Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM   #46
country flag Brazilian Friend

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Some Estherzinha´s picture I have

Maria and Darlene Hard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Estherzinha e Darlene.jpg (44.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 4th, 2006 at 10:38 AM.
Brazilian Friend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM   #47

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Estherzinha against Nancy Richey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forest Hills 1960 - Estherzinha contra Nancy Richey.jpg (41.5 KB, 34 views)
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM   #48

1960 - Wimbledon´s dish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wimbledon 1960.jpg (39.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 7th, 2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #49

Estherzinha and Tinling
Estherzinha and Fraser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967 - Estherzinha e Ted Tinling.jpg (73.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Forest Hills 1959 - Estherzinha e Neal Fraser.jpg (48.5 KB, 22 views)
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM   #50
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Great pictures Brazilian Friend! Everything about her said "graceful", but I especially love her service motion-as in your picture of her and Nancy Richey.

Here's Maria Ester celebrating the 125th anniversary of the kent Chmps in Beckenham, England (2004)

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM   #51
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
The club wrote a short bio of her too-it says she copied the grip of Bill Tilden.

From the page:

Tournament Record & Other Honours
  • Italian Championships Singles winner 1958, 1961, 1965; Singles finalist 1962, 1967; Doubles winner 1962; Doubles finalist 1959; mixed finalist 1964
  • Brazilian Federation Cup team member 1965, 1976 and 1977
  • Pan American Games Champion in 1963
  • Declared World Champion 1959 and 1960 and ranked in top ten until 1968
  • Voted Athlete of the Year by the Associated Press in 1959
  • Amassed a total 589 career titles !
  • Inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1978
  • Honoured in Brazil with an airmail postage stamp, three statues, a mural and sculpture
  • Named the Best Latin American Tennis Player of the 20th Century to celebrate the Millennium

Here's the link and a picture of ger with chmapagne

http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...bueno_biog.php

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM   #52
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Rollo - Estherzinha said there was a year she reached German Final, but in semifinal she got a lot of cramps and leg injurys. The doctor said if she plays the tendon get worst. The tournament organizer told her "I need you". She decided to play the final and felt all the pains of injury. In the end of the match, he gave her a big children bear (you know, a kind of Pooh). She had to carry the big bear on her back journey.
Thanks for sharing the story Brazilian Friend poor girl-always getting injured. Her body frame (and style too a little) reminds me of Hana Mandlikova-though of course Bueno won a lot more.

Quote:
I always had one doubt: If she played more in Open Era, would she helped Billie Jean? Or would she be like Margaret?
This is just my opinion, but I think Estherzinha would have had a schedule more like Margaret Court-because she could command the big appearance fees outside the US. Unlike Court though, I don't see her trashing women's lib.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:34 PM   #53
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
YIPPEE- THIS MARIA BUENO THREAD IS FINALLY STARTING TO OPEN UP!

I especially like the picture of her serving to Nancy Richey, and the 1960 Wimbledon trophy photo. I can't wait to see more- keep 'em coming- many thanks to BrazilianFriend and Rollo!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:15 PM   #54
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
I'd like to hear about Maria's thoughts on Darlene Hard. The two were close friends and a dominant doubles team. Darlene gave up her best chance to win Wimbledon in '61 to care for Maria. However, Maria was tremendously angry with Darlene when she left the court for a break deep in a third set mixed final when Maria's team was close to victory. Darlene's team won and Maria vowed never to play with her again. Of course, they continued to play together.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #55
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it would be interesting to hear more about the relationship between Maria and Darlene. I have their Wimbledon singles final on video and it always cracks me up to watch the ending when Darlene keeps showering Maria with kisses after the match. You can see Maria starting to look very uncomfortable and she starts to shy from Darlene! Love it!

Thanks for those great pics Rollo and Brazilian Friend. Great to see Maria still hitting up recently. And loved that one of her serve against Nancy and the Teddy Tinling one - you can see Ginny and Frankie in there as well but I don't recognise most of those girls.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #56

Does anybody know about the year and the tournament of this picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mariaesther.jpg (6.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 4th, 2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #57

The first picture shows Estherzinha and Ingrid Metzner - the brazilian team - on the podium. They were third in South American tournament. The small one on the rigth shows the Pedros of her life: Her brother and her dad. The third shows Estherzinha when she was 14 years old.

The second picture shows Estherzinha and Ingrid. Ingrid had a lot of victorys over Bueno when they were in Brazil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Estherzinha.jpg (53.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Estherzinha-e-Ingrid.jpg (52.0 KB, 20 views)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #58

Estherzinha and the brazilian president (1959)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Estherzinha-e-Juscelino.jpg (46.3 KB, 22 views)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #59

This was in 1959. I don´t know the name of this tournament
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959.jpg (91.3 KB, 21 views)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #60

Another one from Forest Hills - 1960
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forest Hills 1960.jpg (44.3 KB, 27 views)