Why wasnt the 1986 Australian Open played?? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Why wasnt the 1986 Australian Open played??

I was looking at some past results and noticed that this event wasnt even played?? What was the reason?

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #2
country flag buscemi

buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
I was looking at some past results and noticed that this event wasnt even played?? What was the reason?
I think it used to be at the end of the year, but then it was moved to the start of the year. So, in '85, they played it in the fall. Then, rather than playing another one early in '86, they had the next one in early ''87.
buscemi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #3
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
thats right
they had 2 Aus Opens in 1977
when they moved to Dec that year.
that move didnt pay off, so they switched again.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
OOhhhh ic ic hehe..weird..but thanks!

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #5
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
very hard to imagine the Aus Open in December, after the season is over and the YEC is played, everybody on vacation - no wonder half the tour used to skip it...
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #6

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
very hard to imagine the Aus Open in December, after the season is over and the YEC is played, everybody on vacation - no wonder half the tour used to skip it...
the year end champs were in March
the season started in April and was played more or less continuously 52 weeks of year.

1986 changed it
there were 2 year end champs in 1986
one in March
one in Nov
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #7
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Actually the Australian Open was not played after the season-ending championships. Until 1982, when Colgate/Toyota was the tour sponsor, the Colgate/Toyota Championships were held after the Australian Open. When Virginia Slims took over as the overall sponsor in 1983, the tour calendar ran from March-February with the Virginia Slims Championships being held in March. So technically, the 1984 season ran from March 1984 to March 1985. When they decided to move the Australian Open to January, the WTA also wisely changed the schedule to a Jan-Dec calendar, and in order to accommodate this change, the Virginia Slims Championships were held twice in 1986, once in March (as the end of the 1985-86 season), and again in November as the closer for the abbreviated 1986 season.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #8
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg
the year end champs were in March
the season started in April and was played more or less continuously 52 weeks of year.

1986 changed it
there were 2 year end champs in 1986
one in March
one in Nov
The YEC in March, indoors in New York?? What about Miami and IW, did those tournies only start in the late '80/'90s after the change? So i guess the first tournie of the year used to be the Family Circle Cup in April... very weird
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #9

Indian Wells didnt exist then
Miami was played in February
then again 80% of all events were in US
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #10
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The YEC in March, indoors in New York?? What about Miami and IW, did those tournies only start in the late '80/'90s after the change? So i guess the first tournie of the year used to be the Family Circle Cup in April... very weird
Indian Wells started as the Virginia Slims of Palm Springs in 1989. The Lipton was first held in 1985 after the Virginia Slims Championships in March. For instance, the 1986 season started with the Virginia Slims of Florida in Boca Raton in March followed by the Lipton Championships in Boca West. The clay court season started after the Lipton.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #11
vogus

and people complain that the schedule is weird now...
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #12
vogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
Indian Wells started as the Virginia Slims of Palm Springs in 1989. The Lipton was first held in 1985 after the Virginia Slims Championships in March. For instance, the 1986 season started with the Virginia Slims of Florida in Boca Raton in March followed by the Lipton Championships in Boca West. The clay court season started after the Lipton.
aha, so IW and Miami got their big break when the schedule changed...
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #13
country flag samn

Quote:
aha, so IW and Miami got their big break when the schedule changed...
Well, IW was a small event back then. The first edition in 1989 suffered a big setback when Evert, the top seed, lost to her old foe, Mandlikova, in an early round, and the final saw Manuela Maleeva Fragniere play Jenny Byrne. The tournament's fortunes picked up a bit in the 90s when Navratilova and Seles started playing it, and it was renamed the Evert Cup in 1992. However it remained a Tier II event until 1996, and it didn't really become as big an event as it supposedly is today until around 1997-98.

Miami, otoh, started in 1985 as the Lipton Championships held in Delray Beach. Butch Buchholz had always dreamed of starting a two-week tournament for men and women that would become a fifth Grand Slam, and his efforts paid off when Lipton signed on as the title sponsor and the first edition of the tournament was held with the blessings of the ITF. The tournament did have some problems finding a venue, though, and the following year, it was played in Boca West before moving to Key Biscayne in 1987. AFAIR it has always attracted a strong field, and the 1987 event was where Graf thumped Navratilova (6-3 6-2) and Evert (6-1 6-2) in back to back matches to win the title.

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #14

Litpon International Players Champs (Miami) were called the 5th major cos the men played Best of 5 sets in every round (top 32 seeds had a bye), they reduced to best of 3 from 1990 if i recall.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #15
country flag samn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg
Litpon International Players Champs (Miami) were called the 5th major cos the men played Best of 5 sets in every round (top 32 seeds had a bye),
Actually I think the Lipton used to have a draw of 128 just like the Grand Slams (no first round byes) until sometime in the mid-90s when they switched to a draw of 96.