Venus and her forehand... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #1
country flag faste5683

faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future
Venus and her forehand...

During the last two or three tournaments Vee has played in, I've been scrutinizing her forehand, trying to figure out what the problem is, and whether it's physical or mental (lack of confidence) in nature. What I've come up with is that her "unit" turn (the simple turning of the body) is fine, but when she begins to take her raquet back there is a delay in the process, a hitch, where the raquet actually begins to move foreward again before resuming the swing process. In other words the raquet (and arm and hand) swing back, stop, edges forward a bit, then begins to go back again. This is a complicated swing motion and would certainly cause a certain amount of inconsistency since Vee has to "find" the ball twice.

Check out your tapes or Tivo in slow motion and see what you think. Any of you agree with this assessment? Should I be a highly paid pro coach, or sent back to drying the courts during rain delays?

faste5683 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
faste,
You're absolutely right. I've been saying the same thing for years. Other than the "hitch" that Venus has in the motion, she also raises her head up when she hits it. This takes away from her power and forward motion.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #3
country flag villa

villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all
So what happens when she's on the run? She seems to have no problems hitting her forehand when she's playing denfensive....Yesterday most of the forehands she missed where no pace-middle court balls....
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #4
country flag faste5683

faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future faste5683 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by villa
So what happens when she's on the run? She seems to have no problems hitting her forehand when she's playing denfensive....Yesterday most of the forehands she missed where no pace-middle court balls....
Exactly! When she's on the run, stretching, there isn't a whole lot of time for raquet prep - you're are running and then swinging - there isn't any take back motion to speak of...

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #5
country flag villa

villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all villa is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by faste5683
Exactly! When she's on the run, stretching, there isn't a whole lot of time for raquet prep - you're are running and then swinging - there isn't any take back motion to speak of...

Sorted! All she needs to do then is to run or stetch to every ball! Maybe she should move away from balls landing close to her than run back to them
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #6
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
absolutely right.

Venus' forehand is depressing right now. hopefully she hits the practice court and stays there today
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:06 AM   #7
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
I saw Vee practiving her FH before the Chanda match and it looked awful...no accelaration...she was even getting frustrated, bending over in disgust everytime she missed one...which was ALOT...

she practiced again today and did tons of FH's...some one were amazing others looked worse than mine...I just hope she has an ON day against Davey because we all know Davey will be going after the FH

SERENA. MUGU. VIKA. PETKO. CARO. TIMEA. SVETA. HEATHER. KAIA. TAMIRA. FLAVIA. GEORGI. COCO. LUCIE, SLOANE. PENG. SORANA. ALICIA. JAEDA. CICI. FRANCOISE.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. SHENAY. DINARA. GISELA. SPREM.
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:14 AM   #8
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
She also doesn't seem to move her feet a lot when she hits the shots, and as Tracy mentions, she pulls up too often.

Venus really drives the ball with that forehand when she keeps on balanced with it, where she's moving her feet and keeping her head and body in line with the ball.

She just gets lazy out there sometimes.

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #9
country flag thelittlestelf

thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute
Venus also doesn't always have her eye on the ball and doesn't freeze her head during the swing---this can be extremely helpful ESPECIALLY on service returns.

LINDSAYDAVENPORT MARTINAHINGIS SERENAWILLIAMS MONICASELES CHANDARUBIN DANIELAHANTUCHOVA JENNIFERCAPRIATI MARYPIERCE JELENADOKIC KIMCLIJSTERS ANNAKOURNIKOVA JILLCRAYBAS
thelittlestelf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:26 AM   #10
country flag faste5683

Quote:
Sorted! All she needs to do then is to run or stetch to every ball! Maybe she should move away from balls landing close to her than run back to them
Correcting the hitch in her swing would be easier.

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #11
cool bird

cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road
great post. Venus forehand always does look a little odd when she plays it.
I just wonderder when she has a wastern grip did she still have the same problem
cool bird is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:20 AM   #12
country flag sartrista7
Registered 1

sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future
BUMP

There are still people out there who believe that there is nothing fundamentally flawed in Venus's game. This is an excellent analysis of what's wrong with her forehand.
sartrista7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #13
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Correcting the hitch in her swing would be easier.

So would learning how to hit it with a closed stance.....

Don't tell anyone I said this, but John McEnroe was right when he said that Venus uses too much upper body and not enough lower body on her forehand and serve. The strongest muscles in the body are below the waist, not above.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #14
gweeny

gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice
Quote:
During the last two or three tournaments Vee has played in, I've been scrutinizing her forehand, trying to figure out what the problem is, and whether it's physical or mental (lack of confidence) in nature. What I've come up with is that her "unit" turn (the simple turning of the body) is fine, but when she begins to take her raquet back there is a delay in the process, a hitch, where the raquet actually begins to move foreward again before resuming the swing process. In other words the raquet (and arm and hand) swing back, stop, edges forward a bit, then begins to go back again. This is a complicated swing motion and would certainly cause a certain amount of inconsistency since Vee has to "find" the ball twice.

Check out your tapes or Tivo in slow motion and see what you think. Any of you agree with this assessment? Should I be a highly paid pro coach, or sent back to drying the courts during rain delays?

I wish Venus will hire you. .

Venus
Serena
Guga

gweeny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #15
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartrista7
BUMP

There are still people out there who believe that there is nothing fundamentally flawed in Venus's game. This is an excellent analysis of what's wrong with her forehand.
Not only that, but everyone knows it now. Venus will be seeing even more forehands in the future, and if she doesn't fix it, she'll not see any big trophies or big checks any time soon.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote