This is one of the Estherzinha“s statues in Sao Paulo.

Hey, Rollo! Maria always said she likes the ones who play in an artistic way. So, I presume she liked Evonne“s game. But what is the Evonne“s vision about the brazilian? What she talked about Maria?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Estįtua de Estherzinha em Sćo Paulo.gif (5.8 KB, 21 views)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #70
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hey, Rollo! Maria always said she likes the ones who play in an artistic way. So, I presume she liked Evonne“s game. But what is the Evonne“s vision about the brazilian? What she talked about Maria?

Funny you mention that-because while Evonne got compared to Maria ALL the time-I never heard her comment about it. Their careers didn't overlap much-maybe that's why.

P.S. I can answer the question about

Quote:
Does anybody know about the year and the tournament of this picture?
It's her winning the Japan Open in the mid 70s (74?) I can tell by her hairstyle-and can barely make out part of a what looks like Japanese writing.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #71
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
I've been fortunate enough to be able to watch two of her matches from the early to mid-60s, and she's playing against Margaret Court in one, and Billie Jean King in the other, both of whom were either at or very close to the top of their respective games. Maria's shotmaking is incredible. I am still unable to discern an identifiable weakness in her stroke production- from anywhere on the court. Lots of players have a big shot or big serve or great volleys. Maria had it all, and you could tell she had that artists temperament with her gift as well, sometimes trying for too much of a perfectly dazzling shot under pressure. That's what I like about her the most- you know from watching her matches that there's going to be a moment of "OH!" where she absolutely sparkles. In comarison to Goolagong, Maria was a much more aggressive player, with a better volley and a better serve. I think my favorite shot from her (and I hope to see so many more) is when Margaret Smith has Maria at the net, and hits the perfect lob- low with pace, and Maria races back to the baseline and cracks and forehand over the shoulder, which didn't win the point outright, but was enough of a shocker for Margaret for her to lose control of the point she should have won.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #72
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Friend
...But what is the Evonne“s vision about the brazilian? What she talked about Maria?
The only thing I've ever seen is from Evonne's autobiography "HOME". She and Maria had been asked to play an exhibition senior women's doubles match prior to the Virginia Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden, in 1988 if memory serves, and they were partners playing against none other than Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals. Evonne jokes in her caption of the photo "the skinny girls against the fat girls"! I'll see if I can dig up the photo tomorrow. I don't recall her writing anything on the event or Maria in her book, but I'll look for that as well.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
She and Maria had been asked to play an exhibition senior women's doubles match prior to the Virginia Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden, in 1988...
Wow! hey, Alfajeffster! Bueno/Goolagong would be the dream team of women“s tennis.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
She and Maria had been asked to play an exhibition senior women's doubles match prior to the Virginia Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden, in 1988...
Wow! Hey, Alfajeffster! Bueno/Goolagong would be the dream team of women“s tennis.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #75

Quote:

Being feted by all of Brazil after winning Wimbledon in 1959.
It's a poor pic-but notice she's standing on top of what
looks like a float.
Rollo, Here is this picture in a good size. You know, when Maria came back to Brazil, she was a big star. In 1959, Brazil had a lot of champions players: Eder Jofre, Maria Esther Bueno, Ademar Ferreira da Silva, male basketball team, male soccer team. The president Juscelino wanted to make a homage to all that players.

You can see in the second picture Estherzinha“s band. It is written "World“s tennis champion of 1959".

In the third picture, another one of Juscelino“s congratulions to Maria.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desfile de Estherzinha.jpg (92.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg esther_campea.jpg (14.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpeg maria4.jpeg (8.4 KB, 22 views)