Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #181
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow

Thanks for the match report Mark-David Gray had a way with the pen, and he clearly adored grace. Virginia Wade was a big fav of his too.

Bueno's total beauty of movement was on full display in the 64 Wimbledon final. Twice she ran back for court lobs and hit over the shoulder returns that stun the crowd. And on match point a hlaf-volley barely cleared the net for a winner.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #182
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Thanks for the match report Mark-David Gray had a way with the pen, and he clearly adored grace. Virginia Wade was a big fav of his too.

Bueno's total beauty of movement was on full display in the 64 Wimbledon final. Twice she ran back for court lobs and hit over the shoulder returns that stun the crowd. And on match point a hlaf-volley barely cleared the net for a winner.
Did you ever see Bueno live Rollo in her second career?
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #183
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute

An hour-long interview in Portuguese with Maria, during which she reminisces about her career, can be found here.
http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player...+BUENO,00.html

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #184
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
An hour-long interview in Portuguese with Maria, during which she reminisces about her career, can be found here.
http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player...+BUENO,00.html
Thanks for that AndyHow are you my friend? Great to hear from you. Thanks for the link re Bueno. The more old matches from the 60s I see of her the more clear her genius is, a fantastic champion.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #185
country flag Rui.

Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Thanks Andy

Psycho Killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est
fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better
Run run run run run run run away
Rui. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #186
country flag Rui.

Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute

They start the interview by talking about how she was raised and how she was raised by nuns...Then the interviewer comments on the fact that around that time it was so hard for a woman to travel around the world. She said that she received an invitation to play the Orange Bowl at 15 and her parents asked her if that was what she wanted and she said it was and then they let her go...

She said that her main focus was always to play and especially play well. She liked to play many tournaments and to always play in the 3 draws (S,D,M), 3 matches per day 7 days per week so she was playing 21 matches per week in a time when you couldn't have a massage because such a thing didn't exist.

They talk about the financial problems to get out of Brazil to play internationally. She says she had to get out of the country for about a year and that she basically couldn't miss anyone/anything because simply there wasn't money to miss anything and comeback..

She said that she graduated (sth like that) in November of one year and then she only cameback the next November. She played 15 tournaments in Florida and won 14 That was a good arrival to a circuit and kinda like a passport to go to Europe since as she says there were like several circuits around that time (She gave some examples of some circuits like the Australian, Caribbean and an African circuit (?)).

She basically got out from Brazil to play in Florida from there she was invited to play the caribbean circuit then she went to Africa then to Australia. She says that the first time she went to Australia she travelled for 60 hours She stayed 3 months in Australia...

The first time she got out of Brazil to play tournaments her friends from the club were the ones who paid the passage. She talks about the fact that she was really succesful from the start and that she won the Doubles in Wimbledon and Rome on her first try and it was just an unforgettable moment. She says that her winning Rome was a great moment because the italians didn't really consider the women's game but the way she played the way she presented herself just completly captivated them.. She says she won that tournament because the crowd really helped her winning it. She says that really were crazy (in a good way), that they send flowers to the court it was simply unforgettable...

Then she talks about her game how she served, the weightlessness of her net game. She said that her game was all intuition("last second decision tennis") and her opponents kinda thought like: "If even her doesn't know what she's doing how can we know"

Funny moment: The interviewer tells her that she won more than 150 tournaments and she says that all her titles together were around 589 (and she didn't allow him to cut any ). I think she added the national ones in this list..

19 Grand Slam titles Singles: Wimbledon 59, 60,64; USO 59, 63,64,66| Doubles: Wimbledon: 58,60,63,65,66; AO: 60; USO: 60,62,66,68; RG: 60| Mixed: RG: 60
First woman/man to win all four Doubles Slams in the same year

She says that a good thing about tennis is that when you enter its history you simply don't get out, whatever may happen. She says it's really good to know that you're a part of the history of the thing you most like. She says that all that she made was in less than 10 years of a career. She had too many physical problems, hepathitis...

Her thoughts about her wimbledon wins:

1958 Wimbledon Doubles: Althea Gibson was her partner (she had won the tournament in singles before).
1959 Wimbledon Singles: She beat Darlene Hard in 43 minutes
1960 Wimbledon Singles: Beat Sandra Reynolds
1964 Wimbledon Singles: Beat Margaret Court (they show some points at around 17:30), She says that match was one of the best finals of the last decades. She says that there were opponents like her that would just bring the best out of you. She says that with them it was mutual. They both just brought the best out of each other. She says that Margaret was really strong physically, really hard to beat, Margaret was the first of the women who really dedicated herself to gym. Maria says that she herself couldn't do any of that after playing like 21 matches per week there was simply no way you would bring her to a gym.

She said that she played 2 hours in the morning and then all the matches in the afternoon which was about 8 hours a day. They wanted her to play 3 hours a day but that wasn't for her. That was regressing and not progressing. They wanted her to make specific exercises (hit 500 serves to this side, 800 for that one) and that simply wasn't for her cause when you're a natural born player you don't need that. Those who are raised like machines have that necessity.
Her game was about things done on the minute on the ability.

She says that sometimes there were headlines in Australia like this:

"This or that player trained for about 200 hours a day.. Bueno likes the beach" (Serena much?)

Her coach, Harry Hopman (who also training Australian legends such as Laver, Newcombe, Emerson...) lasted about a week as her coach because of that...Bueno simply like the beach

The interviewer says she was the ballet player for the english papers (sth like that) and she says that that really was the main difference between her and Margaret Court..One was a Gym created player the other was a Ballett dancer on the tennis court.

Can't remember who it was but at 22.20 someone talks in english

This is only the first part i'll do the rest later I think

Psycho Killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est
fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better
Run run run run run run run away
Rui. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #187
country flag iainmac

You are great for that translation for this all time great. Thankyou.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #188
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
She said that her main focus was always to play and especially play well. She liked to play many tournaments and to always play in the 3 draws (S,D,M), 3 matches per day 7 days per week so she was playing 21 matches per week in a time when you couldn't have a massage because such a thing didn't exist.

They talk about the financial problems to get out of Brazil to play internationally. She says she had to get out of the country for about a year and that she basically couldn't miss anyone/anything because simply there wasn't money to miss anything and comeback..

Funny moment: The interviewer tells her that she won more than 150 tournaments and she says that all her titles together were around 589 (and she didn't allow him to cut any ). I think she added the national ones in this list..
Thanks for the translation , Hephaestus.

Some random thoughts.

Before Open Tennis many tournaments paid "appearance" money to some stars to play their event. Maria was known to be very well organised in that respect and was generally thought to have received very healthy payments.

She says she always liked to play and to play well. My own opinion is that Maria was receiving good money to play certain events and she was quite happy to reach the semis or so and at this stage didn't exactly "fight to the death" if she didn't feel on. More than the other greats Maria would have losses to players she should comfortably have beaten - but that's just my take.

The 150 figure must include all her doubles titles not just singles.

AndrewTas did an exercise a while back and there have only been 8 lady players who have won more than 100 singles events.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #189
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
Thanks for the translation , Hephaestus.

Some random thoughts.

Before Open Tennis many tournaments paid "appearance" money to some stars to play their event. Maria was known to be very well organised in that respect and was generally thought to have received very healthy payments.

She says she always liked to play and to play well. My own opinion is that Maria was receiving good money to play certain events and she was quite happy to reach the semis or so and at this stage didn't exactly "fight to the death" if she didn't feel on. More than the other greats Maria would have losses to players she should comfortably have beaten - but that's just my take.

The 150 figure must include all her doubles titles not just singles.

AndrewTas did an exercise a while back and there have only been 8 lady players who have won more than 100 singles events.
ChrisThat is interesting re Bueno and the appearance money. I felt via interviews that the finances was a matter that bothered her very much. She did seem to be a little bitter in a way that she achieved so much but just missed out by a decade or so in capitalising on it. I am sure that her comebacks in the 70s were very much motivated by finances and a wish to get some recompense. She couldnt have been back just for the joy of competing as a great champion like her couldnt have enjoyed being very much a non top twenty player. All said though her record is amazing and her titles are a testimony to her genius.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #190
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

I think why the British public adored Maria particularly the men was the same way they adored Dusty Springfield and Sheena Easton. I saw an interview about Sheena and one of those music critics said about her having the "us" factor. In that, the public wanted her to succeed.

Yes, she was Brazilian but she was British same way Sheena is Scottish. Until they crossed the Atlantic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4fJl...AC65B5639CD3B5
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #191
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Bueno in full flight---

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #192
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Bueno in full flight---

Nice pic, Rollo. I still maintain Maria had the best forehand volley in the business. It was a natural punch that she could hit both high and low, and she could put the volley (with pace mind you) on a dime. OH DAMN! This is torture- I just boxed and shipped my VHS tennis video collection, and now every time I come in here, I'm thinking of a match I want to see again!
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #193
country flag rafaelkafka

rafaelkafka has disabled reputation

The great pride of brazilian tennis!
rafaelkafka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote