Is too big a deal being made about the incorrect score? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #1
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
Is too big a deal being made about the incorrect score?

Yes it was a bad mistake and Sprem got a point she shouldn't have. That's all fact. Still, is that ultimately any different than the bad call that was made in the 1st set that would have given Sprem 2 set points? Is it any different than Serena not getting another 1st serve in the SF of Roland Garros last year?

Umpires and lines people make mistakes all the time because, guess what, they're human!! Most matches have an incorrect call, an incorrect decision, etc. Why is this really any different?
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #2
country flag cheesestix

cheesestix has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenglisbe
Yes it was a bad mistake and Sprem got a point she shouldn't have. That's all fact. Still, is that ultimately any different than the bad call that was made in the 1st set that would have given Sprem 2 set points? Is it any different than Serena not getting another 1st serve in the SF of Roland Garros last year?

Umpires and lines people make mistakes all the time because, guess what, they're human!! Most matches have an incorrect call, an incorrect decision, etc. Why is this really any different?
It's not really any different, IMHO. It just diverts attention away from the fact that the heavy favorite was outplayed. The "umpire" was the focus. Had that not happened, we'd be hearing about how badly Venus played. In fact, we're starting to hear that too.
cheesestix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #3
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

If the umpire was fired from the tournament, then it is a big deal.
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #4
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Ladies and gentlemen, here with you the new Williams-expert: cheesetrix.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #5
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Who is making a big deal of it?! It is wimbledon itself who fired the guy. Venus didn´t complain, no one else complained... sho why is mr cheesetrix trying to act funny?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #6
country flag "Sluggy"

"Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute
yes and no. it is a hugely embarrassing error. so it is a big deal in that respect. But one error does not make a tennis match. so to blame the loss on one error is silly.
"Sluggy" is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #7
country flag cheesestix

cheesestix has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Who is making a big deal of it?! It is wimbledon itself who fired the guy. Venus didn´t complain, no one else complained... sho why is mr cheesetrix trying to act funny?!
Who is making about big deal out of it? Gee, I don't know, must've been the 1000+ threads about how Venus got robbed by the umpire?
cheesestix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #8
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesestix
Who is making about big deal out of it? Gee, I don't know, must've been the 1000+ threads about how Venus got robbed by the umpire?
The tournament did by telling the press they goofed, not this board.
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #9
country flag Princess Fiona
Team WTAworld
Superskyderen

Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute
I really like Venus - I'm sorry she didn't win. It was the first time that I'd really seen Karolina - wow!! I am certainly going to follow her in the future... Anyway... *back on topic*

I feel sorry for Venus (for what happened in the tie-break) and this has also cast a shadow over the biggest win of Karolina's career. People do of course make mistakes though (I know all about mistake making... *blush* ) - I imagine the umpire is feeling awful and embarrassed about what has happened. And Karolina did have the bad call in the first set as has been stated...

<finish post>
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #10
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

That was indeed a tough mistake to make esp in a tie break where every point counts. This wasn't a line call but a point freely given. which means at 7/7 Venus already had the set won. Anything was possible after that. But we will never know but that isn't the point.
And no this isn't similar to the SF at RG last year. This time it was the umpire at fault, at RG the umpire didn't see the hand and justine wasn't honest.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #11
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogBurger
yes and no. it is a hugely embarrassing error. so it is a big deal in that respect. But one error does not make a tennis match. so to blame the loss on one error is silly.
I don't think ANYONE blamed the loss on that error, including Venus, Richard and myself.

Venus had set points in Both sets...It's sport, it happens, just wasn't her year.

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Foot_Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #12
country flag Peer101

Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice Peer101 is just really nice
The ESPEN people seem like they are going to kill themselves

SHAHAR PEER

Maria Fernanda Alvarez Terran [bolivia]
Iri Tulyaganova is Back!
Peer101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #13
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Fiona
I really like Venus - I'm sorry she didn't win. It was the first time that I'd really seen Karolina - wow!! I am certainly going to follow her in the future... Anyway... *back on topic*

I feel sorry for Venus (for what happened in the tie-break) and this has also cast a shadow over the biggest win of Karolina's career. People do of course make mistakes though (I know all about mistake making... *blush* ) - I imagine the umpire is feeling awful and embarrassed about what has happened. And Karolina did have the bad call in the first set as has been stated...

<finish post>
I respect what you have said. But a Point in a game vs. a point in a Tie-break are totally different and the significance is much greater, thats the big deal.

I feel Venus played as well as she could've, but was to defensive yesterday. and got pretty tight on her opportunities. She was the one with everything to lose yesterday, so she played tighter...but in retrospect, they both played pretty well.

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Foot_Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #14
country flag adayinjune

adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point
It is almost like a bad call. Truth is that had it been 3-1 (or whatever) you never know how each player would react psychologically. Truth is that Venus had set points which she lost, If anything she would have had to face a match point anyways
adayinjune is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #15
country flag Jericho

Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Of course it is different...it was a tiebreaker in which every point is crucial...this wasnt some bad line call...Karolina didnt even have to strike a single ball to earn that point. After a bad line call, players either are mentally bothered or build from it...

Completely different.

Jericho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote