The 20 Greatest *Active Singles* Players on the WTA Tour - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #16
country flag sartrista7
Registered 1

sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future
Not just a Slamless No 1, but a Slamless No 1 who wasn't even dominating ŕ la Hingis in 00, or even semi-dominating like Clijsters. Mauresmo actually got to No 1 off the back of a season characterised less by stellar performances than by the way she found new and inventive ways to choke in every Slam Ever since the WTA started tinkering with the rankings on a regular basis I've put less stock in them - I still think they're an important factor in assessing careers, but not as important as Slam wins.

I'd argue that Myskina's 6 Tier II and higher titles, compared to Sharapova's 4, as well as her Fed Cup victory, outweigh the celebrity factor If we're going to bring non-tennis accomplishments into it then there is Myskina's historic role to consider (first Russian in top 5/top 3/No 2; first Russian Slam winner, etc).
sartrista7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #17
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Oops. Sorry Kuzzie fans
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Tennis Fool is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #18
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartrista7
Not just a Slamless No 1, but a Slamless No 1 who wasn't even dominating ŕ la Hingis in 00, or even semi-dominating like Clijsters. Mauresmo actually got to No 1 off the back of a season characterised less by stellar performances than by the way she found new and inventive ways to choke in every Slam Ever since the WTA started tinkering with the rankings on a regular basis I've put less stock in them - I still think they're an important factor in assessing careers, but not as important as Slam wins.
Yes, but she'll be in the Hall of Fame on the strength of that #1 ranking.

Quote:
I'd argue that Myskina's 6 Tier II and higher titles, compared to Sharapova's 4, as well as her Fed Cup victory, outweigh the celebrity factor If we're going to bring non-tennis accomplishments into it then there is Myskina's historic role to consider (first Russian in top 5/top 3/No 2; first Russian Slam winner, etc).
Well, it really is all a tie. Myskina needs to be her act together. Even one more title would push her up the list.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #19
Tennis Fool

Edited to add doubles victory for Paola and Conchita at Charleston.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #20
country flag selesbooz

selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of selesbooz has much to be proud of
[quote=sartrista7]Nice list, though I would dispute the order of 10-13 - I don't see why Sharapova's accomplishments so far place her over Myskina. She looks like she'll have the better career and has consolidated her Slam win better, but as of right now I'd say Myskina is more accomplished - note the levels of most of Sharapova's tournament wins compared to Myskina's.

Sorry but currently they both have nine titles and i would have to say that Maria's are better then her's. Maria has also only lost two finals and will be #! soon. include the age and Myskina sucks.

And there is no way that Kim should be above any Slam winners, especially with that game.
selesbooz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #21
country flag C.MARTINEZ

C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Edited to add doubles victory for Paola and Conchita at Charleston.
paola??

Garbińe Muguruza - María Teresa Torró Flor - María Sharapova - Marion Bartoli - Petra Kvitova
C.MARTINEZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #22
country flag joaco

joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold joaco is a splendid one to behold
I would put Paola Suarez right after Kuznetsova DEFINETELY
joaco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #23
Tennis Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaco
I would put Paola Suarez right after Kuznetsova DEFINETELY
Only if this was a Greatest Active Doubles Players...
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #24
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Top 20 Active Players

And the Most Accomplished is

1. Monica Seles
9 Slams, 1 Olympic Bronze Medal, 44 other singles, 6 doubles, 178 weeks at No. 1 (5th all-time). Year-Ending No. 1 player: 1991, 1992.

Quote:
9. Kim Clijsters
4 GS Finals, 2 GS Doubles, 23 Singles, 11 Doubles, high rank #1 for 12 weeks

10. Maria Sharapova
1 Slam, 8 other singles, 3 Doubles, HR No. 2
There's no way Maria is less accomplished than a player who has never won a Grand Slam women's singles title!

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sizzlingsharapova/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #25
country flag LUIS9

LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future
Doesnt Serena have 7 doubles titles (slams) ? I thought one of her fans maybe Renaslam has on his/her signature that she has 7 doubles slams? The one obvious mistake I do know for a fact is that Davenport does not have another 46 titles after her 3 slams, all in all shes got 47 titles including her 3 slams, I do believe she's won a couple of ITF titles but those dont count as wta wins. I mean obviously she will probably end with more than 50 titles when she decides to call it quits after such an awesome career but not just yet.
LUIS9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #26
country flag 416_Man

416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute
The list is based on most accomplished active players, so it must be for both singles and doubles. Paola at #20, I find is a bit of a joke, she has more GS titles than half the people on the list (doubles or not it's still a slam). I would put her atleast at 15, and that's still a little unfair.
416_Man is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #27
clonesheep

clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future
You forgot Daniela Hantuchova: 2 (or 3?) slam QF, 1 Tier I title, among other things. Also ranked as high as No. 4. With that she should rank above Maleeva.
clonesheep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #28
country flag hewittrok

hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice hewittrok is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Dementieva
pretty soon LenaD will win a slam
and its going to be Wimbledom
hewittrok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #29
country flag ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute
as much as i like dani.. i don't think she should rank above maleeva, because she doesn't have as many titles as her
ceiling_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #30
country flag ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute
oh actually, i'm not so sure.... maleeva ONLY had 1 slam QF.... so its a close one
ceiling_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote