The lack of title defense by the Belgians, #1 and #2 in the world, is amazing. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:40 AM   #1
country flag CJK

CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road
The lack of title defense by the Belgians, #1 and #2 in the world, is amazing.

Amazing how injuries can be so significant on a player's career.
There has been 45title defenders this year.

Justine Henin-Hardenne: Dubai titles to defend: Canadian Open, US Open, Zurich
Out of the 8 tournaments she won last year, she only defended 1, but that's the 2nd worst defending efforts this year.

Serena Williams: Miami titles to defend: none
She has won owned Miami for the last 3 years. This is the tournament which is owned by the sisters with 6 of the last 7 years won by a Williams, a record of 21-0.

Lindsay Davenport: Tokyo titles to defend: none
She has owned Tokyo title for the last 3 years and won 4 of the last 5 Tokyo titles. Martina won it 6 years ago and won again 2 years later. Lindsay also set a record losing 13 games only.

Anastasia Myskina: Doha titles to defend: Leipzig, Moscow
First ever title Defense for Nastya and this is after the upgrade of Doha

Fabiola Zuluaga: Bogota titles to defend: none
She won Bogota for the 3rd straight years, tying her record with Lindsay and Serena.

And the 6th person I hope to see defend is
Kim Clijsters titles to defend: Filderstadt, Luxemburg, YEC
She has defended at least once for the last 3 years, the most on tour.
2001: she defended Leipzig, her first Tier II or above title.
2002: she defended Luxemburg, the place where she won her first title in 99
2003: she defended 3 titles YEC, Filderstadt and Luxemburg.
(She owns Luxemburg, she was an Anna Kournikova away from winning it for 5 years.
But YEC and Filderstadt are 2 of the hardest tournaments to defend outside slams.)

In 2003 she led the tour by title defense with 3 title defense,
followed by Serena who defended 2 titles (Wimbledon and Miami).

But out of the 9 titles she won in 2003, she has defended none, and the only ones left are the 3 she defended last year. And YEC and Filderstadt will take a miracle to defend, so the best chance will come at Luxemburg where she can do a four-peat, let's hope she can do that, Farina-Elia failed it this year,
Just want to add that I thought Steffi was the one to do it four times, then I found out that the last person to do a 4-peat was Venus Williams beating Lindsay 3 times and Monica once in the New Haven.

GOOD LUCK KIM CLIJSTERS

Last edited by CJK : Jul 31st, 2004 at 04:24 PM.
CJK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:43 AM   #2
country flag Keith

Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future
She hs not played healthy since like February.
Keith is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:44 AM   #3
country flag Keith

Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future Keith has a brilliant future
Steffi couldnt defend anything in 2000 either.
Keith is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #4
country flag Leo_DFP

Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute
Keith.

Follow my tennis musings: http://davesdropshots.tumblr.com/
Leo_DFP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:31 AM   #5
country flag xin_hui

xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute
it really shows a lot about your intellegience when u take a player whos been injured the most part of the year
xin_hui is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #6
country flag jesper1979
Banned

jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
what a stupid thread is this, it's like saying that while Brazil is the best soccer team in the world they didn't win the european championships this summer
Get it?
jesper1979 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #7
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
when you're injured, of course not. She's the Venus of 2003 (while Serena wasn't able to defend her US Open, Venus of course was injured for all of her summer titles, and also B&L title)
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM   #8
country flag CJK

CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurl_tennis
it really shows a lot about your intellegience when u take a player whos been injured the most part of the year
I think people have already realized this. The point I'm trying to get across to is that it's really been a wacky year where only a few have defended. I believe last year by now there were already close to 10 title defenses. But the injuries have been keeping some of the super stars last year to defend. It's really sad even though refreshing for the tennis scene.

NO BASHING INTENDED. Just trying to point out the interesting lack of defense in 2004.
So please do not misunderstand this thread, thx.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #9
country flag jesper1979
Banned

jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point jesper1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you're wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
when you're injured, of course not. She's the Venus of 2003 (while Serena wasn't able to defend her US Open, Venus of course was injured for all of her summer titles, and also B&L title)
Both Kim and justine are really not able to play so far. Both still really love the game and will try everything to be back as soon as possible, and with the williams break last year i'm not sure they were to keen on coming back soon as possible. Dont get me wrong i dont say they weren't injured i just question the time before returning on the tour
jesper1979 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #10
country flag CJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper1979
Both Kim and justine are really not able to play so far. Both still really love the game and will try everything to be back as soon as possible, and with the williams break last year i'm not sure they were to keen on coming back soon as possible. Dont get me wrong i dont say they weren't injured i just question the time before returning on the tour
Yes, I do think she is capable of defending as well.
Strangely, she is not on the website for Seat Open (Luxemburg), let's hope she defends.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #11
country flag Hant Hant

Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light Hant Hant is a glorious beacon of light
Kim needs to be healthy first and play in order to defend.
Hant Hant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 08:32 AM   #12
country flag CJK

Justine forfeits her title defense this week.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 09:12 AM   #13
country flag Vass22

Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future Vass22 has a brilliant future
It's not that there's lack of effort, it's just that there can't be no effort.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 01:27 PM   #14
country flag Truthwillout

Truthwillout has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
I think people have already realized this. The point I'm trying to get across to is that it's really been a wacky year where only a few have defended. I believe last year by now there were already close to 10 title defenses. But the injuries have been keeping some of the super stars last year to defend. It's really sad even though refreshing for the tennis scene.

NO BASHING INTENDED. Just trying to point out the interesting lack of defense in 2004.
So please do not misunderstand this thread, thx.
Come on, CJK, you can't have it both ways. First you make a sensational thread headline which literally reads as an attempt to disparage the Belgians, then you back-pedal on it pretending there's no bashing intended. Learn how to phrase your statements appropriately if you don't want to sound dumb or be misunderstood. They've both been out of the tour for months so I don't see how the hell they could defend anything. End of the story (I hope)
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 03:13 PM   #15
country flag hotandspicey

hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute hotandspicey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper1979
Why don't u question the length of time that Kim and justine are taking to return to the tour? Stop the bs. You are implying that the sisters were not really injured.They took their time to heal, and the Belgians are doing the same.Give it a rest,already!!!!!
hotandspicey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote