** Masha News and Articles! ** - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #46
country flag lakan kildap

lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold
Well, it's business, you know. Whether we like it or not, Maria is in a business. And I don't know of any business that says NO to income.

I mean, if this is simply about tennis, why do they even need prize money? Why can't they just fly around the world and play these matches for the sheer love of the game? Don't we all wish they'd simply wear generic white outfits like the one Goran wore at Wimbledon, with no sponsor logos? Right. Except that's not gonna happen. This is a business.

It's not like your club legend of a rock star selling out to a record label and then goes on to produce fan-friendly, hummable tunes. Maria will still be playing tennis. She will still grunt and bark "Come on" like before.

The only thing that bothers me is how this affects her off-court. The Motorola deal has already compromised her speech (she's using the word "connection" more frequently) for starters. And the one horror scene that repeats itself in my mind: Now that she's a Canon girl, what do I do with my Nikon gear? Do I change brands? And in the one-in-a-billion chance that I will meet her, will she even sign an autograph for me and let me take a picture of her with my Coolpix? Aaarrrgh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #47
country flag Princess Sarah.

Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakan kildap
Well, it's business, you know. Whether we like it or not, Maria is in a business. And I don't know of any business that says NO to income.

I mean, if this is simply about tennis, why do they even need prize money? Why can't they just fly around the world and play these matches for the sheer love of the game? Don't we all wish they'd simply wear generic white outfits like the one Goran wore at Wimbledon, with no sponsor logos? Right. Except that's not gonna happen. This is a business.

It's not like your club legend of a rock star selling out to a record label and then goes on to produce fan-friendly, hummable tunes. Maria will still be playing tennis. She will still grunt and bark "Come on" like before.

The only thing that bothers me is how this affects her off-court. The Motorola deal has already compromised her speech (she's using the word "connection" more frequently) for starters. And the one horror scene that repeats itself in my mind: Now that she's a Canon girl, what do I do with my Nikon gear? Do I change brands? And in the one-in-a-billion chance that I will meet her, will she even sign an autograph for me and let me take a picture of her with my Coolpix? Aaarrrgh!
conon don't make film do they??? coz i would have sed switch film! Do u really think it's worth changing ur camera just coz Maria is endorsing it? i mean i know ur a fan and all but don't you think thats a little extreme? maybe you could buy a canon printer or scanner or something along those lines! IMO i think she should be focusing more on her tennis rather than endorsment deals she can do that later i mean she's only 17
Princess Sarah. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #48

lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocc0
conon don't make film do they??? coz i would have sed switch film! Do u really think it's worth changing ur camera just coz Maria is endorsing it? i mean i know ur a fan and all but don't you think thats a little extreme? maybe you could buy a canon printer or scanner or something along those lines!
Relax, the switching brands thing was just a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocc0
IMO i think she should be focusing more on her tennis rather than endorsment deals she can do that later i mean she's only 17
Actually, from a strictly business POV, I think Maria's team are doing it the right way. If Maria is going to make money endorsing products, then now is the right time. She won't be the "it" girl forever. But now she is. Now is the time. Doing this later like you suggest, there's no guarantee that people or even companies will still want her.

Last edited by lakan kildap : Nov 8th, 2004 at 08:10 AM.
lakan kildap is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #49

Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute
oh good coz u scared me there for a second!
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 01:10 AM   #50
country flag Dan23

Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute
Finally an actual article thats readable in English about this problem Maria has with the balls.
Also Vera Z has backed her up but Mauresmo doesnt agree..

Quote:
Sharapova wants to drop the balls

Maria Sharapova has complained that the official WTA Tour balls are too heavy and caused her recent chest and shoulder injuries. The 17-year-old Russian asked the Tour not to use its official Tretorn edition balls at this week's season-ending WTA Championships, but her request fell on deaf ears.

"They are heavy on my arm," Wimbledon winner Sharapova said on Tuesday, two days ahead of her opening match at the eight-women round robin event against compatriot Vera Zvonareva.

"It's something that the Tour and (CEO) Larry Scott have to look into. I'm sure the WTA doesn't want anyone to get injured."

Tour spokesman Darrell Fry said that after Sharapova made a private complaint a few weeks ago, the WTA consulted experts and other players as to whether the balls had become a problem but could not find any evidence that her assertion was true.

"There's no correlation at all between player injuries and Tretorn balls," Fry said.

"The health of our players is first and foremost in our minds. That's why we conducted blind tests with dozens of players last year to find the best ball, which turned out to be Tretorn.

"If there are complaints in the future, we'll look into them."

The WTA has a three-year contract with Tretorn but Sharapova and Zvonareva want to see a change as soon as possible.

"The most important thing is figuring out which ball isn't going to injure players," said Sharapova, who claims that the heaviness of the balls led to a pectoral injury at a tournament in Zurich three weeks ago.

The Russian also blames the balls for her shoulder injury in Philadelphia last week, when she was forced to pull out of her semi-final against eventual champion Amelie Mauresmo.

"It's very important to help players who are injured," she added.

Even if other players like Tretorn and are not getting injured, I think the best thing is to help the girls who are."

SURFACE ISSUES

Zvonareva, who reached the final in Philadelphia, agreed.

"I think we should have lighter balls for every tournament that's good on any surface," she said.

"In Philadelphia, my arm was sore and I had trouble with my left wrist, which I haven't had in a while.

"A lot of this depends on the surface. If you have heavy balls on a slow surface, you have time to prepare.

"In Philadelphia, the surface was faster and a lot of times you aren't in a good position, so you have to use your arm and wrist more. That's why the pain might come."

Frenchwoman Mauresmo, however, is opposed to a change of equipment.

"They are not much different to what we played with before," she said.

"Maria complained in Philly when she pulled out of our match but I didn't notice a difference. I don't feel they are heavier."

Third ranked Anastasia Myskina added that since nothing could be done this week, the players needed to grit their teeth and forget about it.

"We just have to play and not complain about it," Myskina said. "I've had pain before and you get used to playing in pain."

Reuters - 10/11/2004
pavlyuchenkova

Dan23 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #51

heres an article from eurosport enjoy

Sharapova makes her mark

Playing her debut match at the WTA Championships, Maria Sharapova defeated U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova for the first time in a 6-1 6-4 victory on Thursday. The Wimbledon winner beat her Russian compatriot for the first time in her career at the Round Robin stage in Los Angeles.

Sharapova hit 23 winners in her first match at the Staples Center, home to the L.A. Lakers basketball team.

"I love it here. The atmosphere is great," said Sharapova afterwards. "To be here where the Lakers play, you just feel that excitement. I love basketball."

The 8,500 fee-paying spectators favoured the Siberian, who hit 69% of her first serves to record a first win over her compatriot in three career meetings.

Kuznetsova has previously trounced Sharapova 6-2, 6-2 in Beijing in September. But Thursday's match was a different proposition.

"In Beijing, she was coming off such a big winning streak [14 matches] and she was unstoppable," Sharapova said.

"This time, it was important to start off well and put some pressure on her."

Having won the opening game of the match, Kuznetsova found herself walking to her chair 23-minutes later on the receiving end of some powerful groundstrokes and one set down.

Tied 2-all in the second, Sharapova went on to break Kuznetsova three times and closed out the hour-long match with a backhand winner.

"I didn't serve well," Kuznetsova said. "She was returning pretty good, but I let her do this. She was putting pressure on me all the time."
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #52
country flag elbi

elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point elbi is an unknown quantity at this point
Sharapova lives up to expectations
Tennis teen queen defeats Kuznetsova

By Leighton Ginn
The Desert Sun
November 12th, 2004

LOS ANGELES--Although Maria Sharapova’s picture is in newspaper ads and billboards around Los Angeles, tennis’ teen queen said she usually could go shopping incognito.

That is, until she has to purchase something.

"They recognize me especially when I go shopping and give my credit card, then they go, ‘Oh, it is you,” Sharapova said. “Unfortunately, I give my credit card a lot because I’m a big shopper."

Unlike most 17-year-olds, Sharapova can afford to run up her credit card, as she’s become the new face in tennis.

With her model looks and a game that was good enough to win her a Wimbledon title this year, Sharapova is the face of tennis. Or at least that’s how the WTA has been promoting her.

On Thursday night, in her first match at the WTA Championships, Sharapova defeated U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-1, 6-4. Sharapova had never defeated Kuznetsova, losing to her in last year’s Wimbledon and this year in Beijing.

In the other matches Thursday, second-ranked Amelie Mauresmo defeated Russia’s Vera Zvonareva 6-1, 6-0.

In the late match, Serena Williams defeated Elena Dementieva 7-6(3), 7-5.

As far as her tennis is concerned, Sharapova was impressive in defeating Kuznetsova.

"She was coming off a big win streak and she was unstoppable," Sharapova said. "I thought she served better, especially with her second serve. She was hitting aces and sometimes that’s too good. This time, I wanted to get off to a better start to give myself a chance and put pressure on her."

Sharapova has had to deal with a level of fame she hadn’t expected, because she didn’t expect to win Wimbledon.

However, once she won, Sharapova said it was a gratifying moment, to know all her hard work had paid off.

"I never expected to win Wimbledon," Sharapova said. "When you are working on the court, I am not the kind of person that worries about results. I think the work will pay off in the end and it will speak for all your success. I think it is just important to understand that in order to achieve something big, you just have to give it all you have, so you never regret anything.

"I remember all those hard days. After I won Wimbledon, those days flash in your mind and you just think that is what happens when you work hard."

Sharapova had her fans during her match, including one who came down to the floor level with a rose.

At every match, some fans will yell things toward Sharapova. Asked if it bothered her, Sharapova said, "Depends how loud they are. I usually just try to focus on what is going on on the court and not what is happening around the stands. Obviously, it is very difficult when some fans are a little crazy.

"But one example is, if you are down and you hear people cheering for you wanting you go get back in the match, then of course, that is great. And you start to feel that energy."

Playing in the heart of the movie and entertainment capital of the world, Sharapova said she doesn’t have any plans of following in Serena Williams’ footsteps and attempt acting.

"I don’t think so, I haven’t done a lot of acting," Sharapova said. "I think it is great, once in a while to do something different. I am, you know, a renaissance woman. I love to try different things. I love fashion."

MASHA
elbi is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #53
country flag Anik

Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute
Sharapova Unlike Anyone Her Age

LOS ANGELES - After winning the WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche on Monday evening in Los Angeles, Maria Sharapova was asked by a reporter if it's possible for her to be a normal 17-year-old - considering her hectic lifestyle and schedule as one of the best players in women's tennis.
Sharapova concluded that she was no different from any other teen, regardless of her worldwide status as the future of the game.

But Sharapova is definitely unlike any other 17-year-old currently walking the face of this planet. She's a 17-year-old who just pocketed a check for $1 million dollars and donated a Porsche Cayenne to victims of the Beslan school hostage tragedy in Russia. That, in addition to spending a week in Los Angeles walking through a field of some of the game's finest players and reaffirming her status as tennis' phenom on the rise.

Sharapova's remarkable come-from-behind 46 62 64 victory against Serena Williams at the STAPLE Center capped off what has been a very impressive year for the Russian player, which included four titles in addition to her Grand Slam run at Wimbledon, 55 match wins and a giant victory at her first season-ending event.

"I don't think I could have asked for anything better this year," Sharapova said. "It has been an extraordinary year for me. And to finish it off just beating players that are the best in the world, I am really sort of speechless because I have had an amazing year. I have accomplished so much.

"I have been through ups and downs in my life. And to achieve so much at 17 years old, I don't think a lot of people still realize that I am still 17."

Sharapova did much more while in California than just win one of the sport's most prestigious events. She learned she can play with Amelie Mauresmo. She learned how to defeat Anastasia Myskina and Svetlana Kuznetsova for the first time. And she demonstrated once again that she can go toe-to-toe with Williams, something a majority of players are still trying to figure out.

Despite her continued rise to fame and climb in the rankings - she will finish the year at a career-best No.4 - Sharapova is quick to point out that she is just a teenager and still struggling to balance growing up with the overwhelming expectations with being a tennis star.

"It is a bit of a struggle," Sharapova said. "There are a lot of things that emotion-wise, expectation-wise that, even though I love expectation, I mean, I am still 17 years old. And I had to face a lot of it. I am just one girl in front of millions of people.

"And a lot of people are watching me, looking at me every second to what I am doing and wanting me to win and this and that. And I just had to realize it is not about winning and it is not about losing. But it is about doing what you can, learning from your mistakes, trying to get better and most importantly, working hard."

Seventeen years old, but well-beyond her years.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #54
country flag Anik

Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute
Sharapova Survives Odd Ending to Championships

Despite a 4-0 deficit in the final set, Maria Sharpova rallies to defeat Serena Williams and win WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche.

LOS ANGELES - For those watching the final set of singles tennis played at the WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche on Monday evening, the scoreline may have been a bit confusing.

Serena Williams, clearly hobbled by an abdominal injury that limited her serving ability, had somehow managed to take a 4-0 lead in the decisive set.

After losing the first set, Sharapova had crept back into the STAPLES Center by rattling off five straight games in the second to even the match at a set apiece, but all that effort seemed to be going to waste and the Russian teenager's chances looked to be trickling away.

Williams' lead seemed to baffle many in attendance, including Sharapova. Her normal 100-plus mph first serves had dwindled down in the 80s and some even in the 70s due to the pain she was feeling in her stomach.

But Williams still had one tool in her utility belt that was proving must useful - some punishing groundstrokes that limited Sharapova's ability to keep the ball in bounds.

"I think she figured that she can't really do anything from her serve," Sharapova said. "So she's got to hit everything as hard as she could. And that is exactly what she did. And there is not too much I could do. She was hitting the ball as hard as she could. And everything was going in."

After building a 3-0 lead, the American then used a pair of off-pace, but well-placed aces to help her grab a fourth straight game to start the decisive set, while Sharapova finally got on the board in the next game, but still trailed 4-1.

Sharapova then collected her first break of the final set to move within 4-2 and appeared to be slowly taking the momentum of the match back into her corner, holding serve once more for 4-3.

To Sharapova's advantage, Williams first serves then crept into the lower 70s and three double faults gave the Russian another break to even the set at 4-4. Sharapova followed by holding serve for her fifth straight game in the match, taking a 5-4 lead. Williams was then unable to capitalize on her final service attempt as Sharapova dropped to her knees following the final point of the match.

In her first trip to the Championships, Sharapova had walked away with the title. She had overcome a large hole in the final set to defeat a former world No.1 to claim one of the sport's top prizes.

4-6, 6-2, 6-4.

"I don't think I could have asked for anything better this year," Sharapova said. "And to finish it off just beating players that are the best in the world, I am really sort of speechless because I have had an amazing year. I have accomplished so much."

After the match, Williams said she felt a pain in her stomach during the first game of the match. As the match progressed - and especially after dropping the second set - Williams said she knew she had to put everything she had left into her shots.

"I just started hitting every ball as hard as I could," Williams said. "And I think I lived off of her mistakes. Once she stopped making them, she was able to come back and win the match. I don't know how I was able to stay out there."

Sharapova's victory was just the second time in 34 matches this year that a player has defeated Williams after losing the first set. The match was the first time the two players had met since Sharapova's stunning 61 64 victory against Williams in the Wimbledon final.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #55
country flag Anik

Sharapova Wins WTA Tour Championships

LOS ANGELES - Maria Sharapova added another chapter to her short, but already storied career on Monday - overcoming a 4-0 deficit in the decisive set to win the WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche.

The Russian teen won six consecutive games in a thrilling final set to defeat Serena Williams, 46 62 64. For her efforts, Sharapova collects 1 million dollars as winner of the championships, along with a brand new Porsche Cayenne.

"I don't think I could have asked for anything better this year," Sharapova said. "And to finish it off just beating players that are the best in the world, I am really sort of speechless because I have had an amazing year. I have accomplished so much."

During the on-court ceremony where Sharapova received her million dollar check and a large Porsche key, Sharapova announced she would be donating the vehicle to the victims of September's school hostage tragedy in Beslan, Russia.

The victory also lifts Sharapova to a career-best No.4 in the world - a remarkable rise after finishing last year ranked No.32.

"It just shows that I have come a long way in a short period of time," Sharapova said. "It is just really unbelievable."

The match opened with some tremendous serving performances by both players. Sharapova began the match by holding serve and each player continued the trend until 4-4 when Williams picked up the first break of the match when Sharapova double faulted on break point. Williams then served out the first set for 6-4.

After beginning the second set at 1-1, Williams held a pair of break points on Sharapova's second service attempt of the match, but the Russian was able to use a cross-court forehand to get the game back to deuce.

But Williams used an exception cross-court forehand return to give her another break point opportunity and once again, Sharapova double faulted on break point to hand Williams a 2-1 lead.

However, Williams lead didn't last long as Sharapova got back on serve with her first break of the match on the following service game to keep things even at 2-2.

After holding serve for 3-2, Sharapova records her second straight break on Williams serve for 4-2. She then survived a break point chance on her next serve to extend her lead in the set, 5-2.

Williams then called for the trainer to take a look at an abdominal strain she suffered during the match. After briefly leaving the court, Williams returned but the injury clearly was affecting her service game and Sharapova quickly closed out the set at 6-2.

Before leaving the court to get looked at, Williams' serves were clearly hitting above 100 mph, including a fault that was blasted at 129 mph. But after her return to the court, Williams serves were coming over in the high 70s and lower 80s, which Sharapova was quick to return and win the set.

With the injury limiting Williams' motion on her serve, the American took advantage of her opponent's service game, breaking Sharapova at love to begin the third set. And though the pace came off her serve, Williams was able to use a string of winners to hold serve for 2-0.

After the match, Williams said she felt a pain in her stomach during the first game of the match. As the match progressed - and especially after dropping the second set - Williams said she knew she had to put everything she had left into her shots.

"I just started hitting every ball as hard as I could," Williams said. "And I think I lived off of her mistakes. Once she stopped making them, she was able to come back and win the match. I don't know how I was able to stay out there."

Williams continued to rely on her groundstrokes during Sharapova's next serve - again breaking the teenager for a 3-0 lead. Williams had won 12 of the first 13 points of the third set en route to picking up two breaks of serve.

The American then used a pair of aces to help her grab a fourth straight game to start the decisive set, while Sharapova finally got on the board in the next game, but still trailed 4-1.

"I think she figured that she can't really do anything from her serve," Sharapova said. "So she's got to hit everything as hard as she could. And that is exactly what she did. And there is not too much I could do. She was hitting the ball as hard as she could. And everything was going in."

Sharapova then collected her first break of the final set to move within 4-2 and appeared to be slowly taking the momentum of the match back into her corner, holding serve once more for 4-3.

To Sharapova's advantage, Williams first serves then crept into the lower 70s and three double faults gave the Russian another break to even the set at 4-4. Sharapova followed by holding serve for her fifth straight game in the match, taking a 5-4 lead. Williams was then unable to capitalize on her final service attempt as Sharapova dropped to her knees following the final point of the match.

Sharapova's victory was just the second time in 34 matches this year that a player has defeated Williams after losing the first set. The match was the first time the two players have met since Sharapova's stunning 61 64 victory against Williams in the Wimbledon final.

The 17-year-old finishes the season with a 55-15 record to go along with the five titles she won during the year. In addition to the Championships and her extraordinary run at Wimbledon, Sharapova collected titles at Birmingham, Seoul and Tokyo [Japan Open].

Despite not winning a Grand Slam title during the season for the first time since 2001 and still struggling at times with the knee she had surgically repaired in August of 2003, Williams still finished the year with a 39-9 record and two titles (Miami, Beijing). She will finish 2004 ranked No.7, her lowest ranking since finishing No.20 in 1998.

"I had definitely an up and down year I guess," Williams said. "My Serena year wasn't superb. But I think over all, it has been a really tough year for me in general. So I just try to stay positive."
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #56
country flag Anik

for french ppl

Sharapova triomphe à L.A.

Mardi 16 novembre 2004 - LOS ANGELES (AFP) - La Russe Maria Sharapova a remporté le Masters de la WTA, ultime épreuve de la saison dotée d'une bourse de trois millions de dollars, en battant en finale l'Américaine Serena Williams, diminuée par une blessure abdominale, 4-6, 6-2 et 6-4 lundi, à Los Angeles.

Comme lors de la finale de Wimbledon cet été, la jeune Russe de 17 ans a dominé la cadette des soeurs Williams pour succéder au palmarès du Masters à la Belge Kim Clijsters et terminer l'année au quatrième rang mondial.

Williams, souffrant d'une blessure abdominale à partir de la fin de la seconde manche, est toutefois parvenue à mener 4 à 0 dans le set décisif avant que Sharapova ne reprenne le contrôle du jeu et ne remporte six jeux de suite pour s'assurer le premier prix d'un million de dollars.

"J'en suis encore toute tremblante, je ne peux pas y croire" a déclaré la lauréate, qui s'est agenouillée sur le court, après un retour de service gagnant en coup droit, au terme de 1 heure et 46 minutes de jeu.

Sharapova a expliqué qu'elle s'était sentie impuissante dans le premier set où une double faute sur un point décisif a donné l'avantage à Williams dans le neuvième jeu.

Dans la deuxième manche, une nouvelle double faute de Sharapova sur un point décisif a permis à Williams de mener 2-1, mais la Russe prit ensuite le service de son adversaire et l'avantage à 4-2. À 5-2, Williams, qui ne semblait pas au mieux, a appelé son entraîneur et s'est fait soigner.

"En fait, dès le premier jeu j'ai ressenti une douleur à l'estomac mais je pensais que c'était juste un point de côté. Une fois dans le jeu, ça allait mieux". Mais la douleur s'est accentuée par la suite et l'Américaine a craint d'aggraver sa blessure, pensant à son aînée, Venus, blessée aux abdominaux en avril 2003 puis victime d'une déchirure musculaire l'écartant des courts pour six mois.

"Je pensais que j'allais être out six mois, je ne veux pas. Cela n'en vaut pas la peine alors qu'une nouvelle saison se profile", a expliqué Williams, revenue cette année sur le circuit après huit mois d'interruption pour une blessure au genou droit. Williams a alors pensé abandonner ou lever le pied mais cela lui a semblé "trop compliqué". Sharapova lui a pris son service au huitième jeu emportant le deuxième set.

Dans la troisième manche, l'Américaine de 23 ans, qui termine l'année au septième rang mondial, ravit deux fois la mise en jeu de son adversaire pour mener 4-0. Mais, ses coups étaient de plus en plus faibles. "Je frappais les balles du mieux que je le pouvais, pensant m'en sortir sur ses fautes. Mais, comme elle a cessé d'en faire, elle est revenue dans le match", a expliqué l'Américaine.

En remportant son cinquième tournoi de l'année, Sharapova est passé du 32e rang mondial, fin 2003, au 4e. "Un joli saut", a commenté la Russe qui rejoint les soeurs Williams dans l'histoire en remportant le Masters dès sa première participation.

Outre son prix d'un million de dollars, Sharapova a gagné une Porsche d'une valeur de 56 300 $ dont elle a fait don aux 344 victimes tuées lors d'une prise d'otages à l'école de Beslan, dans le Caucase russe, en septembre dernier.

La saison extraordinaire de Sharapova

Mardi 16 novembre 2004 - LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Sa victoire en finale du Masters féminin tennis a mis un éblouissant point final à l'extraordinaire saison de la Russe Maria Sharapova, lundi, à Los Angeles (Californie).

Au mois de janvier, elle n'était encore qu'une joueuse russe parmi tant d'autres. Agée de 16 ans (elle est née le 19 avril 1987), elle était classée 31e mondiale et sa blonde beauté rappelait celle de sa compatriote Anna Kournikova.

Un peu plus de dix mois plus tard, la voici parvenue au quatrième rang mondial. Avec à son palmarès - alors que celui de Kournikova est resté définitivement vierge - deux coups d'éclat: Wimbledon et le Masters. "Cela a été une année stupéfiante et je ne vois pas ce qui aurait pu m'arriver de mieux", s'est-elle réjouie après le second.

Battue par la Française Amélie Mauresmo en match de poule, elle venait de triompher de l'Américaine Serena Williams en finale du Masters. C'était la deuxième fois, après... Serena en 2001, qu'une débutante s'imposait dans cette compétition prestigieuse.

"Contre Amélie, j'étais morte. Je me sentais totalement incapable d'aller plus loin. Mais finalement, j'ai trouvé en moi la force nécessaire", a-t-elle raconté, stupéfaite de l'avoir emporté alors qu'elle n'était que la sixième qualifiée.

Objet de curiosité

Au début du mois de juillet, elle avait déjà battu Serena Williams en finale du tournoi de Wimbledon. Un véritable exploit dans la mesure où l'Américaine, victorieuse en 2002 et 2003 avait défendu son titre avec acharnement. Toute l'Angleterre était alors tombée sous le charme de la jeune Russe.

Cette victoire sensationnelle et tout ce qu'elle entraîna aurait pu l'anéantir. Il n'en fut rien, la demoiselle ayant la tête aussi solide qu'elle est bien faite.

"Ce fut une période difficile, car j'étais devenue un objet de curiosité et tout le monde voulait me voir gagner. Mais elle m'a beaucoup appris au sujet de moi-même et c'est comme ça que je suis parvenue à me maintenir parmi les meilleures", se souvient-elle.

Parmi des hauts et des bas, elle fut notamment finaliste à Philadelphie et à Zurich, et gagnante à Séoul et à Tokyo, après Wimbledon. Inévitablement, on en fera une future N.1 mondiale la saison prochaine.

"Cela demande énormément de travail, mais j'y suis préparée", a-t-elle prévenu. Pour l'heure, elle ne songe qu'à se reposer. "J'ai mérité de grandes vacances", s'est-elle exclamé au terme de sa trajectoire fulgurante.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #57
country flag Arhivarius

Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of
The article about Masha with some original and nice pics here.
http://www.kp.ru/daily/23406/34167/
Arhivarius is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:37 AM   #58

Maria out of this world
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...154&sec=sports
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 06:40 AM   #59
country flag Arhivarius

Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of Arhivarius has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakan kildap
Maria out of this world
Just envy. Nothing else. It's understandable.
Arhivarius is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:11 AM   #60
country flag Edward.

Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute
Calling Bartoli a rival is taking it a bit too far.

Official Wiseguy of the Maria Mafia.
1305 ..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Edward. is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread