Should They Have Some Black Announcers? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #1
country flag mr dude
Banned

mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road mr dude is on a distinguished road
Should They Have Some Black Announcers?

shouldn't the Wta get some black announcers, or some younger ppl that actually know what's going on out there?

I think the announcers now are too corny and old.
mr dude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:07 AM   #2
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
damn, are you saying Malivai isn't black?

hmm, on 2nd thought.....

No just j/k, I think Malivai is totally

speaking of I found this website for a charity of his....Malivai...

http://www.malwashington.com/
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:10 AM   #3
country flag cheesestix

cheesestix has disabled reputation
Yeah, what about Mal Washington?

Last time I remember seeing him was at the AO 2003, I believe.

But I thought he was pretty good.

Last edited by cheesestix : Sep 5th, 2004 at 05:18 AM.
cheesestix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:10 AM   #4
moon

moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute
they tried out Zina Garrison a couple of years ago. she wasn't so hot.
But Chanda (once she retires) should definitely give it a go. She was great!
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #5
country flag Jarrett
Don't mess with Texas!

Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of
Why just black commentators?

But anyway, I don't want new commentators. I actually like the current ones we have. As for "younger" ones. Uh, no. Jim C. is younger and I can't STAND him. Maybe some younger women though. I loved listening to Martina Hingis @ Wimby. She had some great stories to tell.

P.S. I can't stand Mal either. Well maybe it isn't his fault. I just hate how they focus on him when he is reporting on a match. They usualy show a head shot and he just talks for a while about crap. I mean come on. Show the people actually playing. Not the commentators talking about them.
"Gee, Quinn... I hope that little foray of yours into Geekland just now is the result of heat exhaustion, and not an unpleasant side effect of all that tutoring. I mean, you're not turning into a brain, are you?" -- Sandi

Jarrett is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:14 AM   #6
country flag Black Mamba.

Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute
Mal is good, he is one of the few commentators who actually comments on the match without hating on players.
Black Mamba. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #7
country flag Jarrett
Don't mess with Texas!

Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of
What do you meaning by "hating?" Examples please.
"Gee, Quinn... I hope that little foray of yours into Geekland just now is the result of heat exhaustion, and not an unpleasant side effect of all that tutoring. I mean, you're not turning into a brain, are you?" -- Sandi

Jarrett is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #8
country flag Shenay La Soul

Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold Shenay La Soul is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
What do you meaning by "hating?" Examples please.
When commentators are "hating" is when they subtly or not so subtly have something against particular players and do a piss poor job of hiding this dislike. For example McEnroe has a strained relationship with the Williams sisters and he doesn't always successfully mask his ill feelings towards them. In a match Serena could be playing exceptionally well but McEnroe will downplay it in favor of her opponent and make up some excuses for Serena's lead in the match.
Shenay La Soul is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:12 AM   #9
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
I fairly certain that if Serena wants that gig, she'll get a shot at it. I have a feeling we won't see much of Venus on camera when her career is over. Unless she's designing other player's clothes or something. She just never quite looks like she ENJOYS being on camera. She looks like she's putting up with it with good grace, and doesn't hold it against anyone personally. Not exactly the same as enthusiasm.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #10
country flag FaceyFacem

FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future
zina used to, not sure why not anymore, but i remember hearing her back in the day
NEVER say "I don't care who wins, I just want good tennis"
FaceyFacem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #11
Wenddy

Wenddy has disabled reputation
Zina is no good. She sucks up. and her voice is very very anoying. I like Corina and Katrina. they are so much better in terms of talking about the game and not the players.
Wenddy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #12
country flag Doraemon

Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts
I think they should put SerenaSlam on the job. He would jump all over.
Doraemon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #13
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute
I remember Chanda Rubin doing some guest commentating, and she did a pretty good job.

Jeff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #14
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon
they tried out Zina Garrison a couple of years ago. she wasn't so hot.
But Chanda (once she retires) should definitely give it a go. She was great!
I've never heard Rubin commentate, so it'd be interesting to see what she has to say. Speaking of other black players who now commentate, I find the trio of Mal Washington, Zina Garrison, and Lori McNeil quite awful. Ok, not as bad as Chris Evert or Barry Mackay, but quite bad indeed! Lori and Zina are especially bad in that neither of them shows any spontaneity. Zina always sounded like she was reading off a teleprompter.

Anyone know what Katrina Adams is like?
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #15
country flag WTA_freak

WTA_freak has disabled reputation
I wonder if it's American thing, because I have not seen classic "hate" in Eurosport. Yes, they could be little bit biased, like in case of Daniela vs. Patty recently, but no no hate...
WTA_freak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote