** Masha News and Articles! ** - Page 105 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #1561
country flag Nina.

Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat123 View Post
Is that Nike's fault??
I think she wore that patch when she won the Championships in 2004 - you can see that on a video on youtube...
So either nike has changed it's rules or it was Maria's decision for whatever reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #1562
country flag Sharapower8

Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future

Again with this story :

Sharapova reaches compromise with WTA over photo shoot

ROME (AP)—Maria Sharapova reached a compromise with the WTA Tour and completed a promotional photo shoot before the Italian Open began Monday.

The second-ranked Russian was opposed to the shoot because she does not like distractions before tournaments, and claimed the WTA threatened to fine her more than $300,000 if she refused.

Sunday’s photo shoot to build publicity for the tour championships was reduced to 90 minutes from several hours, Sharapova said.

“I was riding around in a car for an hour talking—pretending like I’m talking on the phone,” Sharapova said. “The timing compromise was still pretty difficult since it’s before a very big event for all of us. Considering the time reduction, it definitely makes that a lot easier than going into a four- or five-hour shoot with hair and makeup, which adds another hour.”

Sharapova launched her protest on her Web site two weeks ago, and asked for fans’ opinions.

“I’ve obviously made my point,” she said. “I wanted to let my fans know that I didn’t feel like people were listening to me. I think it’s in the best interest of the tour.”

After a first-round bye, Sharapova will play either Dominika Cibulkova or Gisela Dulko at the clay-court warmup for the French Open.

“When I set foot in Rome, my priority is to play tennis,” Sharapova said. “I already did the talking, and now it’s time to play tennis.”

Sharapova is playing her first tournament in Europe this year. She won a clay-court event in Amelia Island last month, then lost to Serena Williams in the quarterfinals in Charleston a week later.

In August, Sharapova plans to play at the Olympics for the first time.

“I’m absolutely thrilled,” Sharapova said of the Beijing Games. “It’s been a dream of mine since I was a very young girl, from watching it in the middle of the night on TV, and waking up and watching the opening ceremony, to following all the athletes and waiting until Russia would walk out.

“It’s quite hard to believe that sometimes your dreams can turn to reality. In a few months they will, so that’s quite exciting.”

Sharapova also wants to play for Russia in the Fed Cup final against Spain in September.

“If I’m healthy, I’m definitely going to be playing,” she said.

Sharapova won two matches to help Russia beat Israel in the quarterfinals in February, but was left off the team that beat the United States in the semifinals.

Sharapova.Vaidisova.Vesnina.Bondarenko.
Wozniacki.Kirilenko.Goerges.Petkovic. Azarenka

Sharapower8 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1563
country flag Natasc

Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute

Excelent interview!!
and I disagree with a question there
I believe that through her randoom thoughts that she shares with us by the doodle she makes us know herself better
sometimes, I believe, more than she would like.

now this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taja05 View Post
Q. A lot of girls young girls not like you that are already a woman
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm still young.

Q. When they're looking for a man
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Oh, goodness. You Italians. Only in Italy.

Q. They look for father. It's the same for yourself?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: To meet a husband? You mean a husband?

Q. You are looking for someone who looks like your father, or no?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Wait, hold on. This question turned into something completely different here. Can you ask the question again so I can understand it?

Q. A lot of girls, when they're looking for a husband, they're looking for someone that looks like a father.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Since when?

Q. Since always. I mean, it's always been like that.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think no, I certainly don't look. No, no. The harder you try the less it's going to come. So, yeah, that's my philosophy on it, you know.
What The Hell of questions are those?!
Natasc is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #1564
country flag Emina.

Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ROME (AP)—Maria Sharapova reached a compromise with the WTA Tour and completed a promotional photo shoot before the Italian Open began Monday.
good. she can focus on her tennis now.
Emina. is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1565
country flag Nina.

Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasc View Post
What The Hell of questions are those?!
Maybe they didn't mean "look". Maybe it is more like girls who admire/ love their dad very much are trying to find a boyfriend/ husband who reminds them of their dad. Not really in looks but in their personality...
Well, that would at least make some sense, I think!

Last edited by Nina. : May 12th, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
Nina. is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1566
country flag Natasc

Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyna View Post
Maybe they didn't mean "look". Maybe it is more like girls who admire/ love their dad very much are trying to find a boyfriend/ husband who reminds them of their dad. Not really in looks but in their personality...
Well, that would at least make some sense, I think!
yeah, "some", but that's not the kind os question that you ask on a interview of a tournament!!
but it's a very "italian style question"... oh italians!!
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #1567
country flag mal

mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold

Well I can't support any hypocrite's view that a professional athlete should be able to take part in an amateur competition, so this is where she and I part company permanently.

The Olympic movement was built on principles of fair competition, and to compare what a professional soldier or athlete does to what an amateur is expected to do just does not bear any comparison. So much for promises to God.
mal is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #1568
country flag Cat123

Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of

I found this in a BBC article about Henin's retirement:

Quote:
Maria Sharapova, ranked second behind Henin and poised to take over the top spot, said: "She's 25 years old and she's achieved so much in her career.

"If I was 25 and I'd won so many Grand Slams, I'd quit too. Without being the strongest or the biggest, she's won so much.

"She's an inspiration. There's so many things to life and I'm sure she wants to explore them. I definitely don't blame her for retiring."
Does anyone know where I can find the full thing? I assume it's from her post match presser yesterday...
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #1569
country flag Natasc

Quote:
I found this in a BBC article about Henin's retirement:

Does anyone know where I can find the full thing? I assume it's from her post match presser yesterday...
well I guss that today they put on the site...
hope so!
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #1570
country flag Cat123

Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of

Where on the site are the interviews posted? I'm probably being blind, but I just can't find them.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #1571
country flag Taja05

Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light

I found this article on the RG official site

Maria ready to conquer the final frontier
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
By Thibaut Fraix-Burnet

Good news – the cow has learnt how to skate! While this may seem to be a somewhat harsh assessment of the situation, we are sure that Maria Sharapova will forgive us. After all, it was the leggy Russian herself who said that she felt like a "cow on ice" when it came to playing on clay. This would appear to be a little harsh, since while she may not be able to slide around a sandy court with the best of them, Sharapova has had some success on this, her least favourite surface, and even reached the semi-finals at Roland Garros last year. Moreover, her incredible technical ability and mental strength have already won her trophies the world over on all surfaces.

The Russian's all-round play on clay is not the issue here. While it is true that her height (1.88m) and strength are less of an advantage than they are on hard courts, the plain fact of the matter is that she hardly ever plays on the surface. Throughout the 2006 and 2007 seasons, she had the grand total of 13 matches on clay, 10 of them at the French Open, though this was chiefly due to injuries (to her ankle in 2006 and her right shoulder in 2007). The less she played, the more she seemed to dislike the surface and it began to seem as if the clay-court season was a once-a-year necessary evil to be dealt with as quickly as possible.

In 2008 however, Maria seems to have had a change of heart. After getting off to a faultless start to the season, winning the Australian Open (without dropping so much as a set) and in Doha, the current world No. 3 has decided to give it her best shot at the French this year. Perhaps it was her success in Melbourne which has made view the challenge more seriously, since Roland Garros is now the only Grand Slam missing in her trophy cabinet after winning Wimbledon in 2004 and the US Open in 2006.

The statuesque Siberian kicked off the clay-court season as early as possible by entering the Amelia Island tournament. After Lindsay Davenport pulled out of their semi-final clash, Sharapova then beat Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova 7-6, 6-3 to win her first ever title on the sport's slowest surface. "This first tournament was exactly what I needed in terms of preparation" the former world No.1 explained. "I had real difficulties in my half of the draw and that reminded me that clay is a surface where you can't take anything for granted. I've never started to prepare for Paris this early and I hope that it will pay off."

While she fell in the quarter-finals at Charleston after a titanic struggle against eventual winner Serena Williams, Sharapova is now convinced of her abilities on clay and is aiming to hit the heights at the French. "Roland Garros is my biggest challenge," she says, and her future opponents would do well to take note – they are the ones who will be skating on thin ice this year …

The cow has learnt how to skate
Taja05 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1572
country flag Megan1224
Registered 1

Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Where on the site are the interviews posted? I'm probably being blind, but I just can't find them.
Here ya go:

May 14, 2008
Maria Sharapova

ROME, ITALY

M. SHARAPOVA/D. Cibulkova
6-2, 3-6, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Were you annoyed about the fact you have to play on night with the wetness, slow court?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I played so many night matches in my career that it doesn't bother me. I like playing night matches.
This is probably one of the later starts, because usually they start around 7:00. But that's just the way it is.

Q. (From Italian) First of all, we're very happy that you won here in Rome, because it's important for tennis that you win tonight. It's important for tennis.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thanks.

Q. Secondly, try and put yourself in Justine Henin's shoes and tell us why you might not like tennis and decide to retire from tennis.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't think she's retiring from tennis because she doesn't like tennis. She's 25 years old and has achieved so much in her career and has had incredible success on the court.
If I'm 25 and I won I don't know how many Grand Slams she's won, seven or something, I'd call it quits as well.
You know, I wouldn't be disappointed leaving the sport, because obviously there's a lot more to life than tennis. She's had a very long career, and you never know, maybe one day she'll be back.
She's done incredible things for the sport. She's shown that without being the strongest or the tallest girl on the tour she's been able to win so many matches in so many tournaments and Grand Slams. She's an inspiration to many young girls coming up.
Like I said, there are so many things in life, and I'm sure she wants to explore them as well. I definitely don't blame her for retiring.

Q. What's it going to feel like next week, no matter what happens at this point, should you take over the No. 1 ranking? I mean, will it be a kind of a strange feeling with the fact that she's retired and you kind of inherited this?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: To be honest, ranking has never really been a big deal for me. Whether I'm No. 1 or 5, my main goal is just to keep winning tennis matches. The ranking will take care of itself if I keep winning matches. Yeah.

Q. Once you said that you didn't see yourself still playing at 30 years old or so.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't.

Q. So that means you understand very well what Justine has done and you could do it also?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Absolutely, yeah. I think -- like I said, I just, I mean, you're 25 years old, and tennis starts at a very young age. You're basically committing every day of your life to tennis.
No matter what days you have off or how long you have off, you're always thinking but consequences to what you're doing and how that's going to affect your training and performance.
It's tough to be able to do what we do day in and day out. There's only a certain amount of time. Everybody is different and everybody can withstand it as much as they can.
But I totally understand where she's coming from. Like I said, I don't think she has anything to regret. She's had a great career. If I were in her shoes, I would probably do the same thing.

Q. (From Italian) First of all, I'm sorry about what I witnessed on the court today. This happens in Nadal's matches a lot as well. The crowd sometimes cheers for your opponent even though it's an unknown player, perhaps because of envy or jealousy or perhaps because you seem unapproachable. What do you think about this? Does it affect you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Certainly doesn't affect me, and it's part of the sport. I completely understand if a crowd cheers for the underdog, somebody that's playing somebody that's No. 2 in the world and taking them to the third set.
The crowd want a good match and the crowd wants good tennis. They don't want to come and see a 40-minute match. They don't pay money for that. They want entertainment and the drama, the more the better for them. I completely understand.
Although I'm young, I've been in numerous amounts of matches where I've played against underdogs, and when I was coming up I was the underdog. Obviously that has changed a little bit because, you know, the rankings and the things that I've won.
It's all right. I mean, it doesn't -- when I'm on the court I do my own thing. I worry about my own side of the net, and that's pretty much it.

Q. Why do you have so many problems to keep your game service tonight?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: One is that the conditions are obviously a lot heavier than I've been playing in the last couple of months.
You know, it's not as easy to hold serve, especially against somebody that's -- that gets a lot of balls back and makes you hit a lot balls. In your mind you got to change the process a little bit, and I think that's what I did wrong.
Kind of went for too much at the wrong times. Especially after long rallies it's sometimes a little more important to be a little smarter. Definitely classed me a few times today.
At the end the day, if I know my errors and I know what I did wrong, the most important thing is to go into the next match and improve that hopefully. I'm just glad I can go out and have another match.

Q. Is your wrist a problem? I saw you that you were touching yourself.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I just think the balls are heavy and my arm was a little bit kind of heavy. It's not normal to wake up being an athlete and feel fine, so I'm okay with it.

End of FastScripts
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=49433
Megan1224 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #1573
country flag Cat123

Thankyou Megan

I always enjoy reading her interviews She's always honest and humble and what she said about Henin was lovely.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #1574
country flag Natasc

Maria Sharapova after her win over Wozniaki in post match press conference

Q. There are so many ways to find out the form. This is one of the ways, just to start a little bit slowly and then to find out, or you have some problems with your forehand or something?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. I actually started good. Just in the middle of the match I had a little letdown. Actually not a little, quite big. You know, kind of a similar story to yesterday. I was just lucky to win that second set.
But taking away what she was doing on her side of net, from my point of view I thought there were just a lot of physical roller coaster rides. I'd put two or three good points together and then the level sort of dropped. But it's all right.
You know, good thing is I got a win and, you know, I can play another match tomorrow.

Q. (From Italian) You're a public figure and everybody loves you. You have lots of fans. Your public wants to know if in your life you have room for your private life as well, perhaps a boyfriend, or whether you usually prefer to keep this a secret and private?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Even though I have a tough life and I travel around the world, when I'm home I try to when I get home everything changes and my life becomes very homely. I love to be around the house and I love to be around close people in my family, especially my mom that I barely see. And my friends as well.
It's very difficult. You know, it's one of the things that you sometimes miss when you're on the road for seven to eight weeks in a row. But those are some the sacrifices you make as a professional tennis player, and that's just part of the game, I guess. But I'll have a lot of time to enjoy when I'm retired, so...

Q. When you play someone like Wozniacki, can you remember when you were 17 and which sort of feeling do you have? I don't think you can feel old, but in some way do you feel old?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Do I? Well, when I play against girls that are younger than I am, because usually, you know, a little while ago seems like it was yesterday I was the young one. Now 50% of the girls I play against are already younger than I am. You know, it's actually great to see a newer generation that are coming up and, I guess, making tennis exciting. They're challenging the top players and trying to find their own ways and paths to the top. Obviously everybody has different directions and different games. You know she's a good young player, and, you know, it's always tough coming into a match where, you know, your opponent has not much to lose.
You know, they want that experience, and they're going to go out there and, you know, going to try to play their best tennis. Because if they lose, they don't feel like they lost much because they weren't expected to win, so...

Q. Looking ahead to the French Open, what do you expect from the Williams sisters? I always find that a little tough to judge where they're at. What are your thoughts?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, you can never underestimate them. They're obviously great champions and big fighters, and they have all the experience in the world. No matter how many matches they have played or not, in the bigger stages of the tournament they've got this experience. You know, that's what makes them good, is the majority of the time they find ways to win. You obviously can never underestimate them as opponents.

Q. Bye bye No. 1 in the world now. If you have to pick just one opponent, do you pick Serena an Ivanovic? One opponent of yours, like No. 1 in the world you are today. So is it Serena or someone else, like first opponent? The best opponent of you. Do you think it's Serena or Ivanovic?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, every opponent's game is different, and on any given day it's a different situation and a different match. No matter we can play today and then we're going to play tomorrow and the result can be completely different.
You know, there is such a thin line in tennis, especially between wining and losing. Sometimes you go into a match and you're playing your best tennis and you end up losing the match against somebody like Serena or another opponent.
Sometimes you go into the match not playing your best tennis and you win and you leave the court and ask yourself questions like, How does that happen sometimes?
But that's what makes this game good. That's what makes it exciting: It's individual and one on one. Every day is different.

Q. (From Italian) You always play seems like with extraordinary intensity, and it's very exciting to watch you. Were you always so involved since you were a child, or was there a moment in your career, perhaps when you were training in Bradenton, in Florida, where you said, From today I'm going to be more aggressive and more emotionally involved?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. I've just always loved competition. I loved competing and I loved to be honest, I hated practice. I never, you know, I couldn't stand hitting ball after ball after ball. I thought it was really boring.
Only when I was, I don't know, about 12 or 13 I realized that practice is very important and it's going to make me better.
But ever since I was young I was just I always loved playing against kids and I always wanted to compete. If we practiced for 30 minutes, I was sick and tired of that I wanted to play points. So it was just always in me, and to still is.
I'm a big competitor, no matter how good or bad I'm feeling. Nom matter how good or bad I'm playing out there, I'm not going to give up until the last point.
That's won me many matches in my career, and I think it's going to win me many more. It's a good quality to have, and it's also quite tough, because I can be quite tough on my own self when I'm out there.
In a way, I'm a perfectionist and I want try to achieve everything perfect and I want it to go my way. I also have to be quite realistic about knowing that not everything is going to land in and it's not always going to go your way.

Q. Which is your favorite color, because we see you in so many you change so much. Do you have a favorite color, or no?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: When I was young it used to be pink. But just like any other girl it was pink, right? Every girl loves pink. I've grown out of that stage.
I like orange very much because it's a very happy color, and yellow. I like happy colors.

Q. It reflects your personality in some way?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. I'm a pretty outgoing person and I try not to take life too seriously. Yeah, it's just a fun I smile when I see the color. I like bright colors and fun attitude colors.

Q. With Justine's retirement, how wide open is the field for Roland Garros this year? How many players have a legitimate shot at winning the title?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think even if Justine was in in the draw I think a lot of players still have a shot at the title. This year has been pretty different result wise, you know, unlike last year.
I think Justine was the one dominating throughout most the year, especially in the later stages of the year. This year it's been a couple of players, including myself.
It's a Grand Slam stage. I think everybody has a chance. You know, I know I probably sound like a broken record player, but it all comes down to whoever takes chances. Hopefully that will be me.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1575
country flag P_Fer

P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of P_Fer has much to be proud of

Orange is my favourite colour too we're meant to be