---- Wild Cards????---- - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #1
country flag C.MARTINEZ
Senior Member
 
C.MARTINEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: España
Posts: 3,948
C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future C.MARTINEZ has a brilliant future
---- Wild Cards????----

Please Conchitron, take one!!!!!!!!
__________________
María José Martínez Sánchez

Garbiñe Muguruza - María Teresa Torró Flor - María Sharapova - Marion Bartoli - Petra Kvitova
C.MARTINEZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:20 AM   #2
rfs1999
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,190
rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice
We want Monica!
rfs1999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3
country flag Marty_mtl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 172
Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice
Pelletier and Drake got two of the main draw wild cards. The third one will be announced later this week.
__________________
Go Canadian Girls!!!
Marty_mtl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #4
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors
 
Randy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,769
Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_mtl
Pelletier and Drake got two of the main draw wild cards. The third one will be announced later this week.
congratulations to Marie-Eve and Maureen, hopefully their recent challenger success will bring them some confidence coming into the Montreal tournament (and hopefully some kind draws )

the third WC for me is tough to choose, but I think that it should go to either Stephanie Dubois, or Aleksandra Wozniak (I feel bad for Marois, but her form since injury has really not been the same, plus she just lost 6-0, 6-0 today )
__________________
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Randy H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #5
country flag barabanschikova_fan
Senior Member
 
barabanschikova_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 660
barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all
Maureen Drake... again, again and again... it make me sick... after that she cry because Navratilova is still playing..navratilova could get it the main of any tournamenet by playing qualies...not you maureen...

But am i surprise with Tennis Canada decision? Nooooooooo, they still make me sick! But her on court 6!!! With 2-3 persons i nthe stand! We don't care here!!!
__________________
TAMIRA PASZEK RULEZZZZZZZ
barabanschikova_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #6
country flag polishprodigy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,640
polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute
I'm happy about Pelletier getting the wildcard.
But Drake? Even with her two finalist appearances in challengers as of late, I think its time she played the qualies, even if she is the top ranked player. This reminds me of the New Zealand scenario in Auckland, with Shelley thinkin she was most deserving just because she was the highest ranked player. Canada doesn't have to go the way Australia has, but Maureen has received many MD wildcards, and she hasn't used them well. Plus, she doesn't seem the desire to play the game well anymore!

I hope they give the third wc to dubois. If they give it to Wozniak, I will still be happy as both those players have a good shot of winning their r1 depending on their draw.
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #7
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors
 
Randy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,769
Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabanschikova_fan
Maureen Drake... again, again and again... it make me sick... after that she cry because Navratilova is still playing..navratilova could get it the main of any tournamenet by playing qualies...not you maureen...

But am i surprise with Tennis Canada decision? Nooooooooo, they still make me sick! But her on court 6!!! With 2-3 persons i nthe stand! We don't care here!!!
do we really have to hear your same useless comments every singles year? again, again and again....

Maureen is our highest ranked player right now, and although her year has not been as good as previous, her points earned this year still put her in second behind Pelletier. I don't see any other Canadians reaching 50k challenger finals, and to be completely realistic, I really would be pretty surprised if any of the Canadians won a main draw match unless they drew eachother Hope they prove me wrong, but who else is there really? Marois was just double bagelled by someone Maureen handled routinely last week, Ko was also beaten easily in 2 sets in a qualifying tournament. The only 2 who could possibly merit wildcards are Dubois and Wozniak because of their junior efforts and their Fed Cup efforts, but at this stage, it would not hurt either of them to play the qualifying event where they will have a better chance of winning. They are also juniors still, so the prize money won't be given to them either.
__________________
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Randy H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #8
country flag barabanschikova_fan
Senior Member
 
barabanschikova_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 660
barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H
do we really have to hear your same useless comments every singles year? again, again and again....

Maureen is our highest ranked player right now, and although her year has not been as good as previous, her points earned this year still put her in second behind Pelletier. I don't see any other Canadians reaching 50k challenger finals, and to be completely realistic, I really would be pretty surprised if any of the Canadians won a main draw match unless they drew eachother Hope they prove me wrong, but who else is there really? Marois was just double bagelled by someone Maureen handled routinely last week, Ko was also beaten easily in 2 sets in a qualifying tournament. The only 2 who could possibly merit wildcards are Dubois and Wozniak because of their junior efforts and their Fed Cup efforts, but at this stage, it would not hurt either of them to play the qualifying event where they will have a better chance of winning. They are also juniors still, so the prize money won't be given to them either.
maybe i repeat year after year because they repeat their errors years after years. Marois made a fabulous match last year against Loit (i was there in the stand in the early hour of the nigh when i have hear from a nother great canadian to put my fuc*ing flag away) I agree she sucks recently but come on... it will help help with the money at least... and maureen she will take the money for her retirement...anyway no one except M-e derserve it, so let get the draw better... suggestion, why we don't trade WC with another tournamenet so our only hope in tennis, M-E receive one in another tier 1 event? Could be great to suggest to Tennis Canada because there is a fact In Canada and Québec: When the tournament is in Toronto, they don't care to see Québécoises receiving WC and playing centre court and it is the same thing here, people don't care to see canadians players receiving WC and playing centre court. It is not political just a simple question of facts!
__________________
TAMIRA PASZEK RULEZZZZZZZ
barabanschikova_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:36 AM   #9
country flag polishprodigy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,640
polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.rogerscup.com/english/news/pelletier.asp

After reading this article, Maureen's record doesn't look so bad, winning against Pratt in wimbledon is quite impressive. I just hope she uses her main draw wildcard well! I don't want another loss to a Craybas in the first round!

THey gave her the wildcard because she is receiving two awards.....
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #10
country flag ~CANUCK~
This is my fancy user title
 
~CANUCK~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,039
~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute
ok where do you get off saying that shit, i watched the matches last year and m-e and meli's matches were last on, and the stands still had people in them cheering them on, and it was in toronto. you are the only person that were bitching about WC's and how the french players wouldn't get them. Last year no one was upset that they got them. And im sorry if you think that meli should get a wc just becoz she played a great match last year, well then lets go back a few more years where mo beat kremer in the first round, thats good enough to get her another wc to. Becoz we all know that your past performence will determine how well you play this time. I am also pissed off that you are generalizing again. Im sorry but there are people out there that want to see mo play, me for one, you keep forgetting not everyone is a fucking political retard like you. This is a tennis tournament, it brings people from other places, ie people who don't give a fuck about seperation, and im sure they would rather watch mo lose 7-6 6-1 while breaking racquets and kicking chairs then see meli get double bageled by someone who will lose in the next round 1 and 1.
~CANUCK~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #11
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors
 
Randy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,769
Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabanschikova_fan
maybe i repeat year after year because they repeat their errors years after years. Marois made a fabulous match last year against Loit (i was there in the stand in the early hour of the nigh when i have hear from a nother great canadian to put my fuc*ing flag away) I agree she sucks recently but come on... it will help help with the money at least... and maureen she will take the money for her retirement...anyway no one except M-e derserve it, so let get the draw better... suggestion, why we don't trade WC with another tournamenet so our only hope in tennis, M-E receive one in another tier 1 event? Could be great to suggest to Tennis Canada because there is a fact In Canada and Québec: When the tournament is in Toronto, they don't care to see Québécoises receiving WC and playing centre court and it is the same thing here, people don't care to see canadians players receiving WC and playing centre court. It is not political just a simple question of facts!
You are right that no one but Pelletier probably 'deserves' a WC (though the word 'deserve' with wildcard seems a bit of an oxymoron - If they deserved a spot in the tournament, they should have earned it with their ranking for direct entry, but whatever ). Still, Melanie's performance this week has to show that she is just not in the form she was in last year, and if she is double bagelled by Nan Nan Liu, what are the chances she is going to do any better against someone much higher ranked in the main draw? As I said, I feel bad for Melanie because she is a talented player and she was unlucky to have some injuries this year, but she is just not in the right form with her confidence to be playing in the main draw this year.

I think it would be great if Canada had a wildcard deal with another country to offer more chances to play in big events outside of Canada, but unfortunately I don't think that will happen. However, I disagree with your thoughts on the crowds of Toronto and Montreal. Last year Pelletier had very very strong crowd support in Toronto in her match against Washington, and in Montreal '02 I saw Maureen play against Farina-Elia on the centre court - There was more people there to see that match than there are a lot of other early round centre court matches, so I think you are exaggerating with your facts.
__________________
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Randy H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:52 AM   #12
country flag barabanschikova_fan
Senior Member
 
barabanschikova_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 660
barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all barabanschikova_fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_Fan
ok where do you get off saying that shit, i watched the matches last year and m-e and meli's matches were last on, and the stands still had people in them cheering them on, and it was in toronto. you are the only person that were bitching about WC's and how the french players wouldn't get them. Last year no one was upset that they got them. And im sorry if you think that meli should get a wc just becoz she played a great match last year, well then lets go back a few more years where mo beat kremer in the first round, thats good enough to get her another wc to. Becoz we all know that your past performence will determine how well you play this time. I am also pissed off that you are generalizing again. Im sorry but there are people out there that want to see mo play, me for one, you keep forgetting not everyone is a fucking political retard like you. This is a tennis tournament, it brings people from other places, ie people who don't give a fuck about seperation, and im sure they would rather watch mo lose 7-6 6-1 while breaking racquets and kicking chairs then see meli get double bageled by someone who will lose in the next round 1 and 1.
i repeat!!! this is not a politial question this time, it is a fact!!! M-E derserve one and no one, trade them in the future.
__________________
TAMIRA PASZEK RULEZZZZZZZ
barabanschikova_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #13
CoryAnnAvants#1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,898
CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute
Maureen is the #1 player in Canada and has been for the last four years. You want the top player from your country playing in your home tournament, case closed. Marie-Eve is head and shoulders better than any other Canadian save for Mo.

Beier Ko has been stuck in the same spot for the last year or two, so she'll make do with a qualy WC. The other MD WC comes down to Wosniak and Dubois, and while Wosniak has represented Canada well in Fed Cup, she's only played 2 tournaments in the last year, so just playing matches in qualifying will give her good experience. Dubois just won a challenger event, which is more than any other Canadian has done this year, so she deserves the other WC.
CoryAnnAvants#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:09 AM   #14
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
¤CharlDa¤'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: www.stephaniedubois.net
Posts: 27,314
¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute
I so hope Steph receives it...I think Wozniak would deserve it jsut as much, but the fact that steph is building her pro career and needs the points, where as Aleks is still in juniors, is helping me to go for steph..and il lbe there to cheer for her!
__________________
¤CharlDa¤ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #15
country flag Atrixo
Senior Member
 
Atrixo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 666
Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of
Drake and Pelletier again? I hope they justify this decision with good performances, because --- to be quite frank --- I'm tired of seeing those two.

I hope Dubois gets a MD wildcard though, I want to see what she can do. Maybe Zoricic can get a Qualifying wildcard as well.
Atrixo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios