Ekaterina Makarova making waves Thread - Page 102 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #1516
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ekaterina Makarova making waves Thread

Actually, it was LL Ana Tatishvili, and Katya rolled over her 1 & 2.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #1517
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Fell to Stosur, 1 & 3. H2h evened to 1-all. Still a good tournament.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1518
Tennis Fool

New Haven:

(3)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v Ekaterina Makarova (RUS)
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) v Sofia Arvidsson (SWE)
Q v Andrea Petkovic (GER)
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) v (6)Dominika Cibulkova (SVK)

Come on, Katya, let's go for the upset!
Putintseva #1 player

Old Aug 21st, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1519
Tennis Fool

Lost 3 & 3. Now 0-4
Putintseva #1 player

Old Aug 25th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #1520
Tennis Fool

USO. Her section:

Peng
Vesnina
Makarova
LL-Daniilidou
Lucic
Martinez Sanchez
Vanderweghe
S Williams

No one wants to be in the section with Serena, but Katya should be able to win her opening match against LL Eleni.
Putintseva #1 player

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #1521
Tennis Fool

Congrats to Katya for winning her opening match, 1 & 4, for her first USO victory since 2008! Now faces Elena V. in the second round. Katya holds a 2-0 h2h over her.
Putintseva #1 player

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1522
Tennis Fool

And she defeated Elena once again, this time 3 & 4. She now has match her best ever effort at the USO, where she reached the 3rd rd in both 2007 and 2008. She will also be close to her career high ranking of #29.

If she meets Serena, at least she knows she can beat her on a hardcourt (see AO 12).
Putintseva #1 player

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1523
Tennis Fool

She was featured in on the WTA Tour website just prior to the Olympics. Here's the interview:

Getting To Know... Ekaterina Makarova

Sometimes, life's not fair. Most players with a WTA title, a career-best ranking inside the Top 30 and a win over one of the greatest tennis players ever to hold a racquet would be household names in their homeland. That is, unless you come from Russia.

With seven (yes, seven!) players inside the Top 50, Russia is spoilt for choice in terms of tennis talent like no other country. So pity poor Ekaterina Makarova, who despite the aforementioned achievements, sees six of her compatriots sitting above her in the rankings. She's not even the best player from her own city.

However, despite this fact the 24-year-old has managed to bag herself a spot on the Olympic team alongside Elena Vesnina in the doubles. And that's just as well, because she loves the Olympics. As wtatennis.com found out when it sat down with Russia's seventh best player. Sorry, Ekaterina.
How did you get into tennis?
EM:
I began playing when I was about six. My friend was playing at the Luzhniki club in the Olympic park in Moscow and I came along one time. I really liked it and asked my parents if I could go back and then just started to play more and more.
Can you tell us about your family?
EM:
We are just a normal family. My brother, Andrey, works in a bank, my father, Valery, is a businessman and my mother is called Olga and is a housewife who does everything for all of us!
Who coaches you at the moment?
EM:
I'm working with Evgenia Manyukova and we have been working together for five years already. I also have a fitness coach and a physio who are also really important in getting me in shape and keeping me that way.
How would you describe your game?
EM:
I'm playing pretty aggressive tennis and I really enjoy to play on fast surfaces, especially grass.
Who has been your toughest opponent?
EM:
All of them are tough! It is difficult to pick out just one because there are so many good players that I have come up against. I can't choose!
Did you have a tennis idol growing up?
EM:
I can say that my idol was Anastasia Myskina. I really love her game. I didn't try to base my game on her, but just watching her made me want to play because I just love her game. She's working with the Federation Cup now and I'm so happy sometimes when I'm also on the team and she's happy like to talk to me. That's an amazing feeling.
What has been you best memory in tennis so far?
EM:
That would be beating Serena Williams at the Australian Open this year. She's a great player and it's really tough to play against her. But on that day, I don't know, I felt so comfortable and I really thought that I could beat her. I played so well that day and to beat such a great player at a Grand Slam was just an amazing feeling.
What are your goals for this year and your career?
EM:
The Olympics are really important to me so for me it would be a dream to win an Olympic medal here in London. I don't really like to make too many goals as all I want to do is concentrate on my tennis and try and enjoy it. But if I had to choose one thing it would be the Olympics.
How far did you go in your education?
EM:
I finished school and now I am studying at university. It's quite difficult to fit it around tennis because I am travelling so often, but I think it's an important and I try to study hard.
What do you like to do to for fun?
EM:
I really like to dance! My favorite types of music are hip hop and R&B, although I also have another slightly embarrassing one: Roxette! Other than that I just like to do the usual things, like watching movies, meeting with friends and spending time with my family.
If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
EM:
Shy!
If you could meet anyone in the world who would you like it to be?
EM:
I've never thought about that. It's an interesting question. And a difficult one. I don't know the answer. I'll think about it and tell you another day!
If you weren't a tennis player what would you be doing now?
EM:
I think I really wanted to be a dancer when I was younger, so I'd love to be a hip hop dancer or something like that.
http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Gettin...864735,00.html
Putintseva #1 player

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1524
Tennis Fool

Went down to Serena, 4 & 0. Great USO for her, nonetheless.
Putintseva #1 player

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #1525
country flag Pvt. Kovalenko

Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of

Makarova and Bruno Soares won the Mixed Doubles title on US Open!!

6-7, 6-1 [12-10] over Kveta Peschke and Marcin Matkowski

Congrats Katya and Bruno!!!

Svetlana Kuznetsova / Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova / Maria Kirilenko / Valeria Savinykh

Sorana Cirstea / Petra Kvitova

Anastasia Myskina / Maria Sharapova / Elena Dementieva
Pvt. Kovalenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1526
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Can you say "Ekaterina Makarova, U.S. Open Champion."

Why yes. Yes, I can.

In fact, I think I'll say it again.

"Ekaterina Makarova, U.S. Open Champion."

I think it rolls off the tongue rather nicely.

Well done, Ekat and Bruno!!!!!
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1527
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1528
Tennis Fool

Katya
Putintseva #1 player

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1529
Tennis Fool

Putintseva #1 player

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #1530
Tennis Fool

http://2012.usopen.org/en_US/news/in...958317709.html
To print this page, select "Print" from your browser's File menu.An interview with: EKATERINA MAKAROVA and BRUNO SOARES

Thursday, September 6, 2012

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How you both are feeling right now?
BRUNO SOARES: I'm very, very happy. Katia?
EKATERINA MAKAROVA: Me, too. I have, I don't know, have something different feeling. (Laughter.)
BRUNO SOARES: Best feeling. It's good.

Q. Can you tell us a little bit more about how you two ended up actually been playing together at the tournament this time?
BRUNO SOARES: We played twice, couple times. We know each other. I was actually sad to play with Gajdosova, Australian girl, that I have been playing with her. Katia actually asked me and I was sad. I told her that unfortunately I couldn't do it and she decide not to play. But couple minutes before the sign‑in, I thought I was out with Gajdosova, and I started like being for Katia, because with her I would be in. Five minutes to go, I'm here in the referee's office and I find out Katia is practicing in the park. So I had to run ‑‑ actually, my coach did that. He went running all the way over there and talked to her and called me like 30 seconds to go and said, You can sign. So very last minute, 11:59, I signed us in. I guess it work out.

Q. You seemed much more relaxed on court than Bruno. The end of the first set seemed a little bit nervous, and also at the match tiebreak. You hold things much better than him. Did you feel that?
BRUNO SOARES: The whole tournament.
EKATERINA MAKAROVA: Actually, no, I didn't feel that. I think I was more nervous than Bruno in this match, for sure. The tiebreak first set and the final tiebreak, I don't know, maybe I seem like too good, but inside I was really nervous. Like when it was 8‑4 for sure I started to be tight.

Q. Did you expect that you can win such hard player as won Raymond who had brothers Bryan?
BRUNO SOARES: Yeah, we knew we were pretty good team. When we saw the draw, they made very tough for us. We didn't know really what to expect against Mike and Lisa Raymond. Katia played them at Wimbledon. It wasn't that good, but it was grass. It was different surface. We just came to play, tried to do our best. After the first match we played really good, and we talked to each other and said, If we keep playing like this, for sure we're going to have a chance to win the title. That's what happened. We had an amazing second round, and after that we knew it was just a matter of keep playing good. We knew we were gonna have a chance.

Q. Bruno, what's her best shots, the best things she has on court?
BRUNO SOARES: Well, I think, I mean, overall she's very solid. She serves well; she's lefty; she's got good hands; good volleys. But in mixed, one thing that really helps us is because she returns really well. So I think we managed to keep putting pressure even when the guy is serving. That's very important in mixed. I mean, give us more room to work on our serve because we don't serve that big. I'm not a huge server, so I have to work a lot on my serve, as well, and Katia, too. So when we're returning good I think it adds a lot to our service game. That's for me the best thing because she keep putting pressure, I move forward the net, and that works well for both of us.

Q. Same question for you, too.
BRUNO SOARES: What do I do good?
EKATERINA MAKAROVA: Volleys, it's definitely volleys. Because I just returning, and then Bruno did everything else, like close all the court. (Laughter.) So I think in mixed for sure, like moving when the guy is moving really good and volleys. I'm like I'm just standing there on the baseline. (Laughter.)

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
Putintseva #1 player