Capriati almost sets new record during interview - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1
country flag controlfreak
Team WTAworld

controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute controlfreak has a reputation beyond repute
Capriati almost sets new record during interview

From GoTennis.com:

Quote:
The transcripts of the post-match player interviews at Wimbledon expose the verbal tics of even the most loquacious player.

Every "Um" and every "Er" is faithfully recorded verbatim by stenographers.

Even so, Jennifer Capriati must have set some king of record in her interview after her first-round win on Thursday.

The transcript showed that the American player used the phrase "you know" 38 times in an interview that lasted barely 10 minutes.
This puts Capriati second only to David Beckham, who once managed to say "you know" 62 times in a one-minute post-match interview.
controlfreak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #2
country flag Glenn

Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light Glenn is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfreak
From GoTennis.com:

This puts Capriati second only to David Beckham, who once managed to say "you know" 62 times in a one-minute post-match interview.
OK that's not possible.
Beckham would have to say more than 1 "you know" every second.

~|~ Justine Henin-Hardenne ~|~ ~|~ Karolina Sprem ~|~ ~|~ Ashley Harkleroad~|~ ~|~ Marissa Irvin ~|~ ~|~ Corina Morariu ~|~ ~|~ Anna Kournikova ~|~ ~|~ Clarisa Fernandez ~|~ ~|~ Flavia Pennetta ~|~ ~|~ Iroda Tulyaganova ~|~ ~|~ Lina Krasnoroutskaya ~|~ ~|~ Denisa Chladkova ~|~ ~|~ Patty Schnyder ~|~ ~|~ Aniko Kapros ~|~ ~|~ Daja Bedanova ~|~ ~|~ Maja Matevzic ~|~ ~|~ Alexandra Stevenson ~|~
Glenn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #3
country flag fifiricci

fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute
Well, um, you know Kim Clijisters? She's, um you know, that ace player from Belgium. You know, I'm really amazed that Capriati, you know, managed to use more, um "you knows" per sentence than, um you know Kimmy.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #4
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiricci
Well, um, you know Kim Clijisters? She's, um you know, that ace player from Belgium. You know, I'm really amazed that Capriati, you know, managed to use more, um "you knows" per sentence than, um you know Kimmy.
Well, at least Clijsters has the excuse that she isn't a native speaker of English.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #5
country flag JennyS

JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
Well, at least Clijsters has the excuse that she isn't a native speaker of English.
Have you, ever, like, you know, listened to NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL players' press conferences. I've heard, some of those, you know, players, um, like you know, say you know, more often than, you know, Jen.

I think that players tend to say you know because they're trying to, you know, come up with something to say, and, they need some filler while they are trying to come with, you know, what they want to, you know, say.

Does anyone else remember the show called "It's Like, You Know," starring Jennifer Grey. Too bad Jen Cap never appeared on it.
JennyS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #6
country flag Chunchun
Team WTAworld

Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute
also LenaD say a lot "you know" while she speaks english
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #7
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
Have you, ever, like, you know, listened to NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL players' press conferences. I've heard, some of those, you know, players, um, like you know, say you know, more often than, you know, Jen.

I think that players tend to say you know because they're trying to, you know, come up with something to say, and, they need some filler while they are trying to come with, you know, what they want to, you know, say.

Does anyone else remember the show called "It's Like, You Know," starring Jennifer Grey. Too bad Jen Cap never appeared on it.
If it makes Jen feel any better, Lleyton Hewitt and Mark Philippoussis are just as bad when it comes to gratuitous usage of "you know", "like", and "I mean".
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #8
country flag Leo_DFP

Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute Leo_DFP has a reputation beyond repute
No. We deciphered on MTF that Federer said over 90 "you know's" in his interview after winning Wimbledon last year. It was ridiculous. How can anyone speak like that? Anyway, I encourage you all to look up the fabulous interview on wimbledon.org.
Leo_DFP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #9
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute
Cappy! Bring back the Biff!
pav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #10
country flag mn73

mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold
I think it is probably complete boredom at doing the one-millionth post match interview of your career and wanting to get home and have some lunch!

Jelena Jankovic : US Open finalist 2008 and World No. 1

Jennifer Capriati : 3 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1

[center]Rafael Nadal : 10 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1 [/center]
mn73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #11
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_DFP
No. We deciphered on MTF that Federer said over 90 "you know's" in his interview after winning Wimbledon last year. It was ridiculous. How can anyone speak like that? Anyway, I encourage you all to look up the fabulous interview on wimbledon.org.
aren't you a ferrero fan
anyway, he does say "you know" a lot, but comparing the interview you give after winning your first grandslam (which is a significantly longer interview-- tell me if i'm wrong) to just any other interview is a little unfair. players know that so much of what the say will be written about and their minds are all over the place.
but yea, he should tone down the "you know's" and monica needs to stop saying "oh, definitely"
faboozadoo15 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote