The 20 Greatest *Active Singles* Players on the WTA Tour - Page 51 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #751
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The 20 Greatest *Active Singles* PLayers on the WTA Tour

Oh, also can we seriously have a more structured list of achievements? Seriously, everything is all over the place, and especially since this is greatest active singles player I don't see why you list something like mixed doubles slam title before other singles title..
Advertisement

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #752
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

Maria i believe was winning the US Open in 2006 no matter what, she just looked Hungry for another Slam and that hunger took her to victory. it was also the first time she ever defeated Amelie in the Semi-final which helped her confidence for the final.

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #753
country flag justinehfan

justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
Even if not Kim in 2006 was losing regularly to Mauresmo, Sharapova, and Henin all year, so she definitely was not beating Maria at the U.S Open this particular year.
Wasn't Kim injured most of 2006 though? She had to retire vs Mauresmo at the AO, and didn't play after Wimbledon.
justinehfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #754
country flag justinehfan

justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light justinehfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieOwen3 View Post
Maria i believe was winning the US Open in 2006 no matter what, she just looked Hungry for another Slam and that hunger took her to victory. it was also the first time she ever defeated Amelie in the Semi-final which helped her confidence for the final.
I don't know, for me it's hard to say.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #755
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinehfan View Post
Wasn't Kim injured most of 2006 though? She had to retire vs Mauresmo at the AO, and didn't play after Wimbledon.
Kim played Maria at the 2006 Acura Classic in the final which is after wimbledon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYUV_IDiXU8

Maria got her first win over her, Kim got injured in canada i believe a week or 2 b4 the us open

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #756
country flag justinehfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieOwen3 View Post
Kim played Maria at the 2006 Acura Classic in the final which is after wimbledon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYUV_IDiXU8

Maria got her first win over her, Kim got injured in canada i believe a week or 2 b4 the us open
Oh sorry. My mistake. Still, she did miss the US Open, and was bandaged in a lot of her matches that year.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #757
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinehfan View Post
I wouldnt say most of the year, but my memory might be off. She injured herself in the 3rd set of the AO semi with Mauresmo but didnt miss much time after. Then injured herself during the Canadian Open match with a young Canadian, and missed the U.S Open but was back for the fall events.

I do remember she lost something like 11 times in a row to Clijsters, Mauresmo, and Sharpova from fall 2005-winter 2007. She obviously wasnt injured most of the time to be playing enough to cop up all those losses.

I am not interested in re-starting a long debate like I had another thread if this was prime Kim or Kim in a slump or whatever you like, but either way it seems clear she wasnt winning the 2006 U.S Open had she played, and most likely would lose in the semis to whichever of Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova, she played first as usual around then. Those 3 just all had her # and were above her at that time. Beating 1 of them would already be something she didnt do in about a dozen tries around then, never mind both.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #758
country flag JamieOwen3

yeah but b4 she got injured she did win stanford i think, i remember her defeating vaidisova in the semi's of both stanford and the acura classic if im not mistaken i believe Maria is the one who broke her streak she had on the US Open series hard courts that year. it was tough luck for her not to be able to even try and defend her first slam win though, the next time she did play she won it

Last edited by JamieOwen3 : Dec 12th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #759
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a long time since a new player has passed the 5 Slams mark.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #760
country flag hkyen

hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all hkyen is a name known to all

hkyen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #761
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloti View Post
Its been a long time since a new player has passed the 5 Slams mark.
We sure gonna see one slam wonders a lot in the future.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #762
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldnt say most of the year, but my memory might be off. She injured herself in the 3rd set of the AO semi with Mauresmo but didnt miss much time after. Then injured herself during the Canadian Open match with a young Canadian, and missed the U.S Open but was back for the fall events.

I do remember she lost something like 11 times in a row to Clijsters, Mauresmo, and Sharpova from fall 2005-winter 2007. She obviously wasnt injured most of the time to be playing enough to cop up all those losses.

I am not interested in re-starting a long debate like I had another thread if this was prime Kim or Kim in a slump or whatever you like, but either way it seems clear she wasnt winning the 2006 U.S Open had she played, and most likely would lose in the semis to whichever of Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova, she played first as usual around then. Those 3 just all had her # and were above her at that time. Beating 1 of them would already be something she didnt do in about a dozen tries around then, never mind both.
Yes you are right. In her blogs though the thing I always remember is her looking forward to her wedding next year and looking forward to seeing Brian all the bloody time. When she lost - I remember her saying good news and bad news: Bad new I lost but good news I'll see Brian early. And she insisted she didn't need a coach. Funny thing is she hardly lost any match at all to any other player that year (2006) but she couldn't beat those top 3 once.

You can't know for sure she wouldn't have won the USO. She was playing her best all year when she got injured in Canada and the USO is the tournament that brings the very best out of her. But we'll never know and she got injured, never beat the big three that year and all we can do is go by facts.

Up till 2006 - I always thought the difference between Kim and Justine was much closer than people made out. The big difference of course was Kim kept losing to Justine in slam finals. Everywhere else - their H2H, the YEC, tournamentts won - they were evenly matched. And she was closing in on Justine at slam finals and at the AO 2004 it was much closer then - and also could have done without that bad decision - but Kim then had her wrist injury for a year. 2005 - Kim dominated the hard courts in the USA

I think 2006 - 2007 was where Justine really went into another gear and pulled well away from Kim and overtook Venus in the greatness list.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #763
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Top player is a loose term. Great champions are usually top 10 players atleast even when not near their best. One could turn around and say Henin was a top player during over half of Venus's peak period of 1999-2003 too (2001, 2002, and 2003) and post Venus's superior stats over that combined period too. Their peaks never really coincided as Venus was leaving hers just as Justine's was starting. So imagining who would have been better at their mutual peaks is really a guessing game other than knowing Justine would own Venus on clay and Venus likewise to Justine on grass.
Justine, being about 3 years younger than Venus was nowhere near her best between 1999-2002. Between 2003-2007 Venus was still young enough to be in her prime so should performed more consistantly than she did. Both are great players, but overall, I think Justine has the better record and deserves to be rated slightly higher than Venus. As far as I recall, the only advantage Maria has over Kim is that she won 3 of the 4 Slams, while Kim has just one of the Slams. Maria showed glimpses of her best at the FO, Cincinatti and USO. If she can get back to her near best more consistantly, she could have a very good season next year and win more Slams before she retires. As for Justine, until her elbow fully heals, she will not be able to win Slams or much of anything else. I wish her good luck, she is going to need it.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #764
Miss Amor
Legendary

Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Justine, being about 3 years younger than Venus .
Venus Williams DOB : June 17, 1980
Justine Henin DOB : June 01, 1982

Miss Amor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #765
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetard View Post
Venus Williams DOB : June 17
We share the same B-day date!
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote