Which was the most surprising GS champion this year? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who was the most surprising GS Champ this year?

Anastasia Myskina - French Open 14 28.57%
Maria Sharapova - Wimbledon 18 36.73%
Svetlana Kuznetsova - US Open 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #1
country flag Lemonskin.

Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute
Which was the most surprising GS champion this year?

If someone came up to you at the start of the year and said "Three Russians will win Grand Slam titles this year", you would have laughed. Which one was the most "out of left field"? Which one, if you were told who would win what, would you just say "No way, it CANNOT happen" to?
grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-
nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-
kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?
Lemonskin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #2
country flag Lemonskin.

Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute
I went with Svetlana. I never, ever, ever expected her to beat Davenport. Gee, I'll bet getting beaten by Russian teens in GS Semi's when you're an overwhelming favourite to win is getting pretty old for Lindsay...
grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-
nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #3
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
I chose Sveta. It just seemed so out of the blue, as her hardcourt season had nothing special in it at all.

I would have named Elena D as one of the three Russinas to win a Slam if I'd been asked earlier this year.

But Sveta, Maria, Nastya and ElenaD have done huge wonders for Russian tennis and especially at the GS level.
DEETHELICK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #4
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
Myskina I guess, I mean i always thouyght the other two would win slams but not THIS year you know. Certainly Sveta is the biggest shock of the lot to me, but in terms of what I thought they would achieve Nastya is the biggest for sure.
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5
country flag !<blocparty>!
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.

!<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute
definately sharapova for me, just becuase of the players she beat, and her amazing performance in the final, everyone expected Serena to roll her. Whereas in the other two finals, no1 was a CLEAR fave

Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #6

!<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute
oh, and the fact she is 17 also

Go Rafa.

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #7
country flag Lemonskin.

Maria won a tournament in the lead-up to Wimbledon at least...
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #8

well, shaul won a similar event before the French open.....

Go Rafa.

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #9
country flag vutt
Team WTAworld

vutt has disabled reputation
Myskina on clay!

Maria was pretty good on grass before as was Sveta on hard courts, but I was surprised to see Myskina doing so well on clay w/o major wins before GS Title.
vutt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #10
country flag Lemonskin.

Yeah... but clay always throws up a surprise winner... witness the mens final!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #11
country flag Vass22

Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future
Justine, just because she's not in the poll.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #12
country flag Lemonskin.

You can't say that Justine was a SURPRISE winner though. She was the top seed at the AO.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #13
country flag 10nisfanofruz

10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all
Sharapova because everyone seemed to think that Serena would win it but they were wrong!
Before the match I didn't expect Maria to win so I cheered the underdog.
It was surprising to me how good Maria was on the court that day. And suddenly she became the queen of Wimbledon
10nisfanofruz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #14
country flag Vass22

Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future
Actaully, Sharapova was the most surprizing for me. I doubted that she can win even when she was in the final. Where as in case of Myskina I believed she can do it in the semis...
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #15
country flag JohnBoy

JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all
Anastasia Myskina is my surprise.. I never expected her to win, I always assumed that she would be a consistant Top 10 Player. Sharapova and Kusnetsova I am only surprised that it happended so early in their careers.. Objectively these two were the ones with the more talent and with the possibility of a future grand slams. For Maria and Svetlana it happened sooner than most imagined..
JohnBoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote