Venus - Isn't this a little strange? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Venus - Isn't this a little strange?

Venus Williams' best results in 2004 have been on clay. winning Charleston and Warsaw. Okay, so it's a Tier I and a Tier II, but Venus Williams doing best on clay!?!? Wasn't this suppposed to be her worst surface?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #2
country flag kabuki

kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute
I still think clay is Venus' worst surface. She has slumped incredibly since the spring. Confidence is so important, and unfortunately, Venus has none right now on the court. I look for her to bounce back this fall. (And hopefully work on that forehand and second serve)
kabuki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #3
country flag Crazy_Fool

Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
Venus Williams' best results in 2004 have been on clay. winning Charleston and Warsaw. Okay, so it's a Tier I and a Tier II, but Venus Williams doing best on clay!?!? Wasn't this suppposed to be her worst surface?
Yes, but she won those events without running into a top player. In the hard courts/grass she ran into top 10 players and at the moment, she just isn't on that level of play.

Davenport - Dementieva
Crazy_Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #4
country flag kabuki

kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law and order
I have never known Venus not to have any confidence. You people keep over looking the fact that venus has been hurt all year and that is why she has thoes results. During the clay season she started to get her game back and got hurt again and therefore she had another set back. I am looking for Vee to have better results in '05.
Obviously speculation on my part, but the way she either pushes the ball on the forehand, or goes for way too much indicates lack of confidence IMHO.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #5
country flag kabuki

Quote:
I have never known Venus not to have any confidence. You people keep over looking the fact that venus has been hurt all year and that is why she has thoes results. During the clay season she started to get her game back and got hurt again and therefore she had another set back. I am looking for Vee to have better results in '05.
Oh, and "You people" is an obnoxious turn of phrase.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #6
country flag geojango

geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough geojango is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
You people
who people?
geojango is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #7
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki
I still think clay is Venus' worst surface. She has slumped incredibly since the spring. Confidence is so important, and unfortunately, Venus has none right now on the court. I look for her to bounce back this fall. (And hopefully work on that forehand and second serve)
Contrary to popular belief, Venus has a very decent record on clay--- I'll go as far as saying it's actually better that some/most of the so called clay courters currently on tour. Then again , she hasn't won Roland Garros which I guess determines a clay courter
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:59 AM   #8
country flag kabuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001
Contrary to popular belief, Venus has a very decent record on clay--- I'll go as far as saying it's actually better that some/most of the so called clay courters currently on tour. Then again , she hasn't won Roland Garros which I guess determines a clay courter
I agree, but I still think it is her worst surface.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:59 AM   #9
country flag Rtael
Team WTAworld

Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Very few people claim clay as Venus' worst surface. Where have you been the last couple of years that you would think that?

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2

Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #10
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Fool
Yes, but she won those events without running into a top player. In the hard courts/grass she ran into top 10 players and at the moment, she just isn't on that level of play.
Actually, she was eliminated in many events by worse players than she beat at Warsaw and Charleston. Raymond, Rubin, Sprem, Pierce?

Last edited by Volcana : Sep 18th, 2004 at 02:23 AM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:02 AM   #11
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hello???? Wake up and smell the coffee.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:02 AM   #12
Volcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtael
Very few people claim clay as Venus' worst surface. Where have you been the last couple of years that you would think that?
Here' What would the 'great many' say was Venus' worst surface?
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #13
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
Clay has never been Venus's worst surface. Carpet is.
Ever since Venus became a top player in 98, she's done something significant on the dirt.

99 Rome
00 French QF
01 Hamburg
02 French F
03 Warsaw F (injured)
04 Charleston, Warsaw

so Venus can play well on clay. Actually its a great surface for her when playing well, because it brings out her defensive game. And when Venus is playing well defensively on clay she is just so impenetrable because she even more time to get balls back. It's just a bad surface for her when she's not playing well because her opponents can get more balls back too.
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #14
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Actually, she was elimianted in many events by worse players than she beat at Warsaw and Charleston. Raymond, Rubin, Sprem, Pierce?
and she beat Kuznetsova and Zvonareva...I guess they sucked two months ago when Venus beat them but now they are top players....
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #15
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
It´s odd indeed....maybe she just can´t handle the pace when it´s on faster surfaces anymore?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote