Thought you might be interested to know.... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #1
country flag RayRob
Team WTAworld

RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of
Thought you might be interested to know....

You know how Lindsay wasn't the only Davenport family member to reprisent the USA in the Olympics....as you know, I'm sure, her dad (Wink as he was called) reprisented the USA in vollyball in the '68 games in Mexico City.

Well, anyway, I bought "The Complete Book of the Olympics - 2004 Edition" and Lindsay's dad is mentioned because all the members of each of the 8 teams are listed. I thought you might be interested in the fact that Lindsay's dad isn't actually called Wink (it's his nickname). He is written as Winthrop "Wink" Davenport.

For the record, USA mens vollyball was placed 7 in that year's Olympics out of 8 entering teams! They won 4 matches and lost 5.....Belgium came 8th (last) having won only 2 and lost 7! The medals were as follows:

1. Soviot Union
2. Japan
3. Czech Republic

Hope this interested you as it did me.....

Rachel
RayRob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #2
country flag threelions

threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point
Rachel, you are well and truly sad.
threelions is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #3
country flag Jan

Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all
Rache, I knew his nickname was Wink, but did not know his name was Winthrop. Sounds quite important don't you think?
Good Luck to Heather Watson, Laura Robson, Kaia Kanepi
Jan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4
country flag Elske
Kitty's muff muncher

Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute Elske has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRob
Belgium came 8th (last) having won only 2 and lost 7!
pffffffffft!
Elske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #5
country flag foreva lindsay

foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of foreva lindsay has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Rache, I knew his nickname was Wink, but did not know his name was Winthrop. Sounds quite important don't you think?
winthrop

Elena Baltacha Alicia Molik
*Alicia's coming back!!! *

Lisa Raymond Rennae Stubbs Nadia Petrova Anna-Lena Groenefeld
foreva lindsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #6
country flag RayRob
Team WTAworld

RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelions
Rachel, you are well and truly sad.

Well, yes, you could say that......but I actually didn't search the olympic guide specifically to see if he was mentioned - I just happened to be looking at previous results for the different events and spotted that. It would be said, if I intentionally spent hours finding out information along those lines, but it took possibly a mere 30 seconds - if that!

-Rache
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #7
country flag threelions

threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point threelions is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRob

Well, yes, you could say that......but I actually didn't search the olympic guide specifically to see if he was mentioned - I just happened to be looking at previous results for the different events and spotted that. It would be said, if I intentionally spent hours finding out information along those lines, but it took possibly a mere 30 seconds - if that!

-Rache
Rachel, I was only teasing. What I really meant was "You are very enthusiastic" and that's a very positive quality to possess. Keep sharing it! On the Olympics themselves, I used to love them but with all the drug taking stories my enthusiasm ( there's that word again ) has waned. The highlight for us , the British, should be watching Paula Radcliffe run in the marathon. Incidentally, in Manchester in 2002 we held the Commonwalth Games and it was a total success and brought the whole community together in a way no one believed possible. We were all very proud. Hopefully London can be successful in their 2012 bid. It would allow us the chance to build top class sporting venues and facilities and I am sure bring the whole country together.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #8
country flag Jan

Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all Jan is a name known to all
I still think "Winthrop" is kinda dinstinguished. I imagine this tall guy telling Lindsaay off severely when she was small for some wrong doing or other. I know, I am sad too.......
Good Luck to Heather Watson, Laura Robson, Kaia Kanepi
Jan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #9
country flag RayRob
Team WTAworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by threelions
Rachel, I was only teasing. What I really meant was "You are very enthusiastic" and that's a very positive quality to possess. Keep sharing it! On the Olympics themselves, I used to love them but with all the drug taking stories my enthusiasm ( there's that word again ) has waned. The highlight for us , the British, should be watching Paula Radcliffe run in the marathon. Incidentally, in Manchester in 2002 we held the Commonwalth Games and it was a total success and brought the whole community together in a way no one believed possible. We were all very proud. Hopefully London can be successful in their 2012 bid. It would allow us the chance to build top class sporting venues and facilities and I am sure bring the whole country together.
lol you don't have to explain - I knew you were teasing! I have thick skin - I can take it

I agree with you about the Olympics though. It was always the sport event growing up (as well as Wimbledon) that I always greatly looked forward to. Sydney was a great olympics and I really don't think that Greece can better it - it would be a nice suprise if they do, but I am doubting it. That as well as all the questions over drug related issues, I just hope a damper isn't but on the event!

I am behind the London bid 100%, if Greece and Bejing (?spelling?) can win a bid, then surely London has a high chance! We proved ourselves with the Commonwealth games that we can handle an international event - it's time the Olympics came back to London!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #10
country flag threelions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I still think "Winthrop" is kinda dinstinguished. I imagine this tall guy telling Lindsaay off severely when she was small for some wrong doing or other. I know, I am sad too.......
Jan, I imagine Winthrop as Homer's brother in the Simpsons and that would account for the way Lindsay sometimes plays!

Rachel, tell me Lindsay's mum isn't called Marge.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #11
gossipcom

gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice gossipcom is just really nice
In Sydney they made note of this - actually both Lindsay and Andre Agassi had a parent who represented their country at the Olympics. Andre's father represented Iran (but for the life of me I can't remember which sport - might have been athletics) and that was another reason why the Olympics Gold meant so much to Lindsay not only was it in her home country but also being the daughter of someone who represented their country at the Olympics she had a reputation to keep up with
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #12
country flag Andrew.
A winner is me.

Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold
Andre's father was a boxer.
Andrew. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #13
country flag Kelly

Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of
im glad im not the only one who finds his name funny...lol...

the manchester games was great...and its great to see the stadium being put to good use buy myself and fellow man city fans...a great stadium!

TOWER OF POWER 2006

Kelly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #14
country flag RayRob
Team WTAworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly

the manchester games was great...and its great to see the stadium being put to good use buy myself and fellow man city fans...a great stadium!
LOL, I never got to go. I applied for tickets to see the Womens Gymnastics event but never got tickets!

I always wondered why Tennis was missing in the Commonwealths too. I know that it is only a resent addision to the Olympics, but wouldn't it be a great opportunity for lesser ranked players to play. For example, GB, NZ and Australia are all in the Commonwealth and there are lower ranked players who would benifit playing against one another on a big "stage" - would be good for some experience maybe?

Also, South Africa are a commonwealth country - just think how many Gold medals Amanda Coetzer could have won in her time Also, up until 2002 Zimbabwe was a Commonwealth coutry, so Cara Black and her brothers could have had a few golds between them.......

I guess I've gone a bit ......sorry....

-Rache
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #15
country flag threelions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly

It's a small world, Kelly, I'm a City season ticket holder too! Maybe we get drawn to lost causes, City and Lindsay have a lot to answer for.