** Masha News and Articles! ** - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:21 AM   #31
country flag lakan kildap

lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold
The tennis racket

this one only touches Maria briefly, but some of you guys might be interested in the rackets pro players actually use:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=1872892
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:08 AM   #32
country flag Dan23

Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for that mate, very interesting
The bit about Maria:
Quote:
"In the inner circle, a lot of us just laugh about it," said Ludwig, who has handled some of Maria Sharapova's rackets. They were Prince's Triple Threat Hornet models, he says, painted to look like the company's More Attack rackets.

Linda Glassel, vice president of sports marketing for Prince, said Sharapova has used its More Attack model and, since capturing her title at Wimbledon, she has switched to the Shark -- a Sharapova-endorsed racket that went on sale on Wednesday. After her first-round victory on Tuesday, Sharapova announced that she is now using the Shark.

Stringers, though, are skeptical that this could be another paint job.
pavlyuchenkova

Dan23 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:52 PM   #33
country flag Andy Mac

Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future
nice article lakan!

If you've been unfairly badrepped go here: http://www2.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=153890&page=1

CHARLOTTE PETRICK

remember that name!

0001..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl

Member of Marias Mafia, known to many as scarface
Andy Mac is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #34
country flag Dan23

Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute
An interesting article by Nick Bollettieri:
Quote:
Nick Bollettieri: Father must take step back to let Sharapova bloom
06 September 2004

Maria Sharapova's father, Yuri, has done a fantastic job in helping his daughter make the most of her incredible talents, but after Saturday's defeat to Mary Pierce I believe he could do worse than take a step back to help her move on.

Let's not take anything away from Mary's win, which earned her a fourth-round match against Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Mary put so much pressure on Maria that the 17-year-old double-faulted 14 times and ultimately couldn't handle a barrage of devastating double-handed backhands.

But go back and look at the video of the match again. If you see Maria looking at the coaches' area once, you'll see her doing it 50 times. And the person she was looking for - Yuri.

At the best of times you don't want a player to be looking to their coach during a match. There's nothing a coach can do at that stage. And what you really don't want is a player looking to a coach who's also their father - and all that entails - at that stage. That's a serious combination, and not necessarily one that's the ideal way forward for a 17-year-old who won her first Grand Slam at Wimbledon and is looking for a steady way upwards.

I can draw a comparison between Maria at this time and Mary Pierce in 1995, when I was coaching her at the Australian Open. Mary made the final and after the semi I had to leave to go back to America.

"How can you leave me now, Nick, right before the final?" she asked me. "Because I know now that you don't need me to win it," I told her. She won it without me in the coaches' box, as I knew she could and as players who really want to achieve things should. Good coaching and support systems: fine. Umbilical cords that can just as easily strangle as nurture: no way.

I also remember around the same time when Mary kept on looking at me in the coaches' box during a match. It got to the stage where I had to say: "Mary, you look at me once more and I'm walking out." At vital times, and that includes matches, the player needs to be in control of their own mind and their own game.

Yuri has done a wonderful job for Maria. Now he might ask what he needs to do - or not - to continue doing a wonderful job. Maria has a tough climb ahead of her, one that she has the mental and physical capabilities of completing. But coping with pressures of all kinds is something she will have to get past first.

Coping with an injury is something Tim Henman did well against Michal Tabara. If Tim is healthy, I also see him beating Nicolas Kiefer, who will play a baseline game. Tim's offensive first volleys could be key in what I think will be a four-set win - or a five-set struggle that would favour the German the longer it lasted.
pavlyuchenkova

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #35
country flag Bigboi

Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road Bigboi is on a distinguished road
I wonder if he mentioned that point to yuri before telling the public, if he didn't it could break down his relationship with the Sharapov/a's,
aren't they quite protective of each other, and don't like to receive criticism of that kind, especially from maria's former coach
Bigboi is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #36
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
But he has a point, But I don't agree on the double fault one, she just hit it to hard, that has nothing to do with Mary.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #37
country flag Andy Mac

Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future Andy Mac has a brilliant future
i think she was jsut (liek she said) tryin too hard at the wrong times....tryin to show mary her killer serve when really it wasnt needed then!

If you've been unfairly badrepped go here: http://www2.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=153890&page=1

CHARLOTTE PETRICK

remember that name!

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #38
country flag Dan23

A new article
Quote:
Success smells sweet for Sharapova
Mon Oct 18, 5:01 PM ET Entertainment - AFP

ZURICH (AFP) - Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova is to follow in the footsteps of Andre Agassi and Gabriela Sabatini and launch a perfume in her name.

"I'll have my perfume next year, and I'm excited because it is so different to what I've done in the past," said the 17-year old in Zurich where she is competing in a 1.3 million-dollar WTA event. "It's going to be my own design and something I love to smell.

"The company that I'm working with, we always keep in touch by e-mail because I travel so much. You tell them the smells you like, if you want it to be sweet, things like that. And then the bottle, the colours, the shape. It's a very interesting process. I haven't had a sniffing test' yet, but I will."

Sharapova is seeded four in a field weakened by the withdrawal of Lindsay Davenport and Serena Williams. Second seeded Davenport became a no-show after developing a cold, and fifth seed Williams pulled out with a continuing knee injury.

Sharapova will play Daniela Hantuchova in the second round, after the Slovak dismissed Russia's Vera Douchevina 6-1, 6-4.
Meanwhile, Sharapova is having to combine the glamour of the tennis circuit with finishing her education. After competing on court, she has to return to her hotel room and take out her books.

"I've done it for a while now so I'm quite used to it," she said. "In the hotel room I have a lot of time. It takes some self-discipline, but I've been home-schooled nearly all my life and I'm really used to telling myself, Now you're going to sit down and do your homework'.

"There are a few times when you are lazy and don't want to do anything, and I get a lot of those times. But when I'm home I have my mum and she's the one that gets on to me with the school work. So when I'm back home I have to make sure everything's on time and I don't get punished."
Full article here!

She hasnt had a sniffing test..hehe
pavlyuchenkova

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #39
country flag Andy Mac

ncie one daniel!

CHARLOTTE PETRICK

remember that name!

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:15 AM   #40
country flag Dan23

Quote:
Superstar Sharapova soars into Advanta
Saturday, October 30, 2004

Wimbledon champ brings game to area
By CHUCK GORMLEY
Courier-Post Staff
PHILADELPHIA

In a sense, Maria Sharapova represents everything that Billie Jean King has fought so hard for over the past 30 years.

At 17, she quickly has become the face of women's tennis, replacing Venus and Serena Williams as the most popular draw on the Women's Tennis Association tour, which makes a weeklong stop in Villanova, Pa., next week for the $585,000 Advanta Championships.

Sharapova is young and beautiful, but as she showed by becoming the first Russian to win Wimbledon this year, she also is extremely talented. And because of that she is beginning to distance herself from comparisons to Russian heartthrob Anna Kournikova.

"She's just ignited women's tennis this year," King said Friday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, where the draw for next week's tournament was made. "She's by far the biggest ticket-seller we have in the game. She's got the `it' factor. People love watching her and boy can she hit the ball hard. She's highly intense."

A year ago, Sharapova could have slid in and out of Villanova's Pavilion unnoticed. But, since winning Wimbledon, she has become tennis' hottest attraction. Unlike Kournikova, who never won a major tournament, Sharapova is looking for her fifth WTA victory of 2004.

She is ranked seventh in the world and is fifth in earnings this year at more than $1.4 million. She already has signed endorsement deals with Nike, NEC and Prince, and early next year she will begin marketing her own line of perfume.

In many ways, King is happy for Sharapova and what she has done for women's tennis. Since King founded the WTA in 1971, annual prize money has soared from $350,000 to more than $60 million.

What concerns King most is the exploitation of Sharapova. She would like her to be recognized as a wonderful tennis player who happens to be beautiful, instead of a supermodel who happens to play tennis.

"I would like men to talk about our accomplishments the way they talk about male athletes' accomplishments," said King, who is just as famous for beating Bobby Riggs in 1973 as for being a 20-time Wimbledon champion.

"That's what's really important to us, because we put in the time and effort just like any (male) athlete," she said. "When I played Bobby Riggs, (former ABC television commentator) Howard Cosell did not say one thing about my accomplishments. He said if I cut my hair and got rid of my glasses I could be a movie star in Hollywood.

"Now that is sick. Look how he talked about me as a woman."

King, 60, wants Sharapova to be given the respect she fought so hard to attain after that historic win over Riggs. She wants Sharapova to be appreciated for her booming serve and strong groundstrokes, not as a Kournikova look-alike who chases endorsements harder than she chases opponents' drop shots.

It is hard to ignore, however, that Kournikova's popularity helped fuel the recent surge in Russian tennis. Four of the top seven women in the WTA rankings are from Russia. King believes Kournikova, who is now retired, is the reason.

"They saw her have an unbelievable life," King said. "She really started this revolution with the Russian women."

In addition to Sharapova, Anastasia Myskina, Vera Zvonareva and Nadia Petrova - all among the top 14 money earners on the WTA - will be competing in the Advanta Championships. Why the surge of Russian dominance?

"They do so well because they have it rough where they live compared to us," King said. "These kids are brought up in environments that are very disciplined and they understand that it's such a privilege to play in this country."

"They understand the opportunity to have an unbelievable life and the freedom to speak and do whatever you want," King added.

For Sharapova, that means playing tennis - and lots of it. Next week will mark her 20th tournament of the year. And at the age of 17, King believes that is simply too much.

"I've already talked to her about it," King said. "I'm worried she's playing too much. I'm concerned already. She loves to play tennis and I never want the passion to be taken away from her. I want her to think about her schedule, not just think about the dollars. Most players think so much about money now that they make bad decisions for longevity."

Serves and volleys: The most interesting draw for next week's tournament is an opening-round match next Tuesday night between Venus Williams and Lisa Raymond, a native of Wayne, Pa. Williams is ranked 10th in the world, Raymond 27th. . . . Sharapova earned a first-round bye and her first match will be Wednesday. Defending champion Amelie Mauresmo of France also earned a first-round bye. . . . Serena Williams, ranked ninth in the world, pulled out of the tournament "due to illness."
I hope Maria (and her management..) might listen to some of that advice and make an effort to ease the workload on her so in the future she can avoid injury problems or being burnt out too soon
pavlyuchenkova

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:24 AM   #41
country flag lakan kildap

lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold
Maria to endorse Canon.

http://www.mariaworld.net/art81104.htm

I'm switching brands beginning today.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #42
country flag Dan23

Another one.....IMG have been busy
pavlyuchenkova

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #43
country flag Princess Sarah.

Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute
they really shouldn't sign her up to too much... i guess they r just milking her for all she's worth
Princess Sarah. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:52 AM   #44
country flag Dan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocc0
they really shouldn't sign her up to too much... i guess they r just milking her for all she's worth
That seems to be exactly what they're doing...
pavlyuchenkova

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #45
country flag Princess Sarah.

Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute Princess Sarah. has a reputation beyond repute
well it will be really bad if she becomes a sell out.... but at least she'll be a sell out with a grand slam
Princess Sarah. is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread