The 20 Greatest *Active Singles* Players on the WTA Tour - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #151
country flag Mark Spruce
I think I am falling in love !!

Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute
GO MARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Where Is Love I Have Not Found Her Yet

Mark Spruce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #152
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute
I love Venus and think the world of her and the fact that she reached four straight finals is HISTORIC, but I think Lindsay is more accomplished. Lindsay should be #3 outright. She spent more time @ #1 than any other active player not named Martina Hingis. She was also Y.E. #1 more times than ANY other active player. That speaks VOLUMES more than just one more slam title...even 2 more slam titles. Top 5 should be: Serena, Martina, Lindsay, Venus, and then Justine...but good list though! SERENA'S #1! And to whomever said that Martina and Serena's careers might be compared if Serena doesn't get her act together....I think you're right and wrong. Yeah Martina has accomplished a LOT..but she's played so much more tennis than Serena. Martina's played more than two times as many matches as Serena, and Serena's career is STILL HEAD AND SHOULDERS BETTER. But yeah, for Serena to solidify herself as the best player of this first decade, she has a lot of work to do. She needs to win at least 20 more titles, spend about 6 more months @ #1, and bag about 5 more slams. She's safe at that position now, but with those accomplishments, she's looking @ top 5 of the OPEN ERA!

EIGHTEEN GRAND SLAMS
LaReina Jameka Williams
MrSerenaWilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #153
country flag Come-on-kim

Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute
I'd rank Kim ahead of Mary because Kim's been to number 1 and won more title than Mary.

"When you do your best, it's always good enough" - Kim Clijsters

"No matter what happens, you have to try to stay positive, bad things can happen, but if you try to stay positive, something positive will come out of it…I believe that everything happens for a reason" - Kim Clijsters

"Goed is de ergste vijand van zeer goed" - Pascal Smet

"Als je iemand idealiseert, verlies je het contact met de werkelijkheid"

"Ca s’apprend par la souffrance, ça s’apprend par les déceptions, ça s’apprend par la densité du mal que ça te fait, plus ça te fait mal et plus ça te fait grandir. Y a des moments où tu te dis je ne vais pas le supporter, ça, ça fait trop mal, et pourtant tu passes au travers."
Come-on-kim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #154
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
Lindsay should be ahead of Justine; 1 major isn't a big difference, and Lindsay has done better in the majors overall (i.e. more finals). Lindsay also has a lot more titles and has been ranked #1 at year's end more times.

And shouldn't Kim be above Mary? I know Mary has 2 majors, but Kim has more titles overall and has been ranked #1. Kim also has 2 YEC titles to Mary's 0.

Amelie should definitely be above Myskina and Kuznetsova; I can't believe people are suggesting otherwise. Amelie has a major (odd circumstances or not), has been #1, has more Tier 1 titles, and has won a YEC.
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #155
country flag borisy

borisy has disabled reputation
Grand Slams are much more important than anything. Everyone will mention the slam you won when you reture, not the small tournaments that you won.
borisy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #156
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisy
Grand Slams are much more important than anything. Everyone will mention the slam you won when you reture, not the small tournaments that you won.
Correct. They are the measure of success in tennis, but when people are close (i.e. 1 major separating them), you then look to rankings, YEC and Tier 1 titles, etc. I don't think someone who has won 2 majors is automatically ahead of someone with 1 major, but someone with 5 majors is definitely ahead of someone with 1 major.
Had to be strong
so I believed
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #157
country flag j@zmin

j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrserenawilliams
I love Venus and think the world of her and the fact that she reached four straight finals is HISTORIC, but I think Lindsay is more accomplished. Lindsay should be #3 outright. She spent more time @ #1 than any other active player not named Martina Hingis. She was also Y.E. #1 more times than ANY other active player. That speaks VOLUMES more than just one more slam title...even 2 more slam titles. Top 5 should be: Serena, Martina, Lindsay, Venus, and then Justine...but good list though! SERENA'S #1! And to whomever said that Martina and Serena's careers might be compared if Serena doesn't get her act together....I think you're right and wrong. Yeah Martina has accomplished a LOT..but she's played so much more tennis than Serena. Martina's played more than two times as many matches as Serena, and Serena's career is STILL HEAD AND SHOULDERS BETTER. But yeah, for Serena to solidify herself as the best player of this first decade, she has a lot of work to do. She needs to win at least 20 more titles, spend about 6 more months @ #1, and bag about 5 more slams. She's safe at that position now, but with those accomplishments, she's looking @ top 5 of the OPEN ERA!
I agree about Lindsay, she deserves to be number 3. I am not so sure about Martina and Serena, maybe they can share the number one spot. It´s not easy to say who has done more.

Anyway, I am not agree about that Serena should be first based on the fact that she played less tennis than Martina. This thread it´s about what they have done, not how many tournaments they have played. Besides, you should remember that Martina were 22 when she retired with all those singles and doubles titles and with those 209 weeks like number ones in the world.
j@zmin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #158
jenglisbe

Serena has won more majors than anyone, and she held all 4 at one time. No other active player has won all 4 majors, much less held them all at once. When you add in that she has a winning record against every other active player on the list (does she?), it's clear to me that she is #1.

I'd rank Venus over Lindsay because Venus has more majors and has done better on clay. Lindsay has been more consistent in terms of ranking, but Venus has a decent number of titles overall and has made the finals of all 4 majors. I think she's made more finals in general than Lindsay as well.

1. Serena
2. Martina
3. Venus
4. Lindsay
5. Justine
6. Kim
7. Mary
8. Amelie
9. Maria
10. Anastasia or Svetlana
Had to be strong
so I believed
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #159
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute
Venus is an underachiever.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #160
clonesheep

clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future
If Capriati is still considered "active", which I think she is, she should be ranked No. 6.
clonesheep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #161
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonesheep
If Capriati is still considered "active", which I think she is, she should be ranked No. 6.
Capriati hasn't been active for a long, long time (2004?) If she returns, she'll be placed back on the list, as was Martina.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #162
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Well, with this Slam Justine is in a virtual tie with Venus. Who do you believe is the more accomplished player?
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #163
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Some interesting posts. I don't take grand slams as the be all and end all. And it is interesting to read the Justine vs Lindsay comparisons where one player has played a long time and achieved an impressive record and the other player has packed a lot in a shorter time period and has had periods of dominance during that time.

Between 2002- Wimby 2003 the Williams were completely dominant. Then the Belgians were so dominant that if Kim and Justine were both playing you might just as well forget the tournament and just play the finals - with Justine winning if it was a slam. If only one of them was playing - why bother with the tournament they were so dominant. Linds was #1 for a long time but I don't think ever dominated to the same extent that you could just select her as the winner every time. But her CV of wins year after year with her 3 slams is still soooo impressive.

So I look at GS titles, total wins, whether the CV is packed thin or thick spread over the number of years they've been playing - Mary loses out here because it is thin. Kim's is thick with her number of wins packed into each season she's played. I'd also look at whether the player has been dominant, and whether the player was ever considered the best player regardless of wht the official rankings say. Again Mary with her 2 GS titles loses out here.

My list would therefore start:

1 Serena; 2 Martina.

But I can't at the moment separate Venus, Justine, and Lindsay. If forced to at gunpoint I would say after this RG 2006 title - Justine then Venus then Linds - but I really don't want to separate them.

Kim would definitely be on her own next - a clearcut #6. And then a gap.

After that it gets difficult with players like Momo, Conchita, Masha and Mary:
I think I have to say Momo at #7 and maybe Masha at #8. The trouble I have with Mary and Conchita is regardless of the quirks of the rankings - no way could you even make a case that they were ever in their career anywhere near deserving of the best player in the world and the #1 ranking.
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #164
country flag LUIS9

LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future LUIS9 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator
Lindsay has more tier Is than any other active player
When was this posted? If this year, sorry Hingis has 16. It was 15-11 in favor of Hingis over Davenport. She's won all 9. Davenport has won only indian wells, Zurich, Tokyo among the different tier 1 titles. However, if you exclude Hingis Davenport does lead with 11 tied with two other players one of them being Sabatini.

The thing to admire is Davenport's longevity despite some serious injuries.
LUIS9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #165
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUIS9
When was this posted? If this year, sorry Hingis has 16. It was 15-11 in favor of Hingis over Davenport. She's won all 9. Davenport has won only indian wells, Zurich, Tokyo among the different tier 1 titles. However, if you exclude Hingis Davenport does lead with 11 tied with two other players one of them being Sabatini.

The thing to admire is Davenport's longevity despite some serious injuries.
Sorry, I forgot about Marti

Also, Lindsay's tier Is also include a San Diego title