Tennis Forum banner

Tuesday Report

848 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  RIPwtaworld 
#1 ·
I went down to Carlsbad for the day session from 10 am until around 5. Here's my report on the matches I saw and players i saw:

First Round: Shinobu Asagoe def. Meghann Shaughnessy

Believe it or not, this set could have gone either way. Meghann had at least one break point in each of Shinobu's service games. But, she was visibly injured. Her neck seemed to really bother her, and after about three different treatments for the trainer, she retired while serving at 0-40 in the first game of the second set.

First Round: Conchita Martinez def. Emelie Loit

I was there for the last part of the first set, and first three games of the second. The 6-1 Conchita scoreline in the first set was really not telling the story. Each and every game went to deuce, and it was a 51 minute set. Loit had many break points and game points she could not convert, and the set could have easily been 6-1 Loit. After the first set, Loit called for the trainer, but I'm not sure what for. Then she continued to play, and I left with Martinez leading 2-1.

Second Round: Amy Frazier def. Ashley Harkleroad

Again, the scoreline doesn't tell the story. I saw most of the first set, and each game went to deuce, and in all but one of Amy's service games, Ashley had a break point. There were some beautiful shots from both players, and it really was a nice set to watch.

Second Round: Vera Zvonareva def. Maria Sanchez Lorenzo

I showed up in the second set with Bepa down a break 0-1, but she had won the first set 6-0. She then went on to lead 5-1, but had a really hard time closing it out. She was broken serving for it after holding a match point, then had 0-40 on MSL's serve, then she had Ad. That ponit was very interesting, because Bepa hit a FH DTL which looked like a winner, but it was called out by the chair. Bepa was already at net waiting for MSL, then had to go back and go through it again. She finally took the match on her 8th match point in the next game.

Second Round: Serena Williams def. Jelena Jankovic

Wow. I don't think I or anyone expected Serena to struggle so much. She went out to a 5-2 lead in the first set, but her serve absolutely imploded. Serena made so many unforced errors, I was amazed. Jankovic played well in the tiebreaker, but Serena errors were what gave Jelena the set. The second and third sets weren't great either. Jankovic's serve was crap, yet she still managed to produce a decent scoreline by breaknig Serena. Serena has got to work on the serve and forehand, because it's really starting to catch up with her.

Venus came out and gave a nice talk to the audience about why she couldn't play, and was warmly received.

Second Round: Gisela Dulko def. Tamarine Tanasugarn

I only stayed for the first three games. It was really bad. Just a ton of errors from both players.

Doubles Second Round: Huber/Daniilidou def. Pierce/Mauresmo

I had a feeling Momo would be in trouble this week after watching her play doubles. Sure enough, I was right. Mary was coming up with some shots that were just amazing, especially at net and when returning serve. Amelie made way too many errors and seemed flat. It was a fun match though. This is the first time I saw Eleni play in person, and she really has some talent.

See less See more
Reactions: HectorMagnus
#3 ·
Who the hell is Bepa?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.