Venus fans - why is she playing this week? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #1
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute
Venus fans - why is she playing this week?

Just out of curiosity, sorry if this has been answered somewhere, I just cant be bothered searching..

But why is Venus playing this week, a few days after retiring hurt against Davenport? Would her wrist injury be any better? Is that a concern leading up to the US Open?
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #2
country flag Jericho

Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute
she can still pull out if she wants to...it'll be a lose/lose situation on her part especially on this board

Jericho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #3
country flag volta

volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute
yeah she will try play the tournament but she can retire from it o she doesn´t lose anything for give it a try
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #4
country flag jesper1979
Banned

jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
She will retire anyway cause of hurting her wrist and thsi time while she was brurshing her teeth , at us open cuase she hurt her wrist setting her alarm-clock
And at the olympics cuase she hurt her wrist thinking of ways to hurt her wrist
jesper1979 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #5
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
she hasn't played yet.

And I also remember a quote from Serena saying that the WTA pushed her to play more this summer. One could assume the same was said to Venus.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #6
country flag azza

azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute
Because she might not be injured.
azza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #7
country flag WSfan
Registered 1

WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper1979
She will retire anyway cause of hurting her wrist and thsi time while she was brurshing her teeth , at us open cuase she hurt her wrist setting her alarm-clock
And at the olympics cuase she hurt her wrist thinking of ways to hurt her wrist

I don't get how people think that injury was a fluke... it was obvious she was hurt... If she was not hurt no doubt she would have beaten Davenport since leading 5-0, playing aggressively, playing at net, and the forehand was great!! So you can say anything you want, but I've never seen Venus fake any of her injuries...
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #8
country flag boggs570
Banned

boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough boggs570 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSfan
I don't get how people think that injury was a fluke... it was obvious she was hurt... If she was not hurt no doubt she would have beaten Davenport since leading 5-0, playing aggressively, playing at net, and the forehand was great!! So you can say anything you want, but I've never seen Venus fake any of her injuries...
As usual V&S can never get a break. Again, they damn if they do and damn if they don't. If she goes and play people would critized her for playing while hurt, if she does not try people would say well, she could of try to play. That's why Serena said what she said "Do You"...they are going to do whatever the hell they want because they are critized anyway.

When other players are injured and they pull out of a tournament everyone agrees with them that they were right to pull out and not make the injury worse...but good lord let it be one of the sisters......truly sad and when fans cry racism everyone claims it is not racism. THEN WHAT THE HELL IS IT IF OTHERS CAN DO IT WITHOUT BEING CRITIZED BUT WHEN THE SISTERS DO IT IT'S LIKE THEY COMMIT A CRIME.

The same goes with complementing a player other players can say the worse thing after they play a bad match and not complement their opponent but again, dear god do not let V or S say the same they'll want to lynch and hang them.
boggs570 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #9
pierce0415

pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute
She is probably trying to raise her seeding for the US OPEN to one of the top 8
pierce0415 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #10
country flag Williams Rulez
Team WTAworld

Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce0415
She is probably trying to raise her seeding for the US OPEN to one of the top 8
Tt might be the main reason...

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #11
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
The injury was not a Fluke, even Davenport said she notice a change at about 5-3, and she didn't think she would win the set, she just wanted Momentum going into the second set.

I think it was just a mild strain, and Venus wanted to see if she would be ready to play the Acura, if she competes, she's declaring herself fit.

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Foot_Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #12
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza
Because she might not be injured.
Exactly.

She wants to play this week because she has no points to defend, it gives her tme to rest before the Olympics if she loses before Sunday (tennis doesn't start in the Olympics until August 16) and what she suffered probably wasn't as serious as we thought (I said before, she pulled out knowing she had to play this week).

We will know for sure late this afternoon when she is scheduled to play.
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #13
pigam

pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
Exactly.

She wants to play this week because she has no points to defend, it gives her tme to rest before the Olympics if she loses before Sunday (tennis doesn't start in the Olympics until August 16) and what she suffered probably wasn't as serious as we thought (I said before, she pulled out knowing she had to play this week).

We will know for sure late this afternoon when she is scheduled to play.
sorry 'bnout this stupid question (I could easily look this up )
but what time is it in the US @ the moment?
Thanks

Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #14
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam
sorry 'bnout this stupid question (I could easily look this up )
but what time is it in the US @ the moment?
Thanks
Right now, it is 8:56AM in NY where I am, 7:56 AM in Chicago, 5:56 in San Diego, 1:56PPM in London and 2:56PM where you are.
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #15
pigam

pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
Right now, it is 8:56AM in NY where I am, 7:56 AM in Chicago, 5:56 in San Diego, 1:56PPM in London and 2:56PM where you are.
I know what time it is here.
I actually wanted to know the San Diego time difference (wasn't sure it was different from NY ) -damnit! it is even more difference than NY -) Sooooo glad there are 2 GS in Europe
Thankns!

Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote