Who else thinks the next all WILLIAMS match might - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #1
pigam

pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute
Who else thinks the next all WILLIAMS match might

...be a sort of a turning point for both players?

From the (I admit) little of their matches I've seen, I feel as if Venus is playing
better tennis at this moment.
BUT we all know Venus had difficulties beating Serena in the recent past.
I was just thinking.
IF Serena wins again, in an all WS match (like this week, perhaps) this could
really boost her confidence further and would be great BUT if she were to lose,
I have a feeling she would feel very 'ashamed' because she used to beat Venus.

of course, the contrary goes for Venus, if Venus were to win, it would mean a lot to her (and her fans)
I think, because -as we've seen before- one match can'turn the tables'.
If Venus would lose (again) to Serena, I'm afraid it would be very tough for her, since it has been so long since she beat Serena,
and Serena seems to be a bit more 'beatable' at this moment...

What do you think? Just a match like any other?

Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."

Last edited by pigam : Jul 26th, 2004 at 04:02 PM.
pigam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #2
pigam

pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute
noone?

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #3
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm.....you might be on something. I think that it is more important to Serena than to Venus. If Serena loses to Venus again after losing to Lindsay for the first time in years, she might go on a spiral like she went through in ´00-´01....for Venus well it would be a HUUUGGEE boost but I think she already got that when she played Lindsay pretty tough despite all the ufe´s.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #4
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
it would mean more to Venus than Serena I think
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #5
pigam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcdonald
it would mean more to Venus than Serena I think
More in terms as 'emotionnally' or more important for her carreer?
Cuz I think a win over Serena could be very important for her carreer (more then if Serena wer to win against venus - 'been there, done that'-) BUT, I think, emotionallt it would be harder on Serena.
Of course, I don't know them personnaly so I'm only guessing

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #6
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam
More in terms as 'emotionnally' or more important for her carreer?
Cuz I think a win over Serena could be very important for her carreer (more then if Serena wer to win against venus - 'been there, done that'-) BUT, I think, emotionallt it would be harder on Serena.
Of course, I don't know them personnaly so I'm only guessing

Let´s put it this way...for Venus it´d be great because it means she got over a block for herself.

For Serena it´d be funest...think about it. This year she lost twice to Jennifer after nearly three years, lost to Lindsay lopsided for the first time in 4 years. People she used to OWN and they all beat her. Can you imagine what a loss to Venus after three years might do to her?!

She´s already low on confidence...another loss to a player she hasn´t lost to in YEARS, I don´t know...

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #7
calabar

calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam
...be a sort of a turning point for both players?

IF Serena wins again, in an all WS match (like this week, perhaps) this could
really boost her confidence further and would be great BUT if she were to lose,
I have a feeling she would feel very 'ashamed' because she used to beat Venus.
I can't say I agree. In women's tennis (and men's too I guess) there are many examples where a player has a string of victories over another and then suddenly, the trend is reversed. It happens all the time. Evert had Navratilova's number in the early part of the rivalry and then Navratilova turned things around......and the rest is history. And remember, Venus had Serena's number for a brief moment and that all got changed. No reason for anyone to be ashamed.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war...

- Bob Marley/Haile Selassie
calabar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #8
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
they won't meet this week though...By the time they meet again, Serena will be back to her original self and will win.
mboyle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #9
country flag CJK

CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road
Probably not, but if Venus loses badly to Serena, again, then it'll be a huge blow to her confidence. In their matches, Serena is always the one not holding back, so the results are usually quite predictable.
Currently, I do think Serena is confident enough that a match against Venus will mean less than a match against Maria. And for Venus, I'm sure she wants to avoid Serena as much as possible like in Indian Wells. I can only think of bad things if they meet.

HOWEVER, I do hope it can be a turn-around for both of them. Because I want to see them doing what they can do. At the US Open, everything will be in chaos, hope they can make sure to use this to their advantage. I want to see them in top 5, there are far less deserving people up there.
CJK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #10
country flag WSfan
Registered 1

WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice WSfan is just really nice
I think this week was Venuss' best weeks so far... Have you seen the beginning of DAvenport match... she just basically took control and was aggressive... Then she had that injury which caused her to lose the match... I say Venus is definitely getting her form back.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #11
bandabou

Maybe we will have an answer by friday.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #12
country flag UDiTY

UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of
If they they would make it to the semis and play, with Venus coming out the victor, I think it would take them both to another level. Venus would get confidence back. And Serena would get hungry again.

:crossing my fingers:

UDiTY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote