Should major finals be 55 minutes long? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should major finals be able to be so brief?

no 27 34.18%
yes 24 30.38%
not sure 2 2.53%
don't care 26 32.91%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #1
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute
Should major finals be 55 minutes long?

Given the immense hype surrounding the majors today, is it right for them to be potentially so short?

Personally, I think 5 set matches on the men's side are much too long, especially if it's not a final (and even then). But, a 6-3 6-0 final for such a hyped thing seems too little as well.

I am not the only one who came up with a new scoring system that would make tennis matches 3 sets long (something that could be used for semis and finals), but such a non-traditional system would obviously meet a lot of resistance.

3 sets, though, seems reasonable for such an important event. 2 sets is too little and 5 sets is far too much, especially on hard courts.
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #2
country flag GameSetMatch_Li

GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light GameSetMatch_Li is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Should major finals be 55 minutes long?

There's no limit as to how long finals SHOULD be. To the finalists, they should just go all out. However, sometimes even both sides go all out their base difference causes one to win easily.
On the other hand both finalists can go servebotting and make boring "7-6(5) 6-7(5) 99999-99997" finals.

To the audience, sometimes they don't want players to go all out since they want a closely-contested-but-don't-cost-me-like-3-hours finals.
GameSetMatch_Li is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #3
country flag jalusbrian

jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold

why?: is it too long?
jalusbrian is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #4
country flag jalusbrian

jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSetMatch_Li View Post
There's no limit as to how long finals SHOULD be. To the finalists, they should just go all out. However, sometimes even both sides go all out their base difference causes one to win easily.
On the other hand both finalists can go servebotting and make boring "7-6(5) 6-7(5) 99999-99997" finals.

To the audience, sometimes they don't want players to go all out since they want a closely-contested-but-don't-cost-me-like-3-hours finals.
this tennis watcher likes to see his faves win easily and not have to contest close 3 setters that may go either way
jalusbrian is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #5
country flag Mario101

Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition View Post
Given the immense hype surrounding the majors today, is it right for them to be potentially so short?

Personally, I think 5 set matches on the men's side are much too long, especially if it's not a final (and even then). But, a 6-3 6-0 final for such a hyped thing seems too little as well.

I am not the only one who came up with a new scoring system that would make tennis matches 3 sets long (something that could be used for semis and finals), but such a non-traditional system would obviously meet a lot of resistance.

3 sets, though, seems reasonable for such an important event. 2 sets is too little and 5 sets is far too much, especially on hard courts.
Two sets first to 9
Mario101 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #6
country flag JeMa

JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of

It was fortunate that it was over as fast as it was. I really couldn't take much more of it. Petra looked bored as hell and Genie was embarassing herself. It needed to end.

Don't they in little league games where one team is so ahead - just call the whole thing off. If there were more sets to play I would just want them to call it off.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #7
country flag Shonami Slam

Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute
Basketball lasts an hour including breaks.
Soccer (or foot-dull) is 120 with a break.

Tennis is unique.
Fed won hour long matches in three serts and was regarded as a masterclass shiwing, so why is this any different?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
if you have nothing important to say, please do so in non-tennis forum. if you have something you think is important, but is actually rubbish regarding anything other than tennis - please do so in the non-tennis forum. if you have something tennis related to say, but it's actually "OMG, X player is so h0t!1" or "who has the biggest boobs on the wtatour" please do so in menstennisforum, under "wta forum". if you have something important, tennis-related and interesting to say please do so. No one in the world can understand how much tennis means to someone, except another fan.
Shonami Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #8
country flag Nazanin

Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold

Well when it's such a demolition job like this year's final, do you really want to see more? That'd be just cruel.
Nazanin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #9

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
why?: is it too long?
5 set matches are too long. 2 set matches are too short. 3 set matches (for semis and finals) are just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario101 View Post
Two sets first to 9
How would you decide a split? A tiebreak?
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #10
country flag JeMa

JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of

There was a long doubles match so the attendees got their money's worth
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #11
country flag Queen V.

Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute Queen V. has a reputation beyond repute

If it involves Bouchard losing, who cares
Azarenka Ivanovic Sharapova Safina Pierce Kournikova Vaidišova Kirilenko Capriati Zvonareva Davenport Hingis Dementieva Venus Jankovic Bencic Chakvetadze Kvitova Schnyder Kuznetsova Myskina Wozniacki Henin Giorgi Svitolina Townsend Schmiedlova Petkovic Zhang Duan

Bitch just check her fucking blood pressure

AO 95 97 98 99 00 01 02 04 08 12 13 FO 00 01 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 12 14 WC 97 99 00 01 04 05 07 08 11 14 US 97 98 00 01 03 04 06 07
Queen V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario101 View Post
Two sets first to 9
Extending the length of the two sets and concluding with a long tiebreak (like first to 12) in the case of a split does sound like a potential solution. It avoids having to use a second scoring system.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #13
country flag Svetlana)))

Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the loser. If it's Sharapova, Bouchard getting lashed then YAS
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #14
country flag Dodge

Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all Dodge is a name known to all

They should be as long as it takes.
Dodge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #15
country flag JeMa

Only at wimby is there danger of being such short finals because the points don't have long rallies. So you are proposing the slam that won't even put in a damn light for night tennis to change this? Really, I know we are reaching for things to talk about before the next tournament.