Davenport's injury not serious; Will play in final. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:54 PM   #1
country flag Andrew.
A winner is me.

Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold
Davenport's injury not serious; Will play in final.

Davenport jams right knee, advances to Acura Classic final
By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
July 31, 2004

AP - Jul 31, 6:03 pm EDT

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) -- Lindsay Davenport overcame a jammed right knee to beat Elena Dementieva 6-2, 6-4 in the Acura Classic semifinals Saturday and extended her winning streak to 13 consecutive matches.

Davenport will play for her third title in as many weeks Sunday, giving her a chance to equal her California slam of 1998. That's when she won titles at Stanford, Los Angeles and Carlsbad leading up to the U.S. Open, where she earned her first Grand Slam title.

She will play either French Open champion Anastasia Myskina or 12th-seeded Vera Zvonareva, who were to meet in a night match at La Costa Resort and Spa.

Davenport jammed her knee when she was serving at 5-3. Dementieva hit a ball behind her that caught Davenport in an awkward position.

``At 5-4, it was hurting when I landed on my leg,'' she said. ``It looks like very little swelling. I tested negative on the really important spots on my knee. I feel lucky. It could have been a lot worse.''

Davenport had arthroscopic surgery on the same knee in 2002 that sidelined her for months and caused her to finish the year out of the top 10 for the first time in seven years.

``The pain was unrelated to my previous surgery,'' she said. ``I'm very relieved about that. I don't think anything major is wrong.''

Davenport said she planned to have her knee taped to alleviate stress on the kneecap for Sunday's final.

``I want to play,'' she said. ``This would be an unbelievable thing for me to win three (tournaments) in a row.''

Dementieva, the fifth seed and one of three Russians in the semifinals, also lost in the same round last week at Carson.

``She did everything right,'' Dementieva said. ``She was playing the best I've ever seen against me. She's very confident after winning two titles.''

Davenport appeared tired late in the match, with her groundstrokes having lost much of the early zip that had Dementieva scrambling.

The tournament already lost Serena and Venus Williams to injuries, while Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova was upset 7-5, 6-2 by Myskina in the quarterfinals Friday night.

Davenport lost only four points on her serve in the first set, winning two of four service games at love. She broke Dementieva with a backhand winner down the line to start the second set.

But the Russian converted her first break point against Davenport in the second game with a winning drop volley.

They needed seven deuces in the third game before Dementieva double-faulted to trail 2-1. There were several controversial calls in the game, prompting Davenport to make her third trip of the match to the chair umpire when the Russian's forehand on the baseline was called good, giving Dementieva the advantage.

Davenport yelled, raised her arms, came to the net and dropped her racket. ``Did you see it in? That's all I want to know,'' she asked before retreating to the baseline.

Dementieva was equally fed up with the officiating.

``It was too much,'' she said. ``There were a lot of mistakes both ways.''

Dementieva double-faulted for the sixth time for deuce. Davenport's forehand went long to give the Russian another chance to hold, but Davenport came up with a forehand volley on the line for deuce. Dementieva's forehand error set up Davenport's third break point and she converted on the Russian's double fault.

The crowd cheered during the changeover when new linespeople were rotated onto the court.

Trailing 3-2, Dementieva requested a trainer to look at her right leg. She had a wrap put on the muscle above her knee during a medical time-out. Davenport survived a break point on her serve to go up 4-2, then broke the Russian at 40-love for a 5-2 lead.

``I strained my muscle,'' she said. ``It was kind of difficult to move.''

But Davenport blew her first match point with a backhand error. Dementieva broke Davenport on a netted forehand to trail 5-3. Dementieva started mixing the speeds of her serves, and got to 5-4 when Davenport's forehand return was long off a serve in the 50-mph range.

Davenport closed out the 97-minute match on her third match point when Dementieva netted a backhand.
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
omfg!!

if I see one more injury I am literally going to cry!!!!!!!

Elena is getting treated as well...well at least what I saw from the changeover...

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:29 PM   #3
country flag !<blocparty>!
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.

!<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Andrew

Hope that knee, and the rest of her body holds up. Dont get injured Linds, PLZ

She'll have some rest now, as she is non playing the olympics, which is a smart move IMO, if she was playing, she would have gone into it having played the most tennis out of every1 on tour.

Hopefully this time off will give her knee time to fully recover and feel great for New Haven and Flushing meadows

Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:33 PM   #4
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
I hate this, it doesn't seem fair when a player is doing so well to have this sorts of injuries. Let's hope after a night's rest it won't be worse. At least sh ehas a few weeks of rest coming up.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:13 AM   #5
country flag baleineau

baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future
myskina 'upset' sharapova? both grand slam champions in 2004. myskina much more experienced and accomplished, and has a higher rank (threatening to be number 2 in the world). in what way was this an 'upset'?
You have long been my goal, been my chasing, been my soul. I have hung out on the edge. But I just couldn't let go. There's a time to forgive. There's a time to forget. Close your eyes, get ready, set. Walk me down this fall I'm taking but don't let me go yet. Oh let me go, sweetheart, throw me, around you, like you know me. And remember me too. Remember me too from a dream i had of you. Mary Margaret O'Hara | Dream I Had | Apartment Hunting | 2002.
baleineau is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:22 AM   #6
country flag CJK

CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baleineau
myskina 'upset' sharapova? both grand slam champions in 2004. myskina much more experienced and accomplished, and has a higher rank (threatening to be number 2 in the world). in what way was this an 'upset'?
I think the press has their own imaginary rankings, by popularity that is.
Good to know Lindsay is coming thx Andrew.
CJK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:41 AM   #7
country flag bis2806

bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute
Phew, thankfully lindsay's injury is not serious! i really hope she can strike the ball as well as she has been in the last 2 weeks! and dementieva is sweet as always
bis2806 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:57 AM   #8
country flag LindsayRocks89

LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold
Lindsay, i pray ur alright, and its good that ur knee isn't hurt to bad, i wish u the best of luck in tomorrows final, and hope u win ur 3rd title, but most importantly, that u stay healthy and do not injure the knee badly
LindsayRocks89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:59 AM   #9
country flag MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute
Well now that Momo is out, Go Linds!!! You can't go this far and not win!!
MARIA SHARAPOVA: "Amélie, you know it doesn't really matter at this point. I mean, I'd love to, I mean, Amélie is No. 1 in the world. She's playing great tennis. You know, I love that challenge of going out there and competing against the best in the world."
You'd love to what, Maria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
This Amelie bashing gets more ludicrous by the day! What do you want her to do, crawl back to the chair???? For heavens sake who gives a toss how she gets back to the chair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie

Amelie FINALLY won two slams I mean let the woman RUN to her fucking chair.
MinnyGophers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM   #10
country flag Leo_DFP

Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute
*breaths a sigh of relief*

Let's hope she is okay in one minute when the match starts!
Leo_DFP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote