Maria Sharapova - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #1
country flag LADIEZ CHAMPION

LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about
Talking Maria Sharapova

Maria’s world is one that few mortals are privileged to experience, a state of nirvana where time slows down and all things seem possible. Sportsmen describe the sensation as being “in the zone”.

In all my years of involvement in tennis I have seen only two other young women who inhabited Maria’s world: Maureen Connolly and Monica Seles. Connolly won the first of her three US Championships in 1951 when she was a few days short of her 17th birthday. From that moment the young American became invincible. Connolly lost only four more tennis matches before a riding accident in 1954 ended her career. In the meantime she had added two more US titles, three at Wimbledon, two French crowns and one in Australia in 1953, the year that she completed the first female grand slam. With Connolly, the moment her head began to bob as she strode purposefully about the court, you knew that her opponent had no chance.

Seles was also 16 when she became the youngest French Open champion in 1990 with a 7-6 6-4 win over then world number one Steffi Graf. A totally focused teenager, full of sound and fury, Seles defied the laws of physics as she blasted the ball with those double-handed forehands and backhands that seemed to be guided to the lines by radar. From January 1990 Seles won eight of the next nine grand slams she entered, beaten only by Graf in the Wimbledon final of 1992. She, too, had developed an aura of invincibility, cut short by the fateful stabbing on 30 April 1993 in Hamburg. She recovered but was never the same player.

Like Seles and Connolly, on that Saturday at the All England Club, Sharapova constructed her rallies like moves on a chessboard. A succession of drives would open up the gap and then bang, checkmate, as the ball was fired into the gap for another winner. “I knew that the power was within me and that I could, if I put my mind to something, I would do it. That’s what I thought about the whole match,” she said afterwards.

Whether Sharapova will be able to maintain the power in future grand slams remains to be seen. With a determination to improve, she is likely to add the missing pieces to her game - volleys, drop shots, a sliced backhand and perhaps greater court speed. “I still have to get stronger, I still have to develop a lot physically,” she admitted.

If Sharapova does continue her present meteoric rate of improvement we could be entering a new golden age in women’s tennis with her, the Williams sisters, the Belgians and of course the Russians.
LADIEZ CHAMPION is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #2
country flag Calimero377

Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADIEZ CHAMPION
Maria’s world is one that few mortals are privileged to experience, a state of nirvana where time slows down and all things seem possible. Sportsmen describe the sensation as being “in the zone”.

In all my years of involvement in tennis I have seen only two other young women who inhabited Maria’s world: Maureen Connolly and Monica Seles. Connolly won the first of her three US Championships in 1951 when she was a few days short of her 17th birthday. ....
"Maria's world" - is that what you call your parallel universe nowadays, grandpa?

Quote:
Seles was also 16 when she became the youngest French Open champion in 1990 with a 7-6 6-4 win over then world number one Steffi Graf. A totally focused teenager, full of sound and fury, Seles defied the laws of physics as she blasted the ball with those double-handed forehands and backhands that seemed to be guided to the lines by radar. From January 1990 Seles won eight of the next nine grand slams she entered, beaten only by Graf in the Wimbledon final of 1992. ....
Oops, has tennis history to be rewritten?
What about Garrison and Ferrando beating Seles at Wimbledon and USO 1990?
Well, well, the Selesians parallel universe!
It's where Shrapnelova will win at least 3 more slams ......

Calimero377 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #3
country flag LADIEZ CHAMPION

LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about LADIEZ CHAMPION has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
"Maria's world" - is that what you call your parallel universe nowadays, grandpa?

Oops, has tennis history to be rewritten?
What about Garrison and Ferrando beating Seles at Wimbledon and USO 1990?
Well, well, the Selesians parallel universe!
It's where Shrapnelova will win at least 3 more slams ......

The only parallel universe nowadays is Steffi's world, grandma.

What about that supastar Lori McNeil and Sanchez Vicario at the 1994 Wimby and 1991 Frenchie. ouch that hurts. how sad
LADIEZ CHAMPION is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #4
country flag Seles-Sharapova
Banned

Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about
Sharapova is just an awesome tennis player, just like Seles but her career will last a lot longer.
Seles-Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #5
country flag Calimero377

Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
The only parallel universe nowadays is Steffi's world, grandma.

What about that supastar Lori McNeil and Sanchez Vicario at the 1994 Wimby and 1991 Frenchie. ouch that hurts. how sad

I never said that Graf won Wim 94 or FO 91.
But that dumbo I was refering to had said that Seles only lost in ONE slam between January 1990 and The Stabbing. A deluded Selesian, you know ...
Calimero377 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #6
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Don´t think Maria´s ever gonna have Monica-like success. She could win two or three more slams, but that´s it.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #7
country flag Crazy_Fool

Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Don´t think Maria´s ever gonna have Monica-like success. She could win two or three more slams, but that´s it.
At the moment, she can only play well on grass, she really needs to improve alot on other surfaces to stand a chance of winning multiple slams.

Davenport - Dementieva
Crazy_Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #8
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Fool
At the moment, she can only play well on grass, she really needs to improve alot on other surfaces to stand a chance of winning multiple slams.

Yep...and that´s why I don´t see her reach Monica-type domination. In fact, I don´t think she´s gonna improve that greatly either. Some people are just what they are..you´ll never see a patient Maria.

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #9
country flag *Karen*

*Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future *Karen* has a brilliant future
It's hard to say how Maria will do in the future. She does need to improve her game on other surfaces. I think it's the same for every 17 year old tennis player. Only time will tell.
*Karen* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #10
Banned

Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about Seles-Sharapova has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Even if she doesn't improve she'll win 2-3 more wimbledons at least. And what makes you think that this 17 year old will not improve anymore. You are clearly a hater.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1
It's hard to say how Maria will do in the future. She does need to improve her game on other surfaces. I think it's the same for every 17 year old tennis player. Only time will tell.
every other 17 year old are not good on any surface, Maria is already a proven grass court expert.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #12
bandabou

Is it me or did I see a cover from SI with the title: Maria vs Lindsay for player of the year?! Wow...what a wimbledon can do for you.

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #13
bandabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seles-Sharapova
every other 17 year old are not good on any surface, Maria is already a proven grass court expert.
Uhum...but you forget one thing: Other russians, other russians.

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #14
bandabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seles-Sharapova
Even if she doesn't improve she'll win 2-3 more wimbledons at least. And what makes you think that this 17 year old will not improve anymore. You are clearly a hater.

Realist...she has at least 5 other russians to contend with ( some who like grass just as much) and there are more coming.

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #15
country flag Crazy_Fool

Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice Crazy_Fool is just really nice
Quote:
Is it me or did I see a cover from SI with the title: Maria vs Lindsay for player of the year?! Wow...what a wimbledon can do for you.
lol, sad isn't it. players like myskina have done more than sharapova yet maria is up for player of the year

Davenport - Dementieva
Crazy_Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote