Margaret Court's Serve - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #16
country flag samn
Senior Member
 
samn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 2,965
samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Unlike many posters here, I can actually take it- so fire away. I've got quite a streak of my own, mind you!
No, your comment just brought back memories of my friend from school who used to call Stefan Edberg "Sweet Buns", much to her mother's consternation. Needless to say, my undisguised amusement over all this made her mother think of me as a bad influence on her own "sweet one". BTW HanaFanGA, this is the same friend who's adopted your "Slavic Princess" moniker.
__________________
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #17
country flag HanaFanGA
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,457
HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
No, your comment just brought back memories of my friend from school who used to call Stefan Edberg "Sweet Buns", much to her mother's consternation. Needless to say, my undisguised amusement over all this made her mother think of me as a bad influence on her own "sweet one". BTW HanaFanGA, this is the same friend who's adopted your "Slavic Princess" moniker.
Samn, as far as I can tell you're about as mild mannered as they come. I can't imagine that you're a bad influence on anyone. But if you had anything to do with "Sweet Buns" I can't blame you!!!

Hmmmm I just thought of something. Sweet Buns and the Slavic Princess would've made one heck of a doubles team!
HanaFanGA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #18
country flag samn
Senior Member
 
samn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 2,965
samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA
Samn, as far as I can tell you're about as mild mannered as they come. I can't imagine that you're a bad influence on anyone. But if you had anything to do with "Sweet Buns" I can't blame you!!!

Hmmmm I just thought of something. Sweet Buns and the Slavic Princess would've made one heck of a doubles team!
God, I had nothing to do with "Sweet Buns", I swear. I just always encouraged my friend to speak her mind, and I never concealed my amusement when she ruffled a few feathers by doing so. Her mom blamed me partly because she thought I was making my friend spend too much time watching tennis. And the fact that I was an Edberg fan might have factored in somewhere as well, I think. I just have to tell my friend that you think I'm mild-mannered. She'll be in splits.

Yes, poor ol' Sweet Buns (I wonder if the Hall of Fame will give them a special exhibit) and the Slavic Princess would have made one of the most artistic doubles teams ever.
__________________
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #19
country flag HanaFanGA
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,457
HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
God, I had nothing to do with "Sweet Buns", I swear. I just always encouraged my friend to speak her mind, and I never concealed my amusement when she ruffled a few feathers by doing so. Her mom blamed me partly because she thought I was making my friend spend too much time watching tennis. And the fact that I was an Edberg fan might have factored in somewhere as well, I think. I just have to tell my friend that you think I'm mild-mannered. She'll be in splits.

Yes, poor ol' Sweet Buns (I wonder if the Hall of Fame will give them a special exhibit) and the Slavic Princess would have made one of the most artistic doubles teams ever.

I think she should have shown her mother Edburg's "Sweet Buns" and the mother would have been watching tennis too So you're not mild mannered, eh? A little mischief never hurts!
HanaFanGA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #20
tilden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 103
tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I can't say that I saw her in her prime, however, I do have a couple matches on video, and she does leap on her overheads. I think that particular photo you have is from the 1970 Wimbledon Final versus Billie Jean King. On one point during the 1973 USO semi versus Evert (who gave her tons of lobs) she actually leaps twice to reach two separate backhand overheads in the same point if you can believe it. She was a great athlete- the best in the women's field during her playing days.

That photo of Margaret looks like it is "indoors" alfa, and definitely not 1970. Margaret didn't start winning the Tinling big collars until 1973. She was definitely a Fred Perry skirts and tops girl before that. I think the photo is from some US city during the 1973 Virginia Slims season.
tilden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #21
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilden
That photo of Margaret looks like it is "indoors" alfa, and definitely not 1970. Margaret didn't start winning the Tinling big collars until 1973. She was definitely a Fred Perry skirts and tops girl before that. I think the photo is from some US city during the 1973 Virginia Slims season.
You're right- very observant of you Tilden. During the 73 USO semi against Evert, both Jack Kramer and Julie Heldman commented on the big collars, and Julie noted that Margaret actually had a hand in creating that look with Tinling. It's a funny piece, actually, because Jack then mentions that it seems like the collar "would be cumbersome"!

Any news or headlines recently from Margaret Court down under, Tilden?
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios