Masha: Russian or American? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #1
country flag Lemonskin.

Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute
Masha: Russian or American?

So there's been a bit of nastiness between the Russian players... Myskina and Dementieva (rather cattily i think) have lashed out, proclaiming that Maria is not Russian, but American. See the below article.

Sharapova hits back in nationality row

Maria Sharapova raced into the quarter-finals of the $1.3 million Acura Classic with a 6-0, 6-1 drubbing of Argentina's Gisela Dulko on Thursday before turning her attention to the WTA Tour's hottest topic.

Fellow countrywoman Elena Dementieva has said that Sharapova is "not really Russian" while French Open champion Anastasia Myskina joined the debate by suggesting the Wimbledon winner's mentality was American.

Myskina also cast doubts on whether Sharapova had ever been back to her homeland since moving to the United States at the age of seven for tennis coaching.

The comments by Myskina, 23, should serve to add extra spice to her all-Russian clash with Sharapova, 17, on Friday.

"We've had totally different ways of growing up and developing our careers," Sharapova told reporters. "Even though I train in America, I'm still Russian.

"That's where I come from. No one is going to tell me where I'm from because I know where I'm from.

RIGHT DECISION

"Just because I made the decision to develop my tennis somewhere else...I think I made the right decision."

Despite her comments, Myskina said she would welcome Sharapova in the Russian Fed Cup team next year.

Myskina added that the teenager spoke Russian "pretty well" for someone who had spent most of her life in the U.S.

"Maria has lived in the United States and she's more comfortable in English than she is in Russian," Myskina said.

"But if she wants to play Fed Cup next year, why not? We want to have all the good players because it's easier to win matches."

Sharapova feels comfortable living in the U.S. but says she has not adopted the country that she lives in.

"I don't feel American at all," Sharapova said. "I feel this is part of my job.

"I came to the United States because of my tennis...I moved here because of my tennis, not for anything else."

... what do you think? Russian or American? She's lived more of her life in America than Russia. I have not idea what her passport says she is. I like to think of her as Russian anyway.
grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-
nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-
kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?
Lemonskin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #2
country flag Ivan C
Banned

Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point
She is at least 100% Russian through and through.
Which ever russian said bad things about her is because they are sore losers.
Ivan C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #3
Frank

Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Come on! There's already a thread about this in the general section. And there's just no discussion possible reading the following quotes from Masha herself:

"We've had totally different ways of growing up and developing our careers. Even though I train in America, I'm still Russian.
That's where I come from. No one is going to tell me where I'm from because I know where I'm from."

"I don't feel American at all, I feel this is part of my job. I came to the United States because of my tennis...I moved here because of my tennis, not for anything else."
Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #4
country flag Andy Mac

Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future
i agree with her because i am similar to her nationality problem lol.....im an immigrant from britain...been living in canada for over 3 years now and im still brittish..

If you've been unfairly badrepped go here: http://www2.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=153890&page=1

CHARLOTTE PETRICK

remember that name!

0001..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl

Member of Marias Mafia, known to many as scarface
Andy Mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #5
country flag !!!--Duiz™--!!!
Team WTAworld

!!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerf
Come on! There's already a thread about this in the general section. And there's just no discussion possible reading the following quotes from Masha herself:

"We've had totally different ways of growing up and developing our careers. Even though I train in America, I'm still Russian.
That's where I come from. No one is going to tell me where I'm from because I know where I'm from."

"I don't feel American at all, I feel this is part of my job. I came to the United States because of my tennis...I moved here because of my tennis, not for anything else."
Sounds like if we have been abused....

Supernova Sharapova

0009..Eternal Follower of Golden Girl
The Official Violin Player in Kirlenko's Orchestra
!!!--Duiz™--!!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #6
Frank

Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiz
Sounds like if we have been abused....
Do you mean Masha abused Americans??
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Team WTAworld

!!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute !!!--Duiz™--!!! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Do you mean Masha abused Americans??
It is just a joke, but yes... that commentary sounds like that... Though I don't care! I like her abusing us and getting all those benefits...

Supernova Sharapova

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Frank

Oh well. You know what they say: The world is a global village.........
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #9
Team WTAworld

anyways... MAria is about 50% american either she wants it or not...

Supernova Sharapova

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #10
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiz
anyways... MAria is about 50% american either she wants it or not...
Hmmm.... I don't agree. You are what you feel. If Masha feels 100% Russian than she is 100% Russian.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #11
Team WTAworld

Yet she had to customize herself to live in America, also she has living her so many years, that the american culture has influenced in her life, even htough she keeps saying she is Russian.

Supernova Sharapova

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #12
Frank

American culture has influenced her life, that's for sure. Yet, I believe that you are what you feel...
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #13
Team WTAworld

Quote:
American culture has influenced her life, that's for sure. Yet, I believe that you are what you feel...
Remeber that there are some things thta you are conscious of.. and some others that you are not.. that is why in ennegrams they tell you both your conscious and subconcious analyzation...

Supernova Sharapova

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #14
country flag deckham

deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light deckham is a glorious beacon of light
She is russian.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
deckham is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #15
Team WTAworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckham
She is russian.

True... but we are talking about psycholigically and emotionally... not nationality

Supernova Sharapova