These kinds of mistakes happen all the time people! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #1
country flag adayinjune

adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point adayinjune is an unknown quantity at this point
These kinds of mistakes happen all the time people!

I was at a tourney watching Schiovone and Jidkova and the REAL score was 2-2 but the scoreboard and umpire said it was 4-1 or something like that. Jidkova/Schiovone caught it really late because they were counting the points in their mind and not using the scoreboard score .
adayinjune is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #2
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Not on live TV on centre court at Wimbledon.

Although, if this deflates them enough to move Wimby one week later in the schedule .....
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
It happened at the 99 French Open. The bad line call in the HIngis/Graf match.

If you think about it, bad line calls are really just the same situation.
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #4
country flag Jericho

Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute
ummm...no

Jericho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:36 AM   #5
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
This isn't any old tournament. WIMBLEDON ridicules players who don't
show up, and claim to be the biggest tennis event in the world for decades.
They also claim to be of more importance than any other grand slam or
any player in the draw.

Here's a novel idea, along with a new roof in 2007 how about
a computerized SCOREBOARD with lights?

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:55 AM   #6
country flag Fingon

Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenout
This isn't any old tournament. WIMBLEDON ridicules players who don't
show up, and claim to be the biggest tennis event in the world for decades.
They also claim to be of more importance than any other grand slam or
any player in the draw.

Here's a novel idea, along with a new roof in 2007 how about
a computerized SCOREBOARD with lights?
this happens, as somebody say, it's not different from a bad line call, it's only move obvious.

A computerized scoreboard would not make any difference, it's not about the scoreboard, which is quite simple really, it's the rules, it's the umpire who calls the points, the scoreboard merely reflects that. You could have the most sophisticated equipment and still, if the umpire messes up you will get the wrong score.

It's still a human decision, and humans make mistakes, all the time.
Fingon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #7
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingon
this happens, as somebody say, it's not different from a bad line call, it's only move obvious.

A computerized scoreboard would not make any difference, it's not about the scoreboard, which is quite simple really, it's the rules, it's the umpire who calls the points, the scoreboard merely reflects that. You could have the most sophisticated equipment and still, if the umpire messes up you will get the wrong score.

It's still a human decision, and humans make mistakes, all the time.

How about having a 2nd or 3rd chair umpire to help make decisions?

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #8
barmaid

barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L
It happened at the 99 French Open. The bad line call in the HIngis/Graf match.

If you think about it, bad line calls are really just the same situation.
It happens in baseball games, football games, hockey games in almost any competitive sport out there...and I agree missed line calls are equivolent..only the energy of a teenager who questioned the bad line call (Hingis) who knew she got a bad line call but in trying to make her case let her stubborness and immaturity get the better of her and she never let it go but she's not alone in at least TRYING to get the right call!!

barmaid
barmaid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:24 AM   #9
country flag Fingon

Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenout
How about having a 2nd or 3rd chair umpire to help make decisions?
there are people who help the umpire make the decisions, the line people, but you need the final decision in the hands of one person, that's because you need to give certainty and dynamic to the match.

Imagine if you have 3 umpires and they don't agree, what do you do? vote? what if it's a 2-1 decision? they would say it was a divided decision and could be wrong.

You also can't have it reviewed later, even with a tv camera, it would take away the follow up of the match, it would be like tape delayed. What if a player wins a point? maybe the match with that point and has to wait to see if the umpire overrules?

What if a player gets a match point? and plays thinking she has it and then it's overruled.

or a player saves a match point, then plays and wins the match to find out she really lost it?.

And you can't possibly interrupt the play on every important/controversial points to let the umpire check the tv screen, it would take the rhytm away and the matches would become dull.

I am a computer programmer and I love technology, but because I understand it I know it has limitations, a computer will never replace a human being, human beings make mistakes, computer have failures, software doesn't behave as you expect some times (just tell me, I was 2 hours trying to find a damn error and it was a stupid ">" that I have missed).
Fingon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote