Pauline Betz- The Interview - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Bump up---Ms. Addie was as down to earth as they come and a treat to talk to when Alfajeffster and I visited her, readhis piece on this tennis treasure in the first post
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #32
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
I noticed something in that interview, Steffi Graf. She says she is faster than her? When mentioning the all time greats, she seems to have to swallow her pride a bit concerning Steffi Graf. In hearing her interview, she seems to be like Justine Henin-Hardenne. Both 5'5 with long arms and great foot speed. I'm kind of surpsrised she never mentioned in comparison to her game. Hitting an overhead is tough when you have long arms. Chris Evert and her two-hander would exploit that with lobs and shots to her forehand. Ken Rosewall is who I think of concerning Pauline.
trivfun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I noticed something in that interview, Steffi Graf. She says she is faster than her? When mentioning the all time greats, she seems to have to swallow her pride a bit concerning Steffi Graf. In hearing her interview, she seems to be like Justine Henin-Hardenne. Both 5'5 with long arms and great foot speed. I'm kind of surpsrised she never mentioned in comparison to her game. Hitting an overhead is tough when you have long arms. Chris Evert and her two-hander would exploit that with lobs and shots to her forehand. Ken Rosewall is who I think of concerning Pauline.
When Alfa and I interviewed her it was the day before the 2004 Olympics-and I think she did have nice things to say about Henin.

She was so modest about most aspects of her career that when she said she was faster than Steffi I believed her

I have a question for you though: where did you get her height as 5' 5"? My impression was that Pauline was taller than that-if pictures are a guide pictures the shortie of the 40s generation was Margaret Dupont. There's a pic of her next to Jeff in the interview; when he tells you how tall he is we'll have a better gauge on Bobbie's height.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #34
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
When Alfa and I interviewed her it was the day before the 2004 Olympics-and I think she did have nice things to say about Henin.

She was so modest about most aspects of her career that when she said she was faster than Steffi I believed her

I have a question for you though: where did you get her height as 5' 5"? My impression was that Pauline was taller than that-if pictures are a guide pictures the shortie of the 40s generation was Margaret Dupont. There's a pic of her next to Jeff in the interview; when he tells you how tall he is we'll have a better gauge on Bobbie's height.

I read it in a article but that picture when she was in her late 80's tells me she may have been 5'7 or 5'8 or 5'9. I think it was the Time magazine article that said she was 5'5. My take on foot speed is this how do judge who is faster when she played it was touch game and when Graf played it became a return and service game? Graf was a Valerie Brisco-Hooks on that court.

Last edited by trivfun : Jun 19th, 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #35
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun
I read it in a article but that picture when she was in her late 80's tells me she may have been 5'7 or 5'8 or 5'9. I think it was the Time magazine article that said she was 5'5. My take on foot speed is this how do judge who is faster when she played it was touch game and when Graf played it became a return and service game? Graf was a Valerie Brisco-Hooks on that court.
I'm 5'10-1/2" (and I'm noticing the half keeps shrinking every year). I'd say that in her 80s, Pauline was about 5'7", and was obviously a little bit taller back in her tennis heyday. I do believe she very well may have been as fast, or even quicker about the baseline than Steffi Graf, if you can imagine. Unlike Graf, Pauline Betz had arguably the best topspin backhand of any woman ever. She said she learned it from watching Don Budge, and once she had it down, it was a natural shot for her, and a certified weapon. She had a reputation (not lost on the duPont set) for being able to run down any ball, no matter how difficult, and frequently even dove for balls that she couldn't quite reach. She'd be the first one to tell you she didn't like to volley, or go to the net at all, preferring to drive that beautiful backhand from the baseline. Listening to her talk about other players, and the game itself, I never got the feeling she harbored any bitterness or tried to play down others' accomplishments. She was honest and forthright in her assessments. She liked Steffi Graf quite a bit, but the player she really liked best was Chris Evert (and she hit with her a few times in the 70s). How do I say this without sounding too sickly-sweet? Bobbie was one of the guys.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #36
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I'm 5'10-1/2" (and I'm noticing the half keeps shrinking every year). I'd say that in her 80s, Pauline was about 5'7", and was obviously a little bit taller back in her tennis heyday. I do believe she very well may have been as fast, or even quicker about the baseline than Steffi Graf, if you can imagine. Unlike Graf, Pauline Betz had arguably the best topspin backhand of any woman ever. She said she learned it from watching Don Budge, and once she had it down, it was a natural shot for her, and a certified weapon. She had a reputation (not lost on the duPont set) for being able to run down any ball, no matter how difficult, and frequently even dove for balls that she couldn't quite reach. She'd be the first one to tell you she didn't like to volley, or go to the net at all, preferring to drive that beautiful backhand from the baseline. Listening to her talk about other players, and the game itself, I never got the feeling she harbored any bitterness or tried to play down others' accomplishments. She was honest and forthright in her assessments. She liked Steffi Graf quite a bit, but the player she really liked best was Chris Evert (and she hit with her a few times in the 70s). How do I say this without sounding too sickly-sweet? Bobbie was one of the guys.

I remember a book said that Margaret Court was 5'8" but she is 5''11. I was curious about what she said about Margaret and Monica Seles.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #37

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun
I remember a book said that Margaret Court was 5'8" but she is 5''11. I was curious about what she said about Margaret and Monica Seles.
Nothing that I recall (Rollo, refresh my memory if need be). Then again, I didn't ask her about Monica Seles or Margaret (believe it or not). It's one of the worst things about doing interviews- the regrets for not having asked more. All regrets considered, it's a wonderful memory to have- one I won't soon forget. Both Rollo and RoanHJ had the chance to interview Louise Brough by telephone, and I think RoanHJ actually visited once (WHERE IS ROANHJ?) and maybe we can get one or both of them to share the experience. It's been a year since I've spoken with Roan, who was at the time working on a book about the life of Alice Marble, and the interviews with Brough and Betz proved very informative for her. I'm not sure what happened to her, as I haven't heard from her in that long...
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #38
country flag trivfun

Is Pauline related to the late Carl Betz of the Donna Reed show?

I can see that she saw that Mr. DuPont was trying to buy her to put a notch on his belt. I know she didn't like controlling people but I think she had a little fear about "Teach". I mean Bobby Riggs, Jack Kramer, and Spencer Tracy had that nature but she "handled" them well.

I remember in the interview she said that Margaret Osbourne and Louise Brough were aloof and the she chose Dodo Bundy instead of those two as a doubles partner which she regretted. I was wondering if she knew something or feared something.

Last edited by trivfun : Jul 9th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #39
country flag trivfun

Re: Pauline Betz- The Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Here it is kids. I enjoyed every minute of it, and again would like to thank Rollo very much for his help with this- Bobbie is a great lady, and I am honored to have been able to walk down memory lane with her:

http://www.middlestates.usta.com/new...091&itype=1388
I was curious, did you ever ask or did Pauline ever mention whether she preferred to play volleyers or other baseliners like her? I noticed that when she played that baseliners really disappeared until the 1970s. There were exceptions like Maureen Connolly, Angela Mortimer, and Suzy Kormoczy. It seemed Pauline was like Chris Evert who preferred volleyers than baseliners like herself.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
I was curious, did you ever ask or did Pauline ever mention whether she preferred to play volleyers or other baseliners like her? I noticed that when she played that baseliners really disappeared until the 1970s. There were exceptions like Maureen Connolly, Angela Mortimer, and Suzy Kormoczy. It seemed Pauline was like Chris Evert who preferred volleyers than baseliners like herself.
She admitted that Chris Evert was her favorite player, and that she very much admired her style, and that she actually had on several occasions hit with Chris from the 70s onward. I can't say for sure, but I would imagine it's a safe bet that Pauline liked to play net rushers, and that just like Chris after her, enjoyed being presented with a target. Unlike Chris, though, Pauline was famous for her one-handed backhand drive and amazing foot speed.

P.S.- you forgot Nancy Richey and Ann Jones, both of whom weren't slouches from the baseline.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #41
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
She admitted that Chris Evert was her favorite player, and that she very much admired her style, and that she actually had on several occasions hit with Chris from the 70s onward. I can't say for sure, but I would imagine it's a safe bet that Pauline liked to play net rushers, and that just like Chris after her, enjoyed being presented with a target. Unlike Chris, though, Pauline was famous for her one-handed backhand drive and amazing foot speed.

P.S.- you forgot Nancy Richey and Ann Jones, both of whom weren't slouches from the baseline.

Wow, I just had a weird thought about Ann Jones and Pauline Betz playing against each other. When one of the blogs about fantasy matchups. I thought about this one. Ann can play net and baseline. She would have had to play perfect to beat Pauline, I think. I also forgot to mention, Francoise Durr.

I read a 1976 newspaper article about her when she played a guy who was a pro as well as a tennis instructor. That instructor barely beat her in a pro-set match. He said that she could play in professional tournaments at that time.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Wow, I just had a weird thought about Ann Jones and Pauline Betz playing against each other. When one of the blogs about fantasy matchups. I thought about this one. Ann can play net and baseline. She would have had to play perfect to beat Pauline, I think. I also forgot to mention, Francoise Durr.

I read a 1976 newspaper article about her when she played a guy who was a pro as well as a tennis instructor. That instructor barely beat her in a pro-set match. He said that she could play in professional tournaments at that time.
Francoise Durr was one of the most interesting and entertaining players to watch live. I was lucky enough to see her play a World TeamTennis match in Philadelphia back in the mid-70s, and her unorthodox style, powderpuff serve, coupled with her fiery outbursts (always at her own self) were pure theater. I've never seen Pauline playing or on video, and only a few short clips of Ann Jones, so I really am not qualified to offer an opinion on that one.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #43
country flag trivfun

alfajeffster---

I was wondering when you talked to her. Do you ever talk about Rusty Addie's career in tennis? I saw old newspaperclips when he was playing the juniors. Unfortunately, he ran into a great player in Danny Birchmore (that Birchmore family is something) who beat players like Roscoe Tanner, Harold Solomon, and Jimmy Connors in the juniors.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #44
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I enjoyed every minute of that. Wish it could have gone on longer. Loved her little smile when she was asked about Steffi being the fastest on court
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #45

Quote:
alfajeffster---

I was wondering when you talked to her. Do you ever talk about Rusty Addie's career in tennis? I saw old newspaperclips when he was playing the juniors. Unfortunately, he ran into a great player in Danny Birchmore (that Birchmore family is something) who beat players like Roscoe Tanner, Harold Solomon, and Jimmy Connors in the juniors.
Not that I recall, but you may want to ask Rollo, as he was there with his tape recorder, and is probably in a better position to remember that kind of detail. I haven't spoken with her since that day, but to call and say thanks about a week later. I think Rollo may have spoken with her since then.