Navratilova to play on in 2005? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #1
country flag JonBcn
Tart with a Heart

JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute
Navratilova to play on in 2005?

From Bob Larson's news:

Quote:
We hear that Martina Navratilova has told her close friends that she will be playing next year, though she's not sure who her partner will be
Hope it's true - I'm sure she could have had a much more successful year this year with a more natural partner...my money's on Kuznetsova, who needs to play less doubles, but get back to winning big matches
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #2
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
She said something at the U.S. Open that made me believe she might play some more, something like it might not be her last one or something. She was there for Svetlana when she won the singles title, so they are obviously still friendly, so maybe that'll be it. I don't think she got the results she would have liked with Lisa, though that irrational dislike for Lisa that I have might be clouding my judgment.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #3
country flag Doraemon

Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts
I'd like to see her play with Mauresmo.
Doraemon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #4
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll play on next year and resume her partnership with Sveta. My hunch is that there'll be a partner-swapping spree at the end of the season and maybe we'll see Black and Likhovtseva , Raymond and Stubbs (or Davenport if she plays on), Clijtoris and Sugiyama back together and, of course, Sveta and Martina.

If she does play on, I'm hoping she'll go back on her decision not to play Oz any more and take her ski break either early or afterwards. Two chances for a slam title are too precious to miss when she can ski on for years afterwards.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #5
country flag selking

selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute
maybe she should play with another young russian. Martina made sveta who she is today. that is where all of us knew her from.

selking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #6
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll play on next year and resume her partnership with Sveta. My hunch is that there'll be a partner-swapping spree at the end of the season and maybe we'll see Black and Likhovtseva , Raymond and Stubbs (or Davenport if she plays on), Clijtoris and Sugiyama back together and, of course, Sveta and Martina.

If she does play on, I'm hoping she'll go back on her decision not to play Oz any more and take her ski break either early or afterwards. Two chances for a slam title are too precious to miss when she can ski on for years afterwards.
I don't think Kim will be playing regular doubles when she comes back so I doubt Ai will want a semi-regular partner. I felt sorry for Ai when Elena had to withdraw from the US Open semis to concentrate on singles. I don't think Ai would like that happening again too often and would possibly prefer a doubles regular like Stubbs or Likhovtseva. I also think Svetlana might cut back on the doubles next year although I would like to see her and Martina play next year or Martina to play another year at least. I also doubt Raymond and Stubbs will reunite as I read somewhere it's still quite frosty between them although that might have changed now.

I think Martina needs someone like Sveta who has that extra firepower from the back. With Raymond this year they have sometimes looked a bit lightweight.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #7
CoryAnnAvants#1

CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute
Martina has had a lot of compliments towards Sugiyama recently, so I would really love to see them playing together. To me, that seems like the most realistic option.

I have a feeling Kuznetsova will not cut back on doubles next year though. She may end up having to do what Kim did, which is get a serious injury in order to realize she's playing too much.
CoryAnnAvants#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #8
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Ai needs a consistent doubles partner so I agree..having Sugiyama on her side would be great!

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #9
country flag rhz

rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by selking
maybe she should play with another young russian. Martina made sveta who she is today. that is where all of us knew her from.
Martina did not make her who Sveta is right now, Arantxa did!!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #10
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
I think Svetlana made Svetlana who she is today. You can't win an Oscar without doing it yourself (unless your name is Norma Shearer) and you can't win the U.S. Open for tennis without doing it yourself either!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #11
country flag selking

selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhz
Martina did not make her who Sveta is right now, Arantxa did!!
martina gave sveta a name in tennis. No one ever heard of her before she played with the greatest player ever

selking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #12
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Well Sveta did played doubles with Arantxa in 2002 before playing with Martina last year..so Id say both Arantxa and Martina gave some pretty good advice to this youngster.

Pretty lucky for her to play with these 2 great champions.

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #13
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute
Martina will play on next year, I guarantee it!! and Im so happy about it!!

She is seriously, the best player to have as your fave - I'll be happily following her matches into her 50's if Im lucky!!
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 02:54 AM   #14
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future
I would love to watch her play with Ai Sugiyama...
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 03:46 AM   #15
country flag SelesFan70

SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute
She should play with Dulko. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...right?

to infinity

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote