Kerry Reid - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:40 PM   #1
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Kerry Reid

Hey, anyone here remember the Aussie with the crazy sidespin strokes from the '70's? She had the most incredible sidespin forehand. I was always trying to copy it when I was a kid. Kerry often gave Evert trouble but only won a match or two from her in the very early part of the decade. I believe she beat Chrissie in the US semis in '72 and lost the final in straights to BJK.

Anybody have any stories on Kerry? Fans?

That sidespin...it would bounce and then hop to the side. I wish more players would use this stroke. I have seen Hingis do it a few times, but only when in trouble.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:00 PM   #2
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
I remember Kerry Melville Reid very well. In addition to that wonderful inside-out, sidespin forehand, she had probably the best drop shot in the women's game. It's true that she gave Chris some trouble early in her career, but I believe that U.S. Open semifinal was her last victory over Chris. From that point forward, Chris really dominated her. Note, too, that Kerry frustrated Tracy Austin very early in her career, too. Kerry played solid tennis, but tended to fold when the pressure was too great and she had a real opportunity sitting on her racket. She just never seemed to be able to back up her big wins with another solid result. For example, she beat Martina N at the Family Circle Cup on year, only to lose for the first time, albeit in two tiebreaks, to Tracy Austin, who had never previously won a set from her. Likewise, she fell apart against a comebacking Billi Jean King in the 1977 Family Circle Cup, losing rather tamely in a match that she should have won in straight sets. In general, though, the FCC was a good tournament for Kerry, as she reached three finals there. Her biggest moment came when she won the Australian Open in 1977, beating Diane Fromholtz in the final. That was one time when Kerry held her nerve. I think she also won the Wimbledon doubles with Wendy Turnbull in the 1970s. She retired in either 1979 or 1980, at the end of the season. I believe she actually defaulted her last match in the round-robin portion of the season-ending championships. She did play a couple of Family Circle Cups (she lives/lived on Hilton Head) and even won a round or two in her "old age."
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:51 AM   #3
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Mark

Yes, Kerry Reid did have an unusual style - that famous inside out forehand and a backhand a little reminiscent of Sue Barker's - adequate I guess would be the best description. But she could wallop her forehand and just loved playing it deep to the backhand corner, and as you mentioned, she loved to drop shot.

The only time I saw her play live was in a Vet's match at Wimbledon. I got to meet her after the match and she was quite pleasant. I remember she had a strong American accent which threw me a little until I realised she would have lived in the States for a long time.

I have a few of her matches on tape including the 72 USO Semis when she beat Evert in one of her greatest matches, and also the Wimbledon Semis when Evert got her revenge. I also have the 78 Fed Cup match when she beat Austin - she played very clever grass court tennis in this particular match and her drop shot was working a treat (although Austin was only about 14! LOL). I also have her Wimbledon Doubles Final win on tape when she paired up with Helen Gourley to beat Ruzici & Jausovec in a thrillingly close match.

Kerry was a nice player but she competed in an era rich with talent: King / Court / Goolagong / Evert / Wade / Navratilova and we can't forget Durr!
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2002, 03:22 PM   #4
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Tennisvideos, I am surprised Kerry had an American accent! But as Jem pointed out, she did live on Hilton Head (and maybe still does). South Carolina is a good place to get an accent. The last time I heard anything about Kerry was around 84/85. I think she and Evonne Goolagong teamed up for a "hit and giggle" doubles match at the Family Circle on Hilton Head. They actually won a round.
Old Mar 12th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Kerry spent most of her time in the States from 1971, being one of the first to support the Slims.
She also met her husband here when playing Team Tennis-they made sure they were on the same team one year as part of her contract after trades threatened to split them apart. Is Raz an Aussie as well?

Melville was at her best in 1972-4, the years she beat Evert, made the WTA finals at Boca Raton(having a set point on Chris on the clay)-and beat Goolagong to make the Wimbledon semis in 74.
That upset may have helped Evert to her first Wimbledon, because in 1974 Chris still had never beaten Evonne or King on grass.

Reid was usually cast as the sweet pixie. Two exceptions were a 1977 US open match with Billie Jean, and an incident involving transexual Rennee Richards. Kerry defaulted midmatch at 6-7 1-4 vs. Richards because she felt she was competing against a "man". This was in Phoenix, just weeks after some dispute with King in the 4th round at the US Open. It was so bad they refused to shake hands at the end!

Maybe Kerry was sick of being sweet in 77-
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Checking the IFT site, I see Kerry beat Rennee early in 1978 by 4-6 7-6 7-6. By then it was clear Rennee wasn't going to disappear.
Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:06 AM   #7
louloubelle

louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of
I have often wondered how popular Kerry was with Aust public. Despite an Aus Open crown in 1977 and a US Final I never have tended to hear her mentioned much as a former top player. It could've been because of being in the shadow of Court and Cawley but even then the likes of Turnbull and Balestrat IMO get mentioned more. Maybe the American accent could've had something to do with it!!

Apparently this was written in the 1968 Aus Open official program!!!

Kerry Melvilles idea of tennis practice over the past few months since returning from her 1967 overseas tennis touring is to play one set, and sit out at least one with finance, David Allen.

A bit harsh!!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2002, 01:15 PM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Harsh, yet apparently all too true louloubelle! I have an article on Kerry from the Feb. 1970 issue of World Tennis, written by fellow pro Julie Heldman. It says Kerry more or less stopped playing in 1968 to get married, only to break off her engagement and return witha bang in 1969. The article says she and "Kran" Karen
Krantzcke were best of pals. The real shocker(hold on to your seat)-Kerry dated Rumanian bad boy Ilie Nastase at one time!
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:06 AM   #9
country flag Mark43

Well that is a shocker! haha! Thanks for the tidbit!
Old Mar 16th, 2002, 07:59 AM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

It threw me too Mark. Life is funny
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:52 PM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Does anyone have the Nastase book? I just wondered if he mentions Kerry in his book.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:29 AM   #12
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Reid was usually cast as the sweet pixie. Two exceptions were a 1977 US open match with Billie Jean, and an incident involving transexual Rennee Richards. Kerry defaulted midmatch at 6-7 1-4 vs. Richards because she felt she was competing against a "man". This was in Phoenix, just weeks after some dispute with King in the 4th round at the US Open. It was so bad they refused to shake hands at the end!

Maybe Kerry was sick of being sweet in 77-
Rollo, in that match with King, it was BJK who refused to shake hands with Kerry and generally behaved like the butt she could be in her prime. At the time, BJK promptly noted how she had never refused to shake anyone's hand before in her career. Too which Julie Heldman promptly noted that King had refused to shake her hand at the U.S. Open one year when Heldman upset her.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:14 AM   #13
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Rollo, in that match with King, it was BJK who refused to shake hands with Kerry and generally behaved like the butt she could be in her prime. At the time, BJK promptly noted how she had never refused to shake anyone's hand before in her career. Too which Julie Heldman promptly noted that King had refused to shake her hand at the U.S. Open one year when Heldman upset her.
I didn't see the match, but heard the news and read about it. King had one of her tantrums over a disputed call and Kerry mentioned to the umpire that she should receive a point penalty. As you can imagine, that didn't go over well with BJK.

I enjoyed the pairing of Reid and Turnbull. Interesting that Reid was never a great threat in doubles until the end of her career in that partnership. She and Krantzcke were perennial semi and qf ists.

Nancy Richey said Kerry's nickname was Tubbs.

Richey won a tough SF against Kerry in the Aussie in the late 60's, but Nancy was so badly injured she couldn't play the final. So Richey defaulted the only Slam final in history. Wish Kerry could've gotten through the match so Margaret Court would've had someone to play.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:09 AM   #14
country flag jirobkk

jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future
Any picture of her ???
Jiro's Facebook
My favorite players are Chris Evert and Jimmy Connors.
Congrats to Tammy for her fourth title in Japan Women's Open 2010.
jirobkk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:29 AM   #15
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP