Lindsay Davenport: 1998 vs 2001 vs 2004, which year is your favourite?? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which era do you pick?

1998 12 33.33%
2001 4 11.11%
2004 20 55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #1
country flag CJK

CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road
Lindsay Davenport: 1998 vs 2001 vs 2004, which year is your favourite??

In both 1998 and 2001, Lindsay ended the year as #1 in the world.

In 1998, Lindsay had an almost perfect summer HO series as she took down the defending champion Martina Hingis in the final to win her first slam and then went on to become #1 in the world at the end of the year.

In 2001, Venus and Jen each had 2 slams that year, but Lindsay was still able to fend off both of them to end up the year as #1 in the world. This is where she had a perfect record during the fall European indoor season.

Now in 2004, she is going to become #2 in the world if she reaches the final of San Diego, the ranking she lost during her recovery period in 2002. Has she become better than she was in the past, or has she declined?
CJK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #2
country flag Ivan C
Banned

Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point Ivan C is an unknown quantity at this point
2004, She just beat V Williams twice and S Williams all in the final of tournaments, she also reached semis of wimbledon. All that in a space of about a month is pretty impressive.
Ivan C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #3
PatM04

PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future
I think she is much improved from 98 and 01. Her mobility is much stronger and she is fitter. Not to mention that I think her desire is stronger than ever. If she wins the open this year I will say that 2004 is my favorite era for her, even though she won it in 98 as well.

www.tiffanydabek.com
www.saraevans.com
PatM04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #4
country flag Elske
Kitty's muff muncher

Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute
Wimbledon 99 -> Indian Wells 00
Elske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #5
country flag LUXXXAS
Team WTAworld

LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute
I think 2004 because she's 28 and still kick this young asses really hard! And I feel she will be No.1 at the end of the year...
LUXXXAS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #6
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
It will be pretty hard for her to manage not to end up at no. 1 at this point . That assumes that she stays healthy.
mboyle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #7
country flag Ann

Ann is an unknown quantity at this point Ann is an unknown quantity at this point Ann is an unknown quantity at this point
Ann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #8
country flag foreva lindsay

foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of
2004 :d

Elena Baltacha Alicia Molik
*Alicia's coming back!!! *

Lisa Raymond Rennae Stubbs Nadia Petrova Anna-Lena Groenefeld
foreva lindsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #9
country flag !<blocparty>!
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.

!<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute
she is better than ever, but players like Kim and Justine stepped up their games, and obviously Serena, V was there in 2001 though

2004 is the best for me, coz the tour has progressed further, Linds is older.

Im loving this run of hers even more now, as I am more of a fan aswell

Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #10
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan C
2004, She just beat V Williams twice and S Williams all in the final of tournaments, she also reached semis of wimbledon. All that in a space of about a month is pretty impressive.
Funny how people can call them all athletics and little talent in one thread, yet it's impressive when someone beats them?

I like the Lindsay of 04, brimming w/confidence, and even a bit of a swagger, she's been playing great tennis.

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #11
country flag bis2806

bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute
I like Lindsay this year because she's starting to gain her old form and she's looking much better on court now
bis2806 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #12
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elske
Wimbledon 99 -> Indian Wells 00
I absolutely agree! That was an amazing period.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:31 AM   #13
gossipcom

gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice
Yeah 2001 she had a perfect record before her knee decided to go Belly Up on her *sigh*

I agree about the Wimbledon 99 to Indian Wells 00 period - that was awesome
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #14
country flag jacs
Team WTAworld
TOP President

jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future
1998 was the best year for her IMO
It's not shyness I have. It's just that I'm not one of those people who loves to open a newspaper of magazine and see myself all the time. I don't like that at all. I prefer to play my tennis which I love, and with which I've been blessed.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT

BBT Belligerent Bliss on Twitter BBM Belligerent Bliss on Multiply
jacs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:38 AM   #15
country flag Gogo123

Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all Gogo123 is a name known to all
Looks like she has one of her great runs every three years
i have to say 2004 is my favorite as i wasnt following the years before
Tatiana Golovin
Gogo123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote