Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #16
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry if this has been posted before but I just stumbled across two nice articles on the same website. The first celebrates the 125th anniversary of Beckenham LTC (home of the Kent Grass Court championships until 1996) Championships and the second a lovely biography of Maria Bueno, to whom, it seems, a special exhibition is dedicated in the pavillion at the club. Here are the links:

Beckenham history:
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...ersary_125.php

Bueno article
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...bueno_biog.php

there's also a brief history of the tournament
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk/legends.php
(complete with a wonderful photo of BJK/Dame Edna and Mags

and an article reminiscing on the club back in the 1930s.
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...s_memories.php

Well worth a browse!

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #17
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Sorry if this has been posted before but I just stumbled across two nice articles on the same website. The first celebrates the 125th anniversary of Beckenham LTC (home of the Kent Grass Court championships until 1996) Championships and the second a lovely biography of Maria Bueno, to whom, it seems, a special exhibition is dedicated in the pavillion at the club. Here are the links:

Beckenham history:
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...ersary_125.php

Bueno article
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...bueno_biog.php

there's also a brief history of the tournament
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk/legends.php
(complete with a wonderful photo of BJK/Dame Edna and Mags

and an article reminiscing on the club back in the 1930s.
http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...s_memories.php

Well worth a browse!

I enjoyed reading through the sites. During the 60s Beckenham could be an amazing tournament with so many players preparing on grass in England for Wimbledon - in some years it had a stronger field than the Australian Champs.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #18
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Ditto. I didn't realize there were three statues commemorating Bueno in Brazil
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
By SantoroFan Ditto. I didn't realize there were three statues commemorating Bueno in Brazil
My thoughts exactly Santorofan. 3 staues! And I've yet to see a picture of even the one statue I knew about. The section on how the club survived World War Two caught my eye too-the whole bit about the bombing and how they kept that bar running through thick and thin even if there was nothing to drink.

And I just have to love any addition to my Helen Wills picture collection.

Thanks Andy
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #20
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Bueno statue #1

Ok folks, we finally got one: http://www.tenispaulista.com.br/fpt8...ria_esther.jpg

Also, two nice photos of Senhora Bueno, the first one she's reading about her homecoming parade (Sao Paulo, Brazil) after winning her first Wimbledon, 1959:
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/a...ionship plate:
http://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer2/030...er-Bueno_a.jpg

This link regards a tournament for players over 50 that commemorating her:
http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/athle...nnis-coach.htm

Alright Rollo, I'll look for more stuff later

Last edited by Santorofan : Feb 19th, 2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #21
country flag Santorofan

Mais Bueno fotos e links:

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files...80702_EL_T.jpg

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/e...as-maria.shtml ....my Portuguese is a bit rusty these days but I'll attempt to translate some of this interview later on...
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:40 AM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
All your Bueno digging is much appreciated Santorofan. The one pic with confetti raining down on her is cool.

Chris-I suspect Maria played those German events for a simple reason: they paid her a LOT of money. Since Bueno was a big draw she often could (and apparently did if others are right) demand big bucks. Billie Jean said it was rumoured Maria got 1,000 dollars to enter some events in the 1960s. Contrast this to Julie Heldman, who was getting $150 a week when she was #5 in the world in 1969.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #23

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
All your Bueno digging is much appreciated Santorofan. The one pic with confetti raining down on her is cool.

Chris-I suspect Maria played those German events for a simple reason: they paid her a LOT of money. Since Bueno was a big draw she often could (and apparently did if others are right) demand big bucks. Billie Jean said it was rumoured Maria got 1,000 dollars to enter some events in the 1960s. Contrast this to Julie Heldman, who was getting $150 a week when she was #5 in the world in 1969.
La Bueno lost more in lesser tournaments to players she would normally have beaten than Smith or King. Obviously a good win for her opponent but I get the impression Maria didn't really put herself out. She was getting big appearance money and if she reached the semis she wasn't totally bothered if she won or lost.

When it came to the Majors it was a different story.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #24

German Championships

Q/F lost to Renee Schuurman 6-1 6-3
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #25

This samba was written in honour of Maria in 1962 by Haroldo Maranhao of Sao Paulo:

Estherzinha Bueno
Campea varonil
Ela esta sempre
No coracao do Brasil.

Na dupla
E simples
Ela e a tal
No mundo inteiro
Ela fez um carnaval.

Any translation, Santorofan?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #26
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside
This samba was written in honour of Maria in 1962 by Haroldo Maranhao of Sao Paulo:

Estherzinha Bueno
Campea varonil
Ela esta sempre
No coracao do Brasil.

Na dupla
E simples
Ela e a tal
No mundo inteiro
Ela fez um carnaval.

Any translation, Santorofan?
Can't speak a word of Brazilian Portuguese (or Portuguese Portuguese for that matter) but it must go sth like this:

Little Esther Bueno
?varonil? Champion
She is always
in Brazil's heart

In doubles
and singles
She is ?a tal?
In the whole world
she makes a carnival

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Can't speak a word of Brazilian Portuguese (or Portuguese Portuguese for that matter) but it must go sth like this:

Little Esther Bueno
?varonil? Champion
She is always
in Brazil's heart

In doubles
and singles
She is ?a tal?
In the whole world
she makes a carnival
Doesn't quite have the same resonance, does it?!!!!!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #28
country flag Andy T

Quote:

Little Esther Bueno
Manly champion
She is always
in Brazil's heart

In doubles
and singles
She is such (like that?).
In the whole world
she makes a carnival
That's the best I can come up with - probably off the wall!

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM   #29

Nancy (Gunther) said that Maria did not get on with Ann Jones. Maybe things have mellowed with age.

The BBC showed the two of them sitting together very amicably watching yesterday's women's final at Wimbledon.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Poetry in motion.....