Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #32
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
A very young Maria-sometime in the late 1950s
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Being feted by all of Brazil after winning Wimbledon in 1959.
It's a poor pic-but notice she's standing on top of what
looks like a float.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #34
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/j...0_6745.jpg&v=O

Stamps of La Bueno from 1960

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 14th, 2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #35
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
A very young Maria-sometime in the late 1950s
What a great picture! Thanks Rollo! You know, Conchita Martinez bears somewhat of a resemblance to this photo.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:09 PM   #36
country flag Brazilian Friend

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Hey guys! Iīm brazilian and itīs great to see a thread about Estherzinha. Her biography is fantastic. I didnīt see her in action. I just saw an old videos and documentarys about her. Unfortunately, we didnīt have another brazilian great tennis player. Niege Dias became 32# in 80īs and Andreia Vieira beat Hana Mandlikova in the French Open first round (89). Estherzinha doesnīt made many interviews to brazilian midia, but last year she did. She talk about Federer, her trips, the difference between todayīs and pastīs games, her achievements, Margaret Court, Billie Jean, Althea Gibson...
My english isnīt so good. I hope you understand
Brazilian Friend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:48 AM   #37
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Hey guys! Iīm brazilian and itīs great to see a thread about Estherzinha. Her biography is fantastic. I didnīt see her in action. I just saw an old videos and documentarys about her. Unfortunately, we didnīt have another brazilian great tennis player. Niege Dias became 32# in 80īs and Andreia Vieira beat Hana Mandlikova in the French Open first round (89). Estherzinha doesnīt made many interviews to brazilian midia, but last year she did. She talk about Federer, her trips, the difference between todayīs and pastīs games, her achievements, Margaret Court, Billie Jean, Althea Gibson...
You're English is great Brazilian Friend- welcome to the Blast From the Past!

So most Brazilians know her as Estherzinha? Is the zihha a feminine ending?
Hope we hear more from you. Angela Mortimer wrote a bit about Bueno in her book-I'll see if I can post some.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:18 AM   #38
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Friend
Hello Brazilian Friend

Always nice to see another Bueno fan. She was one of my faves - I mean I was too young to see her live but I mean on video. Such a graceful beauty, with shots like razor sharp arrows!

Do you have her interview on video or do you remember it? I would love to know what her thoughts were on the difference between the past and present and also her thoughts on her peers - Gibson, Court & King etc.

I was so lucky to see her playing in the veterans at Wimbledon once and then she very kindly had a photo taken with me. Talk about a moment in heaven for me! Anyway, she still had her beautiful shots but she would have just been a faint shadow of her former dazzling self.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM   #39
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Rollo, "zinha" in it's literal sense means "little" but it's more of an endearing, affectionate or cute way of calling someone or something. For instance, girls often say to one another "tchauzinho" when saying farewell (literally means "little bye bye").

Brazilian Friend, I spoke to someone from Brazil on Orkut a few months back who knew a lot about Bueno, telling him he should check out this Blast thread sometime..that wasn't you was it?? Anyway, he mentioned to me that recently when Guga and some male pros (as well as Anna K and Martina Hingis) played on a specially-built court/stadium right on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janiero - Maria Bueno played some points as well and the crowd went wild chanting, "Maria, Maria, Maria." I wish I could've been there!
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #40
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hey guys! Iīm brazilian and itīs great to see a thread about Estherzinha. Her biography is fantastic...
Welcome to the blast Brazilian Friend! (Anyone) what is the name of her biography? I didn't know there was one in existence. Is it still in print, or was this published in Brazil? I'd love to read it, probably more than any other retired player (male or female) that I can think of, although I'm also not sure if Lew and Jennie Hoad ever sat down and wrote anything. Maria's play is the ideal for me, because she loved to take a crack at the ball, and you can see from watching her on video that not only did she have all the shots, she could put them all together masterfully. I'm still studying her forehand volley, trying to learn how she punched it so well with directional control.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #41
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hi and welcome! Maria is a big fave of many of us on here because of her graceful style and shotmaking. I'd love to read what you remember of the interview you mentioned - especially her comments about her achievements, Althrea, Margaret and Billie Jean. Anything, basically. What is the title of her biography? I'd love to get hold of a copy.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM   #42
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Hi Brazilian Friend.

Maria was involved in the match which introduced me to tennis - the 1964 Wimbledon final in which she beat Margaret Smith. I was enthralled by her sheer artistry. I would rate Maria alongside Evonne Goolagong as the most naturally gifted women tennis players of all time. When they were on form they were pure magic. It would almost blow your mind to try and imagine what a meeting between these two when they were at their best would have been like.

Of course the downside to this is that players like this can be horrible when off-form!

It is just a pity Maria was dogged by ill health otherwise she could have mounted a real challenge to Margaret's domination of the game through much of the 60s. If Margaret and Maria played each other when at their beat I wouldn't have liked to predict the outcome but perhaps just that touch of brilliance might have swung a vital point Maria's way.

The Wimbledon title was all but her's for the taking in 1961 - and that would have elevated her to the select band who have won 3 years in a row - until she was struck down by hepatitis during RG. To me, one of the oddest results of all time in Slam history was her defeat to Vera Sukova in the 1962 Wimbledon semi. Vera was a competent player at her best on clay and it defies belief that Maria could lose to her on grass in such a crucial match.

She was beset by further injuries and ill health from the end of 1966 and couldn't really challenge right at the very top although was still in the mix but it was a sad way to see her career fizzle out even thouh she did play sporadically in the 70s.

Maybe her health played a part but I don't think she fully pushed herself. In the good old days before the advent of Open Tennis when tournaments would negotiate with players to make an appearance Maria would do very well in this respect but IMO if she reached the semis or so she was more than happy and sometimes didn't go flat out in the later stages leading to numerous losses to players she could have beaten. This is where Margaret had a big advantage over her, Margaret was so competitive and fought every match to the end.

Three Wimbledon's and four US titles is impressive as it is but I always felt her talent could have achieved even more. But she was a joy to watch.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM   #43

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Hi, Santorofan! Iīm the boy from Orkut. You disappeared from there? Iīm new here and I donīt know use all tools here as a wish. Iīm learning.

Hey, Rollo. Thank you. As Santorofan mentioned, yes, brazilian people call her Esterzinha because she left Brazil too young, as a teenager, and also our big affection for her. Itīs really funny read the way you call her: MARIA BUENO.

Hi, TennisVideo! Her interview was made to a magazine. There is another one in video. Itīs in portuguese. I saw in the net months ago.
About the interview she said:

"There is some players Iīve like to watch: Federer, cause heīs an artist. Nowadays the games are the same: baseline, two-hands, hitting, hitting, hitting... The first plan is hit the ball in a strong way. If it doesnīt work you have the second plan: hit more harder then before. And if doesnīt work you must hit more harder then it was....And thatīs all. In Wimbledon final (Sharapova against Serena) you saw a lob and one volley...I mean...Itīs unbelievable. I know itīs really difficult stay hitting and hitting harder until the other make a mistake. They spent hours in this way. You must be in fine shape and must have a strong mind. But this isnīt an interesting game to watch."

"I prefer those ones who play an artistic way. Federer is one step up from the others ( Hey santorofan, help me to translate this: Ele está um passo acima dos outros). With him there is no drama. Heīs good in baseline, have a good net game, create things...Safin plays good too. But for the women itīs all the same. You see one, you see all of them. Except Henin-Hardenne: she has a pretty backhand, she volley, goes to the net, she changes the game. Itīs more interesting watch a game like that. You see a Davenportīs or Serenaīs pratice, itīs amazing the speed of the ball. They hit a ball and you think: Well, that doesnīt come back. But it happens and comes back more harder then before. And so all that russians. The fitness is better then before."

There is more of interview, but translate this to english itīs really difficult to me

Hey, Santorofan. If I put pieces of interview in portuguese, could you translate that?

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 4th, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM   #44

Hey, Rollo! When I said her "biography" I mean her tennis life, pieces that Iīd read from books, encyclopedias, internet... There isnīt any Maria Esther Buenoīs biography book in Brazil. Itīs a shame. If she has importance to female international tennis, to brazilian tennis she would be a godness. You know, but brazilian people doesnīt give her real value. If you ask to anyone between 15-30 years old who is Maria Esther Bueno theyīll say: Who???

Guga has more prestige than Estherzinha in Brazil. Although she won Wimbledon and Guga stopped in Quarters. I think to myself, if she plays in our epoch, would she has all the prestige she deserves?

In 1976, she lost to Sue Barker in R16. Since then, any brazilian female got the same. I feel that english people give her more prestige then anyone.

Althea Gibson: She said she had the honor of played with her because Althea was the Wimbledonīs champion. They played in Caribe and Althea liked Buenoīs game. She thought Estherzinha was a good partner to her. She invited her to play Wimbledon doubles.

Nancy Richey: She played singles very well. But she was a clay player. She never goes to the net. She donīt know volley. When we made a team in Wimbledon (66) she stays in baseline and I at the net. We won it. I guess it was the greater emotion of her life.

Billie Jean: It was hard to play against her because her personality.

Margaret Court: She had power in her shots, and had a excellent fitness. She hits very hard. She didnīt give up so easy. It was a challenge by all games. Every match was a battle for every point.

I always had one doubt: If she played more in Open Era, would she helped Billie Jean? Or would she be like Margaret?

Last edited by Brazilian Friend : Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
All your Bueno digging is much appreciated Santorofan. The one pic with confetti raining down on her is cool.

Chris-I suspect Maria played those German events for a simple reason: they paid her a LOT of money. Since Bueno was a big draw she often could (and apparently did if others are right) demand big bucks. Billie Jean said it was rumoured Maria got 1,000 dollars to enter some events in the 1960s. Contrast this to Julie Heldman, who was getting $150 a week when she was #5 in the world in 1969.
Rollo - Estherzinha said there was a year she reached German Final, but in semifinal she got a lot of cramps and leg injurys. The doctor said if she plays the tendon get worst. The tournament organizer told her "I need you". She decided to play the final and felt all the pains of injury. In the end of the match, he gave her a big children bear (you know, a kind of Pooh). She had to carry the big bear on her back journey.