** Masha News and Articles! ** - Page 101 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1501
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! **

Maria is a marketing machine

By Gene Sapakoff (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Monday, April 14, 2008

AP Maria Sharapova

It's not like we didn't see this coming. Maria Sharapova was just 15 when she made her first and only Family Circle Cup appearance. But even in April of 2003, the native Russian spent part of her time on Daniel Island at an autograph table signing Prince racket posters featuring a giant photo and a title:
'Princess.'
So what if Sharapova had finished the 2002 schedule ranked 186th on the Sony Ericsson Women's Tennis Association Tour computer? She was on the fastest track in sports. Within 15 months of her first-round loss at the 2003 Family Circle Cup, Sharapova was a 17-year-old Wimbledon champ celebrating the first of her three Grand Slam singles titles.
The Princess instantly became tennis royalty after her conquest of Lindsay Davenport in the semifinals and Serena Williams in the final at the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club.
No wonder there was so much disappointment, even anger, when Sharapova withdrew from the 2007 Family Circle Cup with a shoulder injury with her photo on the official event program and promotional billboards.
She is due back at the 35th annual Family Circle Cup, which starts with main draw action today. Sharapova officially is ranked No. 5 and coming off a Bausch & Lomb championship on Sunday on Amelia Island, Fla., but unquestionably No. 1 among many tennis fans and people who wouldn't know a half volley from a kick serve.
The first time Sharapova played in Charleston, she was a potential star.
Five years later, she is the player and personality veteran sports business analyst Darren Rovell of CNBC described as 'the most marketable athlete in the history of women's sports.'
The endorsement numbers are as impressive as the competitive spirit Sharapova honed as a committed kid living at Nick Bollettieri's famed tennis academy in Bradenton, Fla.
'Anna Kournikova with game' became just the 15th player to surpass $10 million in WTA Tour career prize money last year, which included her U.S. Open singles championship. She reportedly made $20 million more selling things in 2006 alone and after opening 2008 with an Australian Open title is well on her way to more fun and cash.
Sharapova carefully has crafted what she describes as 'relationships' with sponsors. They include Prince, Nike, Gatorade, Canon, Land Rover, Tag Heuer, Motorola, Tropicana and Colgate.
Part of a 'lifetime' Prince deal called for Sharapova to design a pink racquet bag. CBS Paramount Network TV is working with Sharapova on a sports-themed drama project 'set inside the world of professional women's tennis.'
Nike's 'I Feel Pretty' television campaign full of New York City street scenes was a huge hit before the 2006 U.S. Open.
The Canon contract reportedly was three years for $6 million, and that was signed way back in 2004.
For an estimated $1 million per year, Sharapova is 'the global female face for Gatorade.'
Which is quite a responsibility until you realize Rovell has Sharapova on his list of the three 'most marketable current athletes.' Tiger Woods and LeBron James are the others.
Sports Business Daily recently surveyed 65 business and media executives asking them to rank active athletes for sales potential in the North American market. The list: 1. Tiger Woods, 2. Peyton Manning, 3. LeBron James, 4. Derek Jeter, 5. Dwayne Wade, 6. Dale Earnhardt Jr., 7. Tom Brady, 8. Shaquille O'Neal, 9. Sharapova.
Internationally, Sharapova certainly moves up the list. The status is cemented by her tennis performances, highlighted by a No. 1 ranking for seven weeks in 2005 and a career-high No. 2 finish in '06.
Magazine covers have included Forbes, Sports Illustrated and ESPN The Magazine. Sharapova has been featured in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. She has been named one of People Magazine's '50 Most Beautiful People.'
Sharapova is captivating even while on the frustrating end of a lopsided loss. The 2007 Australian Open final in which she won only three games against Serena Williams drew a 1.9 television rating, the highest ever for an ESPN2 tennis broadcast. The 2006 Australian Open final featuring Amelie Mauresmo's victory over Justine Henin got a 0.9 rating.
No wonder ABC News labeled the 6-2, 130-pound Sharapova 'a moneymaking machine ... and a future icon.'
Not bad for a teen who doesn't turn 21 until Saturday, hopefully celebrating somewhere in Charleston.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #1502
country flag mal

mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Maria is a marketing machine

AP Maria Sharapova

Sharapova officially is ranked No. 5 and coming off a Bausch & Lomb championship on Sunday on Amelia Island, Fla., but unquestionably No. 1 among many tennis fans and people who wouldn't know a half volley from a kick serve.

Five years later, she is the player and personality veteran sports business analyst Darren Rovell of CNBC described as 'the most marketable athlete in the history of women's sports.'

Sharapova carefully has crafted what she describes as 'relationships' with sponsors. They include Prince, Nike, Gatorade, Canon, Land Rover, Tag Heuer, Motorola, Tropicana and Colgate.
Just one question: Prince I understand, I like him better than Chris Rea despite having a dog's name, Land Rover, same, good company, but why Tag Heuer, and not Olympic or Seiko, and why not Mitsubishi, who are the biggest collector of international art with pots of money, with a couple of Van Goghs worth over $100,000,000 and a military division to rival that of, thinks um um Fujitsu General, (Japan's equivalent of Genereal Electric in the USA) also with tons of money?

Quote:
For an estimated $1 million per year, Sharapova is 'the global female face for Gatorade.'
Which is quite understandable.

Quote:
Which is quite a responsibility until you realize Rovell has Sharapova on his list of the three 'most marketable current athletes.' Tiger Woods and LeBron James are the others.
Which is news. I knew Tiger was good, but I never knew he was one. Personally I'd have ranked Serena and Venus Williams above him.

Quote:
Not bad for a teen who doesn't turn 21 until Saturday, hopefully celebrating somewhere in Charleston.

Sure, until you compare her to Alexander the Great.
mal is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1503
country flag susanabd

susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light

Cup serves up excitement
The Post and Courier
Tuesday, April 15, 2008

When you get right down to the nitty-gritty green clay of Daniel Island, this week's Family Circle Cup tennis tournament still can be a grand success, despite another one-two punch of late withdrawals.

Perhaps anticipating the loss of a few originally committed stars — this year popular Venus Williams and top-rated Justine Henin — Family Circle Cup management took out an insurance policy.
Meet Maria Sharapova, the 20-year-old international megastar who already has three Grand Slam titles and endorsement deals worth as much as $20 million a year.

Shrewdly, this Sharapova commitment was not announced until a few weeks ago, allowing people who bought tickets early to the 35th annual tournament a pleasant surprise instead of the sour taste of "Sorry, no Maria." Her 2007 withdrawal hurt some Family Circle Cup fans as much as a backhand shot to the ribs.

And what timing.

Not only is the Russian-born, Florida-trained Sharapova coming off her first clay court victory — a straight-set conquest of Dominika Cibulkova on Sunday at Amelia Island — she turns 21 on Saturday.

"It's exciting that I could start the clay court season a little earlier than I have and be in a much better position than I was last year," Sharapova, the No. 4-ranked player in the world, said Monday after arriving on Daniel Island from Florida.

"It's always good to get a title under your belt and have on your resume. It's a good feeling and hopefully I'll improve."

Of course, commitment remains a relative term in Hollywood marriages and in Women's Tennis Association Tour stops. Family Circle Cup organizers and tennis enthusiasts learned as much last year when Serena Williams joined Sharapova to lead a disappointing wave of players who withdrew just before or very early in the tournament.

Paradoxically, Sharapova and Williams this year are here to save the week.

Problem: A wacky Family Circle Cup bracket arrangement has Sharapova potentially clashing with Williams in a quarterfinal match.

"There's a long way to go to that," Sharapova said.

Expect Williams, with Venus accompanying her, to soak up the Charleston love, win or lose. Both Williams sisters have done clinics and charity work during previous Family Circle Cup appearances and usually have the crowd advantage.

"I love Charleston. I have a lot of fans here and it's really cool here," said Serena Williams, ranked No. 9. "It's a great atmosphere. Everyone is so supportive here. Honestly, the people are so nice and so warm. It makes you want to come back every year."

Hopefully, for tournament credibility's sake, no more withdrawals. But there is only so much the Family Circle Cup folks can do with a demanding WTA Tour.

Tournaments are scheduled all over the globe and take a physical toll, stars play deep into draws and non-Grand Slam withdrawals remain too common.

But the total Family Circle Cup attendance last year was 91,899, off only slightly from 92,375 in 2006, the best year since the Family Circle Cup moved from Hilton Head for the 2001 tournament.

The turnstile record might fall this week if Sharapova or Serena sticks around through Sunday.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/...citement37285/
susanabd is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1504
country flag susanabd

susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light susanabd is a glorious beacon of light

Sharapova: Best ads come on the court
As she reaches her 21st birthday, tennis commands her focus despite lures of fame
By AKILAH IMANI NELSON - ainelson@thestate.com

CHARLESTON — She has been featured in television commercials, magazines and print advertisements seen by millions.

But for Maria Sharapova, taking center court in front of thousands is still the greatest thrill.

“My priority has always been tennis,” said Sharapova, who enters this week’s Family Circle Cup ranked fourth on the WTA Tour. “I play tennis because of the competition; it’s where my personality gets to come out.”

Sharapova, who won her third singles title of the season on Sunday at Amelia Island, is seeded No. 2 in the Charleston tournament and has a first-round bye, which means she will not begin play until Wednesday.

That her name sells cameras and shoes and magazines is lovely. That her star is still rising after seven years on tour is a dream come true.

There are a lot of glamorous things that go along with being successful in tennis. ... but my family and I didn’t just wake up one day and they were brought to us on a golden plate,” said Sharapova, who would spend her 21st birthday here if she advances to Saturday’s semifinals.

Her ascension to tennis stardom has been far more grueling but offers greater rewards than the glittery trappings that stardom has afforded her.

Her tennis ability, combined with her striking good looks, catapulted her to celebrity status shortly after she began her career in 2001. The 6-foot-2, Russian-born beauty signed a contract with IMG Models at age 16, a year before she won her first Grand Slam title, at Wimbledon in 2003.

Sharapova has little trouble keeping her celebrity in check, and tennis at the fore.

Because tennis, not fame, was the reason she moved to the United States at age 7.

Tennis, not fame, was the reason Sharapova trained at the Bollettieri Academy, beginning at the age of 9 and went without seeing her mother for at least two years.

There were a lot of difficult days,” Sharapova said. “But those are things that everyone that is here doing interviews had to do, sacrifices that we all make.”

She did it all with her eyes on victory, even when fame was nowhere in sight.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/376270.html
susanabd is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #1505
franny

franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal View Post
What are they talking about?

Do they mean her backhand?
Maybe they meant her backcourt?
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1506
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Playing '21' with Maria

The Post and Courier
Wednesday, April 16, 2008

You have your problems. I have mine.
Perhaps you have a balloon mortgage payment overdue, engine trouble, indigestion issues.
Annoying neighbors? Overweight? Unwanted insects, pimples and house guests?
Yeah, but consider my plight: Trying to plan Maria Sharapova's 21st birthday party around her hectic Family Circle Cup schedule.
The caterer isn't returning calls. The band I want is on a Scandinavian tour.
And what do you get for a globe- trotting, multi-millionaire, multi-Grand Slam winner who already has all the Nike gear, Canon cameras and Gatorade she can use? An iTunes gift card?
Fortunately, this is Charleston, where party opportunities outnumber gnats.
Pleasantly, the No. 2 seed at this Family Circle Cup seems prepared to enjoy her first extended Lowcountry experience, cake and all.
"What day do I turn 21?" Sharapova asked with a giggle.
Saturday.
"Saturday, right?" she said. "Well, hopefully I'll be in the semifinals and hopefully I can win that match. It's just the way it is with your birthday, you never know when it's going to hit on tour. But if I get (to the semifinals), I'll be happy."
We're going to make sure of that.
Virgin daiquiris
Sharapova favors virgin strawberry daiquiris. So let's pull together, people. On the house anywhere in town, got it?
Otherwise, a highly compensated choreographer has signed off on a tentative schedule sure to delight.
--Today: After a first-round bye, Sharapova tonight will make short work of American qualifier Bethanie Mattek, ranked No. 151.
The fun day starts with lunch at Magnolias and a tour of Magnolia Gardens.
--Thursday: Ho-hum, another win.
Shopping on King Street.
Lunch on Shem Creek.
A nice stroll on the Pitt Street Bridge.
--Friday: The quarterfinals and possibly a match with Serena Williams.
How nice of the Family Circle Cup people to bring 35th anniversary guests such as Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova to town to help Sharapova celebrate.
Arrangements have been made for a private tour of Fort Sumter via a yacht stocked with shrimp and grits from Barbara Jean's (optional stop for virgin strawberry daiquiris at Castle Pinckney).
Takeout Thai
--Saturday: After fielding congratulatory telegrams, text messages and e-mails from friends and wanna-be friends all over the world, Maria can spend the afternoon winning her semifinal match.
We have booked an oceanfront estate at an undisclosed Isle of Palms location. Maria can invite anyone she wants, or no one at all. If she prefers to order a pizza from A Dough Re Mi and relax, all the better. Because a good night's sleep is in order for the Sunday final.
--Sunday: Top seed and defending champ Jelena Jankovic lurks on the other side of the bracket.
Win or lose in the final, Sharapova deserves another slice of cake and Thai cuisine, her favorite food other than Russian. A Basil takeout spread will be waiting in the clubhouse.
If everything comes together as carefully planned and there isn't a pluff mud incident, a larger than life poster of Maria Sharapova will be unveiled aside Family Circle Stadium and she will be back next year to celebrate birthday No. 22.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #1507
country flag Emina.

Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute

Great articles! thanks

I hope she'll be playing in the Final on Sunday- that would be a great birthday gift; she deserves it. C'mon Maria!

--

Last edited by Emina. : Apr 16th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Emina. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1508
country flag beni
Registered 1

beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all beni is a name known to all

Is it just me or does everyone else can't access the official Maria Sharapova website (mariasharapova.com)?

I didn't know where to post this question. Hope to find out soon!
beni is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #1509
country flag Mashafaaaaan

Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold Mashafaaaaan is a splendid one to behold

No, me too I can't, don't know what's the problem.
Mashafaaaaan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #1510
country flag Natasc

Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute

/\/\/\
and me three!!
what's going on??
Natasc is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #1511
country flag zayos_10

zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all zayos_10 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasc View Post
/\/\/\
and me three!!
what's going on??
i thought it was my Internet conection now I see I'm not the only one.

Maybe they are working on something to improve her web site?
zayos_10 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #1512
country flag goldenlox

I can't get on mariasharapova.com either. I only want the homepage, but I can't get it

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #1513
country flag jsage
Registered 1

jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice

Me too. I can't.
jsage is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1514
LizeT

LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of

me too..what could be the problem of her site...i was able to sign in but then it directs me to a weird site..
I wonder what FamilyCup organizers plans to give on maria's bday..maybe a big big cake after she wins the semis..hehe...hope she reaches the semis and eventually win it! Go MAria!
LizeT is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #1515
LizeT

LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of LizeT has much to be proud of

Did Maria Sharapova forget to pay her bills?

Uh-oh. Here's another possible case of a tennis baller not paying the bills.

I strolled on over to Maria "Shriek"apova's website this morning and was greeted with the screen above. Did the Russian forget to send in a payment or is she revamping and moving her site?

got from downthelinetennis.com
LizeT is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread