Sveta articles - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #106
country flag skiingblueangel8

skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold skiingblueangel8 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks again for the scans, I'm really impressed that u translated all that writing.
I'm really grateful for all the work u put in
skiingblueangel8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #107
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Yes,it took me a long time but I thought it was interesting that other Sveta fans could read it as I found it a very good interview and I learned quite a few things I didn't know about her.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 03:01 AM   #108
country flag maryc

maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks again--so much--for the translation. It's a great interview,
and I can imagine how long it took you to do that. I really appreciate it,
though.

Mary
maryc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM   #109
country flag teleri

teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of teleri has much to be proud of
Thank you so much. I'm so glad to read this, since svetlana's articles are scarce.

I'm so proud of you!!
teleri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #110
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sveta articles

Kuznetsova keen on changes in womenís tennis

Stuttgart, Oct 25: The changes sweeping through women's tennis are music to the ears of world number four Svetlana Kuznetsova.

While other top players are cautious about plans to jazz up tournaments for spectators and television viewers, former U.S. Open champion Kuznetsova is right behind the innovations.

''I think it's very important to bring changes to the women's game, to bring more fans to the courts. I think we should try more new things,'' said Kuznetsova at the Stuttgart Grand Prix, where she was seeded second.

Some players are wary about being interviewed before they walk on court and having music playing during changeovers but the Russian believes they should make a sacrifice for the good of the game.

''I know some players are distracted by having an interview before the match but people like it and this (playing music) is something else they can do for the fans,'' she told reporters.

''I feel very strongly about that. Other sports have grown -- football, basketball, hockey -- and if we want to bring tennis to the same level or higher we also have to add other things.''

Bureau Report
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM   #111
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Kuznetsova can go far: Sanchez
Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova has all the ingredients to become the best tennis player on the women's tour, according to her coach.
Kuznetsova, a product of the high-profile Sanchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona, is presently Number 4 on the WTA Tour.
And her coach Emilio Sanchez taking part in The Legends Rock Dubai feels that she has all the qualities to be right on top of the standings.
"She is powerful, she is tough and she has been blessed with all the qualities to be the best in the world," Sanchez told Gulf News.
Sanchez and Sergio Casal created a new educational concept for young tennis players, in which they can simultaneously combine top-level sport training and pre-university studies in English.
And Kuznetsova started off with the academy from 13 years, and has stayed on with them. "This means she believes in us and in what we do," Sanchez said.
"She came as a 13-year-old and she still comes and trains whenever she is not playing in a tournament," he added.
If at all there is one impediment stopping Kuznetsova from achieving the top spot, it is her lack of mental aggression.
"She has the game and she has a good potential to win against any of the top player. But now, she only needs to improve on the mental aspect of her game," Sanchez suggested.
"Professional tennis is all mental nowadays. She has to play with more order, not make too many mistakes and be more efficient in her approach," he added.
Sanchez, who formerly travelled with this talented Russian a former US Open winner is convinced that Kuznetsova will scale the No 1 spot very soon. "The good thing about a sport like tennis is that there is always room for improvement. And at the level she is at, it is not only having the game, she also needs to improve the mental dimension," Sanchez stated.
Kuznetsova is not the only high-profile player moving through the Casal-Sanchez Academy. There are other hopefuls in the form of Scottish lad Andy Murray, Argentinean Juan Monaco and Gilles Muller from Luxembourg. "But she is right there at the top of the pile," Sanchez stated.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM   #112
country flag prowler

prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of prowler has much to be proud of

Thank you!

This makes me want to reiterate the fact that I am so so proud to be a supporter of Sveta!
prowler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #113
country flag Katha-Ger

Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice Katha-Ger is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Sveta articles

I just found a really nice and funny pre-YEC interview with Sveta online: YEC Special .

I hope you like it, too .
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #114
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #115
country flag goldenlox

http://www.svetlanakuznetsovafans.in.../index-old.htm

Times are changing for the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. Dominic Bliss assesses its innovations while Elena Dementieva and Svetlana Kuznetsova, two of the dominant Russians in the top ten, give their views

The Great Leap Forward

Thereís a revolution brewing in womenís tennis. Behind the scenes agitators are mustering the rebels and paving the way for major changes in the sport.
The Womenís Tennis Association has seen the success of electronic line-calling and modified doubles scoring in the menís game. Next year theyíll be watching closely the ATP experiments with round-robin tournament formats. Not to be left out, theyíve decided to implement a few changes of their own. The goal is a more entertaining Tour in tune with the digital age, and for the players a healthier, less injury-prone year.
For spectators, the most evident of the changes so far is on-court coaching which was tested at Montreal, New Haven, Stuttgart, Zurich, and Linz. At the start of the match each player was allowed to designate a coach who was then permitted to come courtside in between sets or during toilet breaks and medical time-outs to discuss tactics. Occasionally these discussions were broadcast on TV or to the stadium crowd.
ďI think itís great,Ē said Swiss player Martina Hingis. ďItís nice to have someone come out and sit on the chairs with you for the first time, to talk about how things are going, and get another opinion. Itís nice to try something different.Ē
Hawk-Eye, the electronic line-calling computer, is eyeing up the womenís game too. At several tournaments around the world women have been able to appeal against the decisions of the line judges. The system was first tried out at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami with young American players Jamea Jackson and Ashley Harkleroad the initial guinea pigs.
ďI was wrong,Ē said Jackson, who made history as the first woman ever to issue an appeal. ďI thought it was wide, but I wanted to try it. I wanted to be the first. Thatís what it was really all about.Ē
The ATP introduced a major change in doubles this year, modifying the scoring system in order to shorten matches and thereby encourage top singles players to compete in both codes. The WTA has decided to dip its toe in the same water. While it hasnít gone as far as replacing the third set with a super tiebreak, it has tried out the no-advantage rule Ė i.e. a sudden-death deciding point after deuce. Doubles players at Luxembourg, Guangzhou and Seoul took part in the experiment. Their reactions were mixed. Ď
Television has also benefited from innovations. At a handful of tournaments players conducted pre-match interviews to camera, while coaches sitting in the stands were asked to discuss tactics during breaks in play. Improved microphones in the umpiresí chairs allowed fans to eavesdrop on the (often colourful) conversations between players and the chair.
The WTA Tour sponsor Sony Ericsson is in no small part responsible for much of this innovation. As well as helping to implement many of the technological ideas, they have also used their expertise in communications to bring womenís tennis to a wider fanbase. Live scoring to mobile phones and the new multimedia section of the WTAís website are examples of this.
ďThese innovations represent part of the fulfilment of one of the central promises of
Sony Ericssonís $88-million title sponsorship of the tour.Ē said a WTA spokesman. ďTo make tennis more fan-friendly, interactive and innovative, through the intersection of sport with technology.Ē
The WTA president Stacey Allaster also stressed that she and her colleagues wanted to make womenís tennis ďas accessible, appealing and fan-friendly as possible.Ē
ďWe are working closely on a number of exciting initiatives that we believe will take womenís tennis another step forward in entertainment value.Ē
The most revolutionary of all these new initiatives was announced just last month: plans to shorten the WTA calendar. Currently the season runs from 1 January until mid-November Ė 45 weeks of hard graft and incessant air travel which, this year, resulted in record numbers of player injuries and withdrawals from tournaments. The WTA admits the season is ďtoo long and too gruellingĒ and hopes to trim it by a few weeks before the end of the decade.
Two players who know all about a gruelling schedule are Russiaís Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva, currently numbers 4 and 7 in the world. Assuming they both play their part in the season-ending WTA Championships in Madrid, Kuznetsova will this year have competed in 22 singles and nine doubles events, while Dementieva will have contested 21 singles, 12 doubles and two weeks of Fed Cup. Both Russians are opinionated when it comes to the new changes in the sport.
Here they talk exclusively to ACE about the changing world of womenís tennis.

Itís quite a revolutionary time for the sport. Are you happy with all the changes?
Kuznetsova: I feel like the WTA is really trying to take tennis to a different level. Itís not going to be the same classic sport any more. But I canít really complain because I have only been in the sport for a short while. I donít really have the right to say I want to keep everything the same. I think they should try new things. It makes it interesting for younger fans.

There are plans to shorten the tennis season. Surely no players are opposed to that?
Kuznetsova: I donít think thereís any player that doesnít agree with that. Right now, for example, my body feels really tired. And Iím only 21. Imagine what itís like for older players. But shortening the season is a big project. You canít do it immediately. There are a lot of sponsors and tournaments involved. But I would love to see the season shorter. I donít need a big break. Two months would be okay for me. Eight or ten weeks maybe. All of November and December off.
Dementieva: I donít think any players are against a shorter season. Itís an issue we have been talking about for a long, long time. We play so many tournaments throughout the year and we need a good long break at the end of the season to make sure that we all remain healthy. And to make sure we can play our best tennis every single tournament.
Look at other sports. Ice hockey, for example, has three months off. We have only one month and that includes the time we need to prepare for the new season. Two or three months off would be good.

Do you like the new on-court coaching rule?
Kuznetsova: I think itís something we should try. If the statistics show it is popular with spectators then itís good. There are other sports much more popular than tennis. Tennis needs to make changes to compete with them.
Dementieva: Itís great entertainment for the crowd. It would be very helpful for some young players. I donít think Iím personally going to use it.

Itís interesting that players can designate anyone Ė coach, parent, another player Ė as their coach.
Kuznetsova: Yes, itís funny because you can use your friends if you want. I personally wouldnít be able to do it for another player. I would feel ridiculous.
Elena Dementieva: Yes this is true. But at the same time I think opponents can really use it against you. They can see your match and hear what the coach is telling you. They can study your tactics. Especially if the coach is speaking in English. Itís often on a microphone and you can hear every single piece of advice that the coach gives the player.

Do you believe WTA players should be more militant in pushing for equal prize money at all tournaments?
Kuznetsova: I think we are doing great things in the womenís game and deserve equal prize money in all tournaments. I guess we should have more publicity about it and talk more in the press.
Dementieva: I donít know about being aggressive. We are doing our job the best way we can and we are playing great tennis. I think lots and lots of fans are coming to the Grand Slams because of womenís tennis.

Would you ever consider boycotting a tournament that refused to offer equal prize money?
Kuznetsova: Youíd really have to feel strongly about it to do this. If I saw many players doing it I would do it. But itís pretty hard to do it in the Grand Slams. Either you all do it or no one does it. If five of the top eight players agreed to do it then definitely Iíd think about it. The tournaments have to realise that without us they wouldnít earn any money.
Dementieva: No. I donít think a boycott is a good idea. Most tournaments understand that
it is important to pay equal prize money to men and women because womenís tennis is getting more and more popular around the world. Iím sure itís just a matter of time until thereís equal prize money. Iím sure one day weíll see it at Wimbledon as well.

The use of Hawk-Eye on line-call disputes seems to be very popular.
Kuznetsova: I like Hawk-Eye, for sure. I think itís very interesting for spectators and very helpful for players. Sometimes you get crazy about a call that happens in the first set and it affects your whole match. But now you can challenge it. I would love to have it at every tournament. But I understand itís very expensive.
Dementieva: I wish we could use it at every single tournament because itís very helpful for the players and for the umpire. Itís very difficult for umpires to stay focused during the three hours of the game. For sure we have little mistakes that happen during a match. Sometimes if it happens during the tiebreak it really can change around the whole situation and may even cause one player to win the match. Itís also very good entertainment for the spectators. There are a couple of seconds when they are waiting for the results: in or out? You can really feel the pressure.

The WTA has experimented with doubles scoring. You both play a lot of doubles. What do you think?
Kuznetsova: I think itís very good that theyíre trying to make doubles matches shorter. If they can get more top singles players to play, thatís good. I just cannot afford to play singles and doubles all the time. But if I know itís only two sets then Iíll play.
Dementieva: For players who want to play singles and doubles at the same event itís very important to make doubles shorter. The no-ad rule and dropping the third set for a super tiebreak are both good ideas.

There have recently been many positive drugs tests in menís tennis. Are you happy with how the womenís game is tested?
Dementieva: Yes, we have a lot of testing during the season and also in the off-season. I have never been tested off-season before, but we always have to complete papers saying where weíre going to be every single day so the testers can come whenever they want. You never know when theyíre going to come. I think thatís very good for the game.

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #116
country flag goldenlox

2006 SONY ERICSSON CHAMPIONSHIPS
MADRID, SPAIN

November 10 , 2006

M. SHARAPOVA/S. Kuznetsova
6-1, 6-4

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA

Q. What happened, you started with the tournament, two of the matches, and you're out of the competition, what happened on the week?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I'm happy the year is over. I mean my mistake was yesterday, it was not today. I mean Maria, she's in great shape of all the players for the moment. I was in (inaudible). She's here. It's normal in tennis. Her best surface is in [INAUDIBLE]. I had my chances. I didn't use them and it's normal you lose. But at least I've been playing somehow. But it's tennis, another day it's another one. But at least it was better than yesterday.

Q. What did you learn in the year in projection for 2007?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: So many things. I'm very happy because in 2005 was really disappointing and tough year. So I was in doubt how I'll play this year and I worked pretty hard to come back and it was tough changes for me. And I've been working a lot. I think I'm changing for the best, but still have lots of things to work.

Q. Now, holidays?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Yeah. Probably go to Spain to doctor to take my wisdom teeth out. So it's not nice, then I go to St. Petersburg. So I'm looking forward to seeing my family.

Q. (Spanish) Can you tell us something about how the tournament is accepted here in Spain? Can you tell us how the tournament has been welcomed here in Spain for the first time?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I've enjoyed it. I'd like to play better especially in Madrid. I've liked the organization. I'd like to achieve a better result next year. I've got many things to improve, especially for indoor matches. I need to work on that and try to improve for next year.

Q. Are you comfortable on the court?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: During the whole tournament, there's indoor court than clay court. To be sincere indoor court does not fit my game. And to play against high and tall players here it's difficult, but I think I've improved since 2005, I think in LA. I've had chances today but that time I lost.
I was way behind. Maybe yesterday I played a better match and things have been different, well clay would be a different match. I would love to play here on clay but this is what we have. I think I've improved my game even if it's indoor but I need to work hard to improve.

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #117
country flag goldenlox

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Svetlana Kuznetsova was forced to pull out of the Sydney International Tuesday after a respiratory problem left her gasping for air.

The Russian had lost the first set of her second-round match with Slovakia's Katarina Srebotnik 6-2 when she called it quits.
The world number four said she picked up an infection playing in Hong Kong last week that had left her with a croaky throat and struggling to breathe.
"It's really bad," she told a news conference. "I cannot do everything well.
"I just need to stop in the middle of the round to breathe, and my nose closes and I hear everything `ding dinging' in my ears. The blood is going up and I can't really focus with everything else."
Kuznetsova, US Open champion in 2004 and runner-up at the French Open last year, said she had considered pulling out of the match before it started but wanted to see how far she could push her body with the Australian Open less than a week away.
"My concern was if I can go on the court today or whether I should pull out before the match," she said.
"I did my best but I wasn't able to push my body to the max.
"I did not play for three days and I felt more or less good, but I just found it so difficult when you cannot breathe."
Kuznetsova said she opted against taking antibiotics to clear the infection and was hoping rest would ensure she makes it to the Open.
"I definitely will play the Australian Open but if I feel a bit like this I will push myself and maybe I will have to retire aga in," she said.
"I am really motivated to play. If I am the same way as I am today, I won't. But if I get better, I think I should."
World No2 Rafael Nadal also withdrew from the Sydney event with a leg injury in the first set of his opening match, throwing his Australian Open challenge into doubt.
The two-time French Open champion had treatment on his right thigh when trailing Australian Chris Guccione 4-3 and called it quits 5-6 behind on serve.
Nadal had lengthy treatment from a trainer before resuming but decided not to complete the match due to concern over the injury ahead of the season's first Grand Slam, which starts on Monday in Melbourne.
The 20-year-old Spaniard missed last year's Australian Open with a left foot injury but said he hoped to be fit within two days.
"I hope in two more days I will be 100 percent because I want to play the Australian Open, for sure," he said. "It's very important for me, and last year I can't play, and this year I want to play here; it's important, so I will try my best."
Nadal only arrived late Monday from India where he lost to Belgian Xavier Malisse 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) in the semifinals in Chennai.
"I have a problem here," he told reporters, pointing to his inner thigh. "I don't know why exactly. I really don't know when." Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan also pulled out of his match with Czech Ivo Minar when trailing 2-6, 0-3, complaining of pain in his right wrist.

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #118
country flag Foot's Fingers

Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute Foot's Fingers has a reputation beyond repute

Kuznetsova happy to double up
by Jennifer Witham
Wednesday, 17 January, 2007

On the first day of the doubles competition, Kuznetsova was forced to play both her second-round singles match and her first-round doubles match on the same day, resulting in her media commitments being pushed back to late in the afternoon.

Kuznetsova, who won 15 out of 21 doubles matches in 2006, wasted little time in dispatching Australian hope Monique Adamczak in her singles match in the morning before backing up to partner Hingis in their first doubles contest in the afternoon.

Hingis helped Kuznetsova to register her second victory of the day with a straight sets win over Jelena Jankovic and Janette Husarova, 7-5 6-1.

While to some, playing two matches in the space of one day would seem a demanding task, Kuznetsova says she has fun competing in both competitions, even when they are so close together.

"It's alright, you don't have to warm-up specially and tomorrow I have a day of rest," she said, after all of her playing commitments were taken care of on Wednesday.

"(Playing singles and doubles on the same day), it's alright with me. I can do it both ways.

"If I had to play just singles, I would then go home and rest, but like this, I had fun. I was already warmed up and I have time to recover so it's cool.

"I will practice tomorrow, I will warm up Martina for her match and then I will hit a little bit and then I will have some time to go to the movies and stuff."

Kuznetsova said the load of both singles and doubles doesn't get too difficult to manage as tournaments like Grand Slams progress, but admitted she wouldn't want to combine the two all year round.

"It's doesn't get too much in Grand Slams, I don't think so, but in the road through (the season), it gets a bit tough," she said.
Foot's Fingers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM   #119
country flag goldenlox

Kuznetsova Joins Dubai Field

Photo By Ron Angle By Tennis Week
01/22/2007

Svetlana Kuznetsova has beaten two top-ranked players in Dubai, reached one final and mined the local shops for diamonds. Next month, she will try to seize the jewel that is the Dubai championship. Kuznetsova, a 2004 finalist and 2006 semifinalist, confirmed she will return to the Dubai Duty Free Women's Open, which starts on Feb. 19.

The 2004 U.S. Open champion joins a field that features three-time champion Justine Henin-Hardenne and reigning U.S. Open champion Maria Sharapova.
"My favorite thing is to buy some diamonds," Kuznetsova said of her annual trip to the tournament. "I almost don’t do it because I see so many that I don’t know what to get. And I know some girls last year went to ski and play tennis on snow, so I’d like to go and do some snow boarding, just a little bit for fun. It’s different. I think it’s cool, and I’m looking forward to doing it this year."
Kuznetsova beat Venus Williams in the 2004 quarterfinals before bowing to Henin-Hardenne in the final. She defeated Amélie Mauresmo in the 2006 quarters before losing again to eventual-champion Henin-Hardenne in the semifinals of the Tier II event.
In 2005, Kuznetsova made headlines when she was upset by Sania Mirza in the opening round.
"I have good memories, even though I lost first round one year," said Kuznetsova. "My run-up to the top started there when I reached the final. I really enjoyed that week. Last year I beat Amélie Mauresmo there for the first time too, so I’ve always loved being in Dubai. I enjoy it a lot."
The third-seeded Russian reached the fourth round of the Australian Open, falling to 16th-seeded Shahar Peer, 6-4, 6-2.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM   #120
country flag goldenlox

Kuznetsova commits to Family Circle

The Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C.
Svetlana Kuznetsova, the U.S. Open champion in 2004 and a French Open finalist last year, will play in the Family Circle Cup this April, tournament officials said Tuesday.

It will be Kuznetsova's second consecutive appearance in the clay-court tournament at Family Circle Tennis Center on Daniel Island. Kuznetsova, currently ranked fourth in the world, reached the quarterfinals here last year.

Former Family Circle champs Justine Henin-Hardenne (2002, 2005) and Martina Hingis (1997, 1999) already committed to the tournament, along with standout Amelie Mauresmo.