Myskina a class act - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1
clonesheep

clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future
Myskina a class act

This from Yahoo AP (irrelevant contents omitted). Scroll to the bottom for Myskina's comments.

Myskina Ends Sharapova's Streak at Acura
Sat Jul 31, 1:12 AM ET
By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer

CARLSBAD, Calif. - Anastasia Myskina's savvy paid off in a 7-5, 6-2 victory over the erratic Maria Sharapova in the Acura Classic quarterfinals Friday night that ended Sharapova's 14-match winning streak.

"I'm only 17," said Sharapova, who was visibly subdued and appeared near tears. "When I get to her age, I'll be a lot more experienced player and probably physically stronger. She's been around, she finds a way to win."

Sharapova led 5-2 in the first set when the 23-year-old Myskina reeled off five consecutive games to take the set. Twice in the match, Sharapova was broken on double faults.

"I know there's a lot I can learn from mistakes," she said.

Myskina broke twice to take a 4-0 lead in the second. Sharapova stayed aggressive throughout the 82-minute match, going for shots down the lines that often missed. Sharapova finally held at 4-1 with a 105-mph ace, then broke Myskina on a forehand error.

But Sharapova double-faulted away her service game and Myskina closed out the match with a forehand winner up the line.

"I'm not perfect. There are times you're going to lose," Sharapova said. "A few points I was getting a little frustrated. Her level of play definitely went up."

Sharapova won a Wimbledon (news - web sites) warmup tournament at Birmingham, then surprised Serena Williams in the All England Club final as part of her winning streak. Myskina improved to 3-0 against Sharapova, with all three wins coming this year.

The Russians clasped hands and traded kisses on each cheek at the net.

"I really respect Maria," said Myskina, who was upset about critical comments attributed to her about Sharapova that appeared in Russian media Friday. "It said I didn't respect her as a tennis player. I think she's a great person."

Myskina said she would apologize to Sharapova. The two often practice together.

"I watched her game the last couple of days and that helped me," Myskina said. "I knew I had to move her around. I changed pace against her. I knew if I kept fighting in some games she was going to break."
clonesheep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:16 PM   #2
Frank

Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the article sheep! It's very interesting.
Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:21 PM   #3
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
I think u need to change the title to Myskina AND Sharapova are class acts!

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:26 PM   #4
clonesheep

clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future clonesheep has a brilliant future
I think all of the "feuds" (she is Russian, she is not Russian) between Sharapova and Myskina are media fabrication. Glad that Myskina handled it well.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:35 PM   #5
clonesheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
I think u need to change the title to Myskina AND Sharapova are class acts!
I singled out Myskina because of her willingness to apologize, even though the media had apparently exaggerated what she said. I think they are both great persons.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:37 PM   #6
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Nastya and Masha
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Frank

Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Stupid media...They always manage to achieve semi-scandals like this one...
Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:15 AM   #8
country flag ~ The Leopard ~

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
Nastya!