Mauresmo defends her rise to No1 (article) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1
country flag DelMonte

DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future
Mauresmo defends her rise to No1 (article)

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...27432974.html#

Mauresmo defends her rise to the top
Paris
September 13, 2004

Newly crowned world No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo has hit back at critics who claim she needs to have won a grand slam title to justify being called the sport's best player.

Mauresmo, 25, deposed Justine Henin-Hardenne at the top of the WTA rankings on Friday without having to lift a racquet when her rival for top place, Lindsay Davenport, was knocked out of the US Open in the semi-finals by Svetlana Kuznetsova.

"The points system has existed for 30 years and it's not for me to criticise it," said Mauresmo, the first Frenchwoman to hold top spot. "This is something I want to keep.

"It has happened for me. I couldn't achieve it before because of injury, but it is something I have searched for."

Mauresmo's best grand slam performance remains her Australian Open runner-up spot in 1999.

This year, she was a semi-finalist at the French Open and Wimbledon.

Having lost in the quarter-finals at the US Open on Wednesday to Elena Dementieva, she admitted it was an agonising wait for her to discover whether she would become the new world No.1.

"Since losing to Dementieva, I had been very tense and impatient," Mauresmo said. "The waiting was terrible. I was obsessed with the world No.1 place being so close.

"I didn't see the first two sets of the Kuznetsova-Davenport match and when I switched on the television, they were in the final set. At the end, I said: 'That's it, it's happened.' It was my dream for two-and-a-half years. I was very emotional. It hasn't really sunk in yet."

Mauresmo said she hoped to inspire more French youngsters to take up the sport.

"I am very proud to be the first Frenchwoman to be No.1 and I would like to inspire young players and show them it is possible," she said. "I can't compare what being No.1 is like to winning a grand slam, but I hope so soon."

- AFP
DelMonte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #2
Chance
Keeper of Secrets

Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future
bizarre

Veelieve
Chance is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #3
country flag ~ The Leopard ~

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
Amelie is sometimes too candid for her own good. I would have been getting obsessive, too, but it might not be a good idea to admit it.

Still, she's always been very open and honest. It's one of the things I like about her.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
How can you not like this person? She's too real, and let's keep it
that way.

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #5
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
to me,mary pierce is the most successful french woman cuz of her multiple slam titles

but nevertheless, amelie's consistency has earnt her the number 1 ranking
jimbo mack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #6
country flag Lapin

Lapin has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ The Leopard ~
Still, she's always been very open and honest. It's one of the things I like about her.
Me too!! and I'm so happy for her!!
Lapin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #7
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
I love Amelie's candor in this article. Makes me want to root for her even more.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #8
country flag Harju.
Ferosh Warrior ♥

Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute
Momo rocks

Harju. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #9
country flag MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute
love momo
MARIA SHARAPOVA: "Amélie, you know it doesn't really matter at this point. I mean, I'd love to, I mean, Amélie is No. 1 in the world. She's playing great tennis. You know, I love that challenge of going out there and competing against the best in the world."
You'd love to what, Maria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
This Amelie bashing gets more ludicrous by the day! What do you want her to do, crawl back to the chair???? For heavens sake who gives a toss how she gets back to the chair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie

Amelie FINALLY won two slams I mean let the woman RUN to her fucking chair.
MinnyGophers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #10
country flag Mariangelina

Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of Mariangelina has much to be proud of
Yeah, love her candor. I'm sick of formulaic little answers about things like this.
And I buy the bar a double round of crown
And everybody's getting down
And this town ain't never gonna be the same.
Cause I saddle up my horse and I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
Cause the girls, they are so pretty...

All
ez Amélie!

"My coach told me I had to expect, you know, some long rallies and stuff. So, you know, I was ready for this."
--Amelie Mauresmo breaking down the intricate nature of Team Mauresmo coaching strategies.
Mariangelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #11
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
I guess what critics want Amelie to say are, "I don't deserve to be number one," or "If I could give it back I would" or even, "I am embarrased to be number one without winning a Grand Slam."

Give me a f&^)ing break. It is not Amelie's fault in the first place the ranking system is the way it is. The fact remains, she is the worlds top ranked player and if critics like or it or not, that is not going to change until the next few tournaments in the fall.

I'm actually not a big fan of Amelie, but I have always respected her and I do so even more now with her comments.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #12
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
she didn't make the RG semis if memory serves. you would think they would actually check facts like this especially in a story of this nature.
switz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #13
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #14
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
She is very nice and honest..

It is not her fault that she became top-ranked player when she should not have become one.. It is system's fault.. And she has every reason to celebrate.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #15
country flag Ekkekko
Team WTAworld

Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute Ekkekko has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
She is very nice and honest..

but

Quote:
It is not her fault that she became top-ranked player when she should not have become one.. It is system's fault.. And she has every reason to celebrate.
Ekkekko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote