Sveta articles - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #136
country flag maryc

maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sveta articles

Sveta lives in Monte Carlo now?
maryc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM   #137
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised reading this the other day.Today during her match against Azarenka,spanish commentor said she lives in Barcelona,but Montecarlo is her fiscal residence.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #138
country flag maryc

maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute maryc has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. So she must have an apartment in Monte Carlo. I didn't know that.
Thanks for the information!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM   #139
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Kuznetsova Continues to Roll

By Lisa Zimmerman
Monday, September 3, 2007

The fourth-round match between No. 4 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova and Victoria Azarenka started fast, with Kuznetsova up, 3-0, in just 10 minutes. Although things slowed a bit, the 2004 US Open women’s champion held on to win, 6-2, 6-3.
At the outset, Azarenka of Belarus, who upset No. 16 Martina Hingis in round three, had trouble staying consistent and was unable to put together any sort of an aggressive game.
The wind, which gusted strongly, was a hindrance to both players, both on serve and on certain strokes.
A business-like Kuznetsova, who was the first-ever Russian woman to win the US Open title, was back on Center Court for the second time this tournament and looked solid on her shots, hardly giving up a point, as she went up, 5-0. But, Azarenka hung in and, with a deft drop shot followed by a Kuznetsova misfire into the net, she won her first game, sarcastically raising her arms in victory.
Kuznetsova easily won the first set, turning to look at her supporters in her family box, clenching her fists before jogging back to her chair for the changeover.
The 18-year-old Azarenka seemed to find her footing and get more into a rhythm, ultimately getting her first break in the top of the second set. Now it was Kuznetsova’s turn to be back on her heels. But she soon stepped up her game, as her opponent continued to become more and more visibly animated with each winning point.
As the match wore on, Kuznetsova’s experience came even more into play. The 22-year-old was able to keep her focus, while Azarenka at points seem to waver. Azarenka challenged twice, winning one and losing one. Her second challenge was pivotal, as it won her the game to pull even at 3-3 in the second set.
But it was not Azarenka’s day. Although it took five attempts (on one she double-faulted and could only laugh), Kuznetsova finally came away with the win, moving on to the quarterfinal for the first time since her 2004 championship. She will next take on unseeded Agnes Szavay, currently ranked No. 31 in the world, who in the third round upset No. 7 seed Nadia Petrova.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM   #140
country flag Bероника

S. KUZNETSOVA/V. Azarenka

6-2, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions.
Q. I don't think a lot of people made you the favorite coming in. What did you feel coming in, what do you feel now about your chances?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: You know, trying just to take it game by game, match by match, not like thinking who says am I favorite or am I not. I'm feeling like getting better every match. So this is very important for me. I think this is what about during Grand Slams. You don't have to play unbelievable in first match, but as long as you go through, as soon as you go better and better, it's very important. I'm very confident about my game and looking forward for my next match.
Q. You played the long second game of the second set. After that you really put together a strong streak. Did you feel like she got fatigued or did you pick it up after that game?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, not at all. Not at all. Like because I think basically about the match, first set I think she been doing so many unforced errors. I mean, I had to stay focused and don't let her chances like to get in the match because from the start was very windy. I guess she was very nervous and she didn't know maybe how to control, so she was just missing all over the places. And in the second set, I knew I had to stay tough. I lost straightaway first game. I had chances to come back in second game. I lost it also. And then I said, Look, you just still have to play the same game to stay tough out there, and this is what I did. I think I just raised my game better in second set, and she was playing better than the first one.
Q. The other day Marat talked about being a former champion here. He said, What happens in the past, who cares. Do you feel like that or when you walk into this tournament you still have a sense of it's your house, too?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I mean, Marat is special person. I have so much respect for him. I think he's such an unbelievable athlete. His personality is very special. In some point I agree what he says, but then in some point I will never forget. It's not a thing to forget, winning a Grand Slam. It's not like nobody cares. At some point, I agree, it's in the past. But still I been honored to win here. It's only one Grand Slam I won so far. Definitely always good memories. Definitely I come here I think about it because it's not possible without it. I feel proud for what I've done. But it's in the past. I'm consistent, I have to do better in the future.
Q. All these young girls in this part of the draw, do you remember three years ago when you were one of these young girls?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, I don't take it at that. I'm just myself now. I'm experienced. I'm happy that I've been through what I've been. It's been some good and bad times. Just looking forward for each match I have. I guess for them is great opportunity for them to be there.
Q. What do you make of all these girls in the draw that are 18, 19? Is this an announcement from them they're ready to go deep in majors?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I don't know. I just think they have good opportunity. That's it.
Q. Can you talk about your fellow Russian Anna, in your half of the draw, assess her game.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Anna, I mean, she's tough player. She plays good. She's just coming up. She win two, three tournaments this year. She's very confident about her game.
Q. What do you like about her game?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I don't know. I not thinking. I don't know. She just good player. She is tough.
Q. What do you know about Szavay?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: She's tough. I played her last weekend. I think it's worked very good for me to play her. First set in New Haven, I never play her before, so I didn't know what to expect. I think now I know her game and I can prepare her better. I think it's very tough match. She's kind of black horse (sic), but I have to be tough out there. If I play my game, I have good chances.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #141
country flag Bероника

Kuznetsova to lead Russia in Fed Cup final v Italy

MOSCOW (Reuters) - World number four Svetlana Kuznetsova will lead a powerful Russian team in this month's Fed Cup final against champions Italy.
On Monday, Russia captain Shamil Tarpishchev named the 2004 U.S. Open champion along with world number six Anna Chakvetadze, world number eight Nadia Petrova and 56th-ranked Elena Vesnina for the Sept. 15-16 final at Moscow's Luzhniki arena.
Tarpishchev did not include world number two and 2006 U.S. Open champion Maria Sharapova, who pulled out of the July semi-final against the United States citing a shoulder injury.
"I feel it just wouldn't be right to invite Sharapova this time," Tarpishchev said after Russia beat a strong U.S. team, led by Wimbledon champion Venus Williams, 3-2 in Vermont.
With both Sharapova and Kuznetsova out injured, Chakvetadze, Petrova and Vesnina all played a key role in that victory.
Twice champions Russia are the favourites to beat last year's surprise winners Italy and regain the title they won in 2004 and 2005.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #142
country flag Bероника

Kuznetsova Rallies To Reach Final
By Lisa Zimmerman
Friday, September 7, 2007

It was the battle of the Russians, as No. 4 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova faced No. 6 Anna Chakvetadze. Kuznetsova outlasted her countrywoman to advance to the final, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.
In some ways, the two women are a study in contrasts, with the former US Open champion Kuznetsova trying to make her way back versus the up-and-comer Chakvetadze.
In the first set, neither woman was able to hold serve in the first three games, with Chakvetadze going up, 2-1. She then held and broke Kuznetsova again, taking a comfortable 4-1 lead.
The swirling wind, which provided a nice relief to those in the stands, created a hindrance for both players, making the ball difficult to judge. On one point, Chakvetadze missed the ball entirely, when the wind lifted it away from her.
Whether due to nerves or focus, Kuznetsova struggled with her game throughout the entire first set, not finding her groove at all. She seemed to have no control over any of her shots and became more and more visibly frustrated, at one point letting out a huge, frustrated yell at another lost point.
Kuznetsova, who had dropped only one set in the tournament before today's match (to Camille Pin in round two), subsequently complained to the umpire that all of the talking in the crowd was distracting her. However, even after the crowd was warned and quieted a bit, she still could not focus and gave the first set to her opponent, with a staggering 21 unforced errors.
In fact, after the match, speaking on court to Mary Joe Fernandez, Kuznetsova admitted she was embarrassed by her performance in the first set, saying she had played about as badly as she could have.
In the second set, Kuznetsova began to awaken and find her stride. While the match went steadily back and forth, Chakvetadze stuttered a bit, and Kuznetsova regained some control over her game. Falling into a split to return a ball, she managed not only to get it in but to recover in time to return again and win the point.
Up 5-1 in the second, Kuznetsova was now fully on the offensive, and the pace of the match picked up, as she won the next game to send the match into a third set.
With the temperature in the mid-80s (and higher on the court) with not a cloud in the sky, the umpire alerted the players and the crowd that the heat rule was in effect, and the players received a 10-minute break before the start of the third set.
Coming back out, Kuznetsova continued to put pressure on her 20-year-old opponent. As Kuznetsova broke to go up 3-1, Chakvetadze was clearly distraught and looked to be in tears.
When Kuznetsova took a 4-1 lead, she finally flashed the first smile of the match and, looking toward her family box, clenched her fist and nodded her head. Her opponent could not summon the strength to make a comeback, and Kuznetsova served out the set, sending herself to the US Open final for the second time in her career.
The 2004 US Open champion next faces either Justine Henin, who won the US Open title in 2003, or Venus Williams, the 2000 and 2001 winner, for the 2007 women’s title.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #143
country flag Bероника

S. KUZNETSOVA/A. Chakvetadze

3-6, 6-1, 6-1

THE MODERATOR: Questions.
Q. What made the difference between the first and second and third sets?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I guess when you put the ball in court, you win. When you hit it out, you lose. This is basically it. I was so nervous in the first set. I knew it was my opportunity. You know, I was so stuck there. I was just not doing anything at all. Every ball I hit, I hit it with the frame, the handle, somewhere out. Forehand. Didn't serve well. This was it. I was down one set, 1-Love, Love-40. I still was fighting. I would never give up. It was semifinal. It was not the best match I've played, but it was also great challenge to me. You know, I was talking to myself, say, Look, it's your challenge. You're losing, but you know you can do it, you know you can play better. You know if you do good basically you have to win. It's your challenge. You take it or you don't. So I did, and I'm really proud of my effort today.
Q. Why do you think you were nervous?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Semifinal of Grand Slam (smiling)? I mean, my last semifinal was one year ago in Paris. US Open is special to me, well, as any Grand Slam also. But, you know, it was great feeling to be out there. When I won it, I played semifinals against Lindsay when I had nothing to lose. Now I'm the favorite to be in the final, so this is what makes the pressure. Of course, pressure I put to myself because I think I'm good enough to be there.
Q. Do you think now because you're not going to be the favorite in the final will you feel less pressure?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I don't know. You know, it's pressure about what I put to myself. You know, I think after this week I gonna be No. 2 for the first time in my career. Really proud of my ranking. I'm really looking forward to play No. 1, Justine or either Venus who is playing one of the best tennis she played this year. The best player basically. Really I'm up to this challenge to play against the best players because I want to compete and try to be the best.
Q. How much better do you have to play tomorrow to win, regardless of who wins today?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, it's different, you know, because it's so much different because Anna's game is tough. With the wind she plays so flat. If the wind blows with your shot you have to take it early. If you play against the wind you have to play double. Tomorrow is just going to be very important to serve well.
Q. Do you root not to have to play the No. 1 player in the world?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, not at all. Not at all. I want to play the winner of this match. Who wins the match means the better player, and I would like to compete against the best player in the finals of the Grand Slam. It's really now what I live for. I play tennis every day. I wish to be in this final. I wish to challenge myself there.
Q. What kind of challenge will it be if it's Venus, knowing she'll have the crowd on her side?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Doesn't matter. It's even more challenge to me. It's not about the crowd and stuff.
Q. When you're struggling like that early and there's nerves, do you move your feet more? Do you try to hit more spin? Give yourself margin? How do you snap out of it?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, I just felt I didn't -- my feet was not moving because of my nerves. You know, everything was blocking by nerves. I was more tired because of the nerves, not because of physical thing, you know. I am pretty fit and I can play matches like that if I'm not nervous. When the nerves get in the middle it tough. I was just taking it as a challenge, you know. It's just basic match, but on the other side is a pressure match because I was the favorite and I had good chances to be in the final. I was just saying, you know, you got to take the challenge and you just gonna say, No, no. I'm playing bad so today I lose. So I didn't do that and I was fighting. It's like one hour or two hours match. Maybe one set goes wrong I always have the chance to come back. What is beautiful about tennis is that.
Q. Is it more difficult to get into a rhythm against her?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, not really.
Q. Were you surprised she didn't come out more nervous?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, you never know if she was nervous or not. The first set I didn't even let her play because I was playing against myself. I was just doing mistakes and stuff. I don't know how she was feeling.
Q. Were you expecting a tougher fight in the third set?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Second set I already played okay, you know. Third set it was tough because I was a break down I think or something like that. Maybe not. I don't remember. But anyway, I don't know, I played good second set. I knew if I keep going I gonna win. I felt like I was in control of the match.
Q. Do you think your game matches up with one of those guys better than the other? Do you feel more comfortable against Justine or Venus?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I have not think about it at all. It takes time. I don't want to think about it because you want one of them to win more or less. I don't want to think about it. I just want to play the player who wins, that's it.
Q. You said your win in 2004 seemed very far away. Is it all coming back to you now?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: It feels like now I knew -- I felt really low after I won here and then I lost next round. I was really down on myself. Now I realize how much effort it took me to be here again. I went through difficult times. Now I'm back here. I gonna have another chance, another opportunity to play against best player tomorrow. It just great. I really appreciate for myself and my team who work with me what I've done. I came back to this level. This is what I really think so.
Q. Will you watch this match?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No. I gonna eat, have massage. I gonna relax. I know like how they play. I don't want to watch.
Q. How confident are you to win tomorrow?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I don't want to think about the win or lose. I just gonna go out there and enjoy the final. To play in the night I have not had one match on Ashe on the night yet. I played a little bit late with the lights, but I really didn't have night match yet. Just, you know, the opportunity for me to play a great final. I just gonna give my best. Doesn't depend on me if I win or lose. Of course, it does, but on the other player also.
Q. Do you have your hat picked out for your next press conference?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I'm not doing this. I'm not doing this. I wake up every day. I do things as I feel. I don't plan for the future what clothes are going to go and stuff.
Q. Is being No. 1 a goal you've had for a long time, or is it more of a target that you're getting close?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: You play tennis for some reasons. It's not like I wanted to be No. 1 since I was three years old. But when I start playing good tennis, it's definitely one of your goals. When you win a Grand Slam you got to set another goal. If it's No. 1, definitely it's going to be No. 1 because there is pretty much no other goals. It's for a time, but not for ages.
Q. Does being No. 2 sharpen your desire?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Yeah, because it's pretty close. In the rankings, it's pretty far.
Q. What is it about the US Open that brings out the best in you?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I don't know. I just really feel -- yesterday some journalist came to me and asked, How do I like the crowd? Because some players complain about the crowd. I said, You know what, it's one of my favorite crowds of everywhere. I love French Open. It's real close to me. I would love to win it one day. US Open and French is my favorite tournaments. But there sometimes you don't know if crowd going to whistle you or they gonna say something. You never know. But here, it's just kind of showtime, you know. The crowd is always crazy. It's always nice. It pumps me up. This is what I like about it, you know, because sometimes you don't have to be American to be favorite. Of course, I mean, you guys love here American people a lot, from your country, but still people are so open minded from different countries, and it's unbelievable to be here. It's something really strange. Many surprises happens, and I love that.
Q. Is it important to give the crowd a smile so they get on your side?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, some players do so. Well, whenever I'm playing I'm not focused of what crowd gonna think. I'm trying to be myself. Definitely I would never be mean to the crowd. But there is two ways: either they like it or they don't. I'm not gonna do something ugly so they gonna whistle me for sure because I'm not stupid. Then, you know, I don't know, I just feel comfortable to play here.

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #144
country flag Jenny.C.Fan

Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Miss you JENNY and GUGA
GO Amelie,Sveta,Patty,Ana
Go A-rod,Marat, Rafa,Robby,Andy,Taylor, Juan Carlos,Nole

Liverpool FC Xabi EL Nino

Blog Here
Jenny.C.Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #145
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Kuznetova Fights Through Nerves To Reach U.S. Open Final

By Richard Pagliaro
09/09/2007

Svetlana Kuznetsova plopped into her court-side seat and pounded her palms on the arms of the director's chair with the frustrated force of a woman on the brink of a physical break point.
A tight, tense Kuznetsova had just staggered through the sloppiest stretch of tennis she played during this U.S. Open and as she found herself down a set to Anna Chakvetadze in today's all-Russian semifinal, Kuznetsova's hopes of advancing to the final seemed as shaky as her seat creaking like an aging rocking chair left on a ledge.
It was then that Kuznetsova took a trip to the tennis lost and found: leaving the memories of a miserable start she called "embarrassing" on the sidelines, the fourth seed found her forehand and form and reeled off 12 of the next 13 games to roll over a rattled Chakvetadze, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1, into her second U.S. Open final in the past four years.
Succumbing to a severe case of nerves in the first set, that made finding the center of the strings a challenge for the two-time Grand Slam finalist, Kuznetsova kept fighting and eventually put her cracked confidence back together shot-by-shot to spark her comeback against an opponent wound tighter than the blond braid bouncing off her back.
"I guess when you put the ball in the court, you win. When you hit it out, you lose," a philosophical Kuznetsova said after her comeback. "This is basically it. I was so nervous in the first set. I knew it was my opportunity. I was so stuck there. I was not doing anything at all. Every ball I hit, I hit with the frame, the handle, somewhere out...You know if you do good basically you have to win. It's your challenge. You take it or you don't. So I did and I'm really proud of my effort today."
The 2004 U.S. Open champion will face top-seeded Justine Henin, the reigning Roland Garros champion, who beat 12th-seeded Venus Williams, 7-6(2), 6-4, in the second semifinal, in tomorrow's 8 p.m. prime-time final. Given the fact Henin is 14-2 lifetime vs. Kuznetsova, it doesn't take a psychic to figure out Kuznetsova would have been more comfortable playing Williams, with whom she has split six meetings, but Kuznetsova claims she wants a shot at the world's the best.
"Who wins the match means the better player and I would like to compete against the best player in the finals of a Grand Slam," said Kuznetsova, who defeated compatriot Elena Dementieva in the 2004 U.S. Open final. "It's really now what I live for. I play tennis every day. It's even more challenge to me. I wish to be in this final. I wish to challenge myself there."
She's already overcome the ignominious distinction of being the first and only defending U.S. Open champion to fall in the first round when she crashed out of the opening round in 2005 and ended the season ranked No. 18. Rebounding from that career low point, Kuznetsova has reached two major finals in her last seven Grand Slam appearances and will rise to World No. 2 when the new Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings are released on Monday.
"I felt really low here after I won here and then lost the next round. I was really down on myself," Kuznetsova said. "Now I realize how much effort it took me to be here again. I went through difficult times. Now I'm back here. I gonna have another chance, another opportunity to play against the best player tomorrow. It is just great."
While she will take the court as an immense underdog against a woman who has an edge in virtually every facet of the game, the fact that Kuznetsova will face markedly less pressure tomorrow night than she endured today could conceivably compel her to play much cleaner tennis. That's not to say she will win the match — Henin will have to be off her game and Kuznetsova would have to elevate her level of play significantly — but she should compete much better in the final than she did today and if Kuznetsova can let her forehand fly without inhibition she could keep the match close.
Kuznetsova spent the first half hour today engaged in a fight on three fronts: battling herself, the conditions and Chakvetadze. It was such an unsightly match featuring both women scattering shots that strayed beyond the sidelines, you half expected chair umpire Lynn Welch to issue code violation warnings for littering the court or summon Band-Aids for the balls which bore the brunt of some brutal mis-hits and frame jobs.
"The first set, I didn't even let her play because I was playing against myself," Kuznetsova said. "I was just doing mistakes and stuff."
Nerves gnawing away at both women amid a swirling wind made finding the lines as easy as locating a sliver of scotch tape lost in in the fountain outside Arthur Ashe Stadium. The pair combined to cram 81 unforced errors (46 by Chakvetadze and 35 by Kuznetsova) and 13 service breaks into one hour and 36 minutes of play that must have felt like an eternity to the 20-year-old Chakvetadze, who was competing in her first Grand Slam semifinal.
Disguise is one of the key components to Chakvetadze's game: she anticipates shots so shrewdly and takes the ball so early opponents can find reading the Moscow native's shots can be as easy as deciphering a message scrawled across the surface of a lake. But Chakvetadze made no effort to conceal her complete disgust with her performance today. Resting her chin on her right hand, Chakvetadze summed up her collapse succinctly in her post-match press conference.
"I just played horrible," Chakvetadze said. "I didn't expect it would be such a turnaround after this first set. I just couldn't put the ball in the court. It's a very disappointing match for me. I didn't know what I did do."
At the outset, Chakvetadze did not choke and her ability to keep the ball in play allowed Kuznetsova, whose feet seemed stuck to the surface of the blue court as if competing on fly paper, to implode in committing 21 of her 35 errors in the opening set that saw Chakvetadze seize a 5-1 lead. Kuznetsova handed her the set bouncing a double fault off the top of the tape that went long.
Rather than looking to land shots in the corners, Kuznetsova responded to her shaky start by seeking closure in the center of the court and in the end she found something even more substantial: her confidence. Well aware she was hitting herself right out of the tournament, Kuznetsova implored herself to keep fighting and eventually talked her way right back into the match. "I was talking to myself, say, 'Look, it's your challenge. You're losing, but you know you can do it. You know you can play better,' " Kuznetsova said. "My feet was not moving because of the nerves. Everything was blocked by nerves. I was more tired because of nerves not because of the physical think. I am pretty fit and I can play matches like that if I'm not nervous. When nerves get in the middle it's tough. I was just taking it as a challenge. It's a basic match, but on the other side it is a pressure match because I was the favorite and had a good chance to be in the final." Finding a way to win when not playing well is the mark of a champion, but Kuznetsova's plight was more simple: she was simply searching for a way to compete. After losing the first game of the second set, Kuznetsova fought off four break points at 0-1 of the second set. Punctuating a potent down the line drive with a clenched fist and a cry of "Yeah!", Kuznetsova fired her favored forehand down the line again to hold for 1-1. That shot sparked the first Russian woman to win the U.S. Open. Consecutive double faults from Chakvetadze gave Kuznetsova the break and a 2-1 lead and she surged forward with the momentum, seizing 19 of 22 points in a sustained stretch of offensive play to extend her advantage. An errant Chakvetadze forehand gave Kuznetsova double set point. Two points later, Chakvetadze bashed a backhand so wildly wild it nearly knocked the microphone off chair umpire Welch's perch.
"It was tough conditions because it was very windy," Chakvetadze said. "I couldn't handle the wind."
Things got so bad for Chakvetadze she actually whiffed on an overhead at one point, recovering to run around the miss and belt a backhand, which she mis-hit deep. The 10-minute break before the final set due to the heat did not deter Kuznetsova who earned a commanding lead at 4-1 when Chakvetadze missed an open court forehand.
Chakvetadze, who played such beautifully controlled tennis in tearing through the draw without dropping a set, was emotionally overwhelmed at that point and spent the ensuing changeover burying her head in her towel pinching back tears of frustration. She couldn't wipe away error of her ways and when her backhand — her best shot — sailed wide, Kuznetsova broke for 5-1. A Kuznetsova forehand volley winner brought her to double match point at 40-15. A beaten Chakvetadze blocked a backhand wide as Kuznetsova completed her comeback to reach the final.
When they wake up Monday morning, Chakvetadze will rise to number five in the world, while Kuznetsova will stand as the world's number 2 player when the new WTA Tour rankings are released. The woman for the affinity for wearing multi-colored New York Yankees cats throughout this U.S. Open (the morose Yankees have hardly ever looked as colorful as their logo does perched on Kuznetsova's head) now hopes to cap off her return to the Flushing Meadows final by holding up the shiny silver U.S. Open championship trophy tomorrow night. If she wins, the top spot in the rankings looms as an enticing future goal.
"You play tennis for some reasons. It's not like I wanted to be number once since I was three years old," Kuznetsova said. "But when I start playing good tennis it's definitely one of your goals. When you win a Grand Slam you got to set another goal. If it's number one, definitely it's going to be number one because there is pretty much no other goals. It's for time, but not for the ages."
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #146
country flag Bероника

J. HENIN/S. Kuznetsova

6‑1, 6‑3
Q. Can you talk about how nervous you were at the beginning? Were you very nervous? How did you experience that?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: You know, it's very tough. I think the match was much closer than the score, for sure. And, you know, like I always say that ‑‑ and I'm gonna say it once more. To beat Justine, she's No. 1. When she plays her best game I have to play my best game. I didn't play my best game so that's why I lost. And I had so many opportunities ‑‑ not so many, but with these players like her, so high level, you just have few opportunities, not many. If you don't use them, there's no way I gonna win. I had so many of them. I felt I just didn't move to the ball well enough because I was pretty tight. So I think I got to learn a lot out of this final and just see ‑‑ take many times and improve it. There is something about my game I have to work.

Q. She's had moments in the recent past where as great as she is, she'll get a little conservative at times, mental lapses. Is she at a point now where she's not going to have any mental lapses, because she seems so aggressive?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, I'm not agree about it. We're not machines. Everybody, we're players. We are humans. And she is also, you know. She is No. 1 now and I think she deserves it. She works very hard to receive. She's very professional. She still had some ups and downs today, and I just didn't use it, you know.

Q. Considering you didn't play much in the summer after Wimbledon, was this a surprise to get as far as you did? Did you expect to play well?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: You know, I didn't play many tournaments, but I did train a lot, you know. I really trained hard. I was improving some things. But next step I have to do some improve during the matches, you know. It's not about the training on the court. Just when I go to play finals I wish I play at my best, and today I didn't do so.

Q. Do you feel like the No. 2 player in the world, which is what you'll be on Monday?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: It's very hard to say, you know, because I think player No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, it's not about only ‑‑ some people Justine, because of the quality, you know, she's No. 1. She has unbelievable quality. Like you take another player like consistency, like Jelena, you know, if I'm there, the system is like that, I think I deserve it.

Q. What's the toughest part about playing Justine?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I've been asked the question just now about if she gets a lead she sometimes get a little bit weak. But for me it's tough. Like you get a little bit ‑‑ like she get a little bit like a break or something, I think she's getting more relaxed and she plays better. This is very tough. She play pretty unusual game. I didn't play nobody like that in this tournament. All the girls I play play totally different tennis.

Q. Are you going to train tonight? I know you like to hit the ball after the game.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, no, no. I went to hit in 2004 because I had doubles next day. I hope to have few days off.

Q. Would it be a good comparison if we say that Justine plays like Roger?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I don't know. I think women and men, you can't compare. I don't know, no? I don't know. I think she No. 1. She deserve it. For me, I mean, Roger, he has all the records possible. I think it's a bit different. Justine, she's No. 1. athlete. She deserve it.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #147
country flag Bероника

Brilliant Kuznetsova overpowers Santangelo

Svetlana Kuznetsova was on top form to put Russia 2-0 ahead against Italy in the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas 2007 Final.

Fresh off the back of reaching the US Open, Kuznetsova defeated World No. 34 Mara Santangelo 61 62 in under an hour, overpowering the Italian from the very first point. Santangelo was on the back foot immediately as Kuznetsova broke her serve in the second game with a series of powerful backhands. This was a constant theme all the way through the match, with the Russian hitting five times more winning returns than her opponent.

The World No. 2 was also relentless in her serving, winning 90% of her first serve points, which included eight aces. With Kuznetsova playing in this manner, it was always going to be hard for the Italian, who was under constant pressure. She made a series of unforced errors, which certainly didn’t help her cause and her backhand also wasn’t working as it can, hitting the ball very flatly and with little top spin. Kutnetsova was completely the opposite, varying her pace and hitting a perfect length. Santangelo also didn’t seem to have a plan B and persisted with the same tactics through the whole match, staying rooted to the baseline.

“I was always under pressure and she played very very good today. She was just far too good for me today”, said Santangelo.

Kuznetsova was in vibrant form for this rubber and was nothing short of relentless against the Italian.

“That was not easy today and is a big plus for me. I played well on certain points and I’m in good shape at the moment. I was really ready for this and I always give my opponents as less chance as possible”, commented Kuznetsova.

Kuznetsova also acknowledged the vocal support she received during the match from the local Moscovites and her teammates, making special mention to Maria Sharapova who was watching from the team bench.

It doesn’t bode well for the rest of the tie for the Italians with Kuznetsova in this frame of mind and the Russians will be looking to wrap things, first thing on Sunday. “For tomorrow I will be ready, we want to fight all together.” If successful, this will be their third victory in four years.

As for the Italians, there have only been three comebacks from 0-2 since the best-of-five format was adopted for Fed Cup World Group matches in 1995, so its going to be a mountain to climb. Italian captain Corrado Barazzutti was realistic when asked about his side chances for tomorrow, saying, “I think it will very very difficult from this position, but we will try. Players know they have to fight.”
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #148
country flag maryc

Not an article, per se, but more of an advertisement:

http://www.howdoyoufila.com/svetlana.php
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #149
country flag Jenny.C.Fan

Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute Jenny.C.Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Miss you JENNY and GUGA
GO Amelie,Sveta,Patty,Ana
Go A-rod,Marat, Rafa,Robby,Andy,Taylor, Juan Carlos,Nole

Liverpool FC Xabi EL Nino

Blog Here
Jenny.C.Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #150
country flag 1000

1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold 1000 is a splendid one to behold

Good job Sveta on your Fed Cup heroics