Question for the NBA experts - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #1
country flag Fingon

Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute
Question for the NBA experts

I really don't know much, and haven't seen much. I enjoy the game more and more but I am still a little

My question can seem silly but I really find it strange.

I think it's know that most of the NBA big stars are black. Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Wallace, Carter, McGrady, Iverson, etc.

There are and there have been some great white players but most of the great ones are black.

Now, when I look at the coaches, they are all white. I don't know if it's just me, or just the game where I pay attention to the coach, but it seems there is a big majority of white coaches.

Am I right? and if yes, why is it like that?
Fingon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #2
country flag Fingon

Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute
*bump*
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #3
country flag Shuji Shuriken
Team WTAworld

Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute
yes Fingon....it would appear that most of the coaches in the NBA are white. Why? I don't know .

Brandysan's Keeper

l[l

Venussan #1 Fan
Serenasan Warrior Princess

http://www.myspace.com/keimodarkheart
Shuji Shuriken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 03:04 AM   #4
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Black men were thought not to have the mental capacity to be a great coach. It's definitely changing some now though.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #5
country flag Black Mamba.

Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute
In the NBA just like the NFlL Black coaches tend to get less repect than White coaches why I don't know. However, I do know that NBA athletes have way more power than the coaches so that means if the star player doesn;t like the coach the coach will get fired ie..... Jason Kidd getting Byron Scott fired. This means that the coaching position isn't the most desirable. In fact I think coaching college kids is where it's at you get paid almost as much as NBA coaches, but they have more power over the players and the team with the most talent usually wins.
Black Mamba. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:15 AM   #6
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
Black coaches do a lot better in the NBA than other sports. The NFL seems to be annually at about 3-4 black coaches, whereas without knowing specifics I'd figure the NBA for 7-8. Of course, as you said, there WERE great white players in the past, many of them are this generations coaches. The next generation of coaches will be primarily black, I think.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #7
country flag Fingon

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
Black coaches do a lot better in the NBA than other sports. The NFL seems to be annually at about 3-4 black coaches, whereas without knowing specifics I'd figure the NBA for 7-8. Of course, as you said, there WERE great white players in the past, many of them are this generations coaches. The next generation of coaches will be primarily black, I think.
yes, I think you might be right.

I know that being a great player doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be a good coach. In all sports often the most talented players are poor coaches and the good coaches have been mediocre players.

So I am not saying that because black players are more talented they will be better coaches, but I find it strange that while most players are indeed black, the coaches aren't, you would think that in terms of percentages there would be more black coaches but it's not the case.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #8
country flag Fingon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
Black men were thought not to have the mental capacity to be a great coach. It's definitely changing some now though.
yes, I guess that's part of the reason,

are you sure it's changing? the Lakers, the Timberwolves, the Pacers, the Pistons (the four finalists) all have white coaches
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #9
country flag Fingon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerulz
In the NBA just like the NFlL Black coaches tend to get less repect than White coaches why I don't know. However, I do know that NBA athletes have way more power than the coaches so that means if the star player doesn;t like the coach the coach will get fired ie..... Jason Kidd getting Byron Scott fired. This means that the coaching position isn't the most desirable. In fact I think coaching college kids is where it's at you get paid almost as much as NBA coaches, but they have more power over the players and the team with the most talent usually wins.
well, at the end of the day, a coach can only make good players play well.

Coaches many times complain that when they win it's because of the players and when they lose it's because of them. In a good team that's normally true, without the right players, the best coach in the world won't do much, but in a great team, a bad coach can make them lose.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #10
country flag DunkMachine

DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingon
I really don't know much, and haven't seen much. I enjoy the game more and more but I am still a little

My question can seem silly but I really find it strange.

I think it's know that most of the NBA big stars are black. Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Wallace, Carter, McGrady, Iverson, etc.

There are and there have been some great white players but most of the great ones are black.

Now, when I look at the coaches, they are all white. I don't know if it's just me, or just the game where I pay attention to the coach, but it seems there is a big majority of white coaches.

Am I right? and if yes, why is it like that?
Blacks are the best athletes, any other questions?
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #11
country flag bee

bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all
White men can't play.. so they just do the next best thing which is to coach...
bee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #12
Ballbuster
Banned

Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee
White men can't play.. so they just do the next best thing which is to coach...

Now days the former superstar players wants the top Management spot, The President of the Organization. ESPN did a profile on NBA coaches, they work on average of 18 hours a day. I'm sure former players don't want to continue their lives like this. Besides, you gotta have some form of token white man around to lend the game some credibility.
Ballbuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #13
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingon
yes, I guess that's part of the reason,

are you sure it's changing? the Lakers, the Timberwolves, the Pacers, the Pistons (the four finalists) all have white coaches
They also have the best teams too. Yeah I think it is changing, it's hard to say 100% because I won't know everytime that a more qualified black coach is passed over, but it seems like black coaches are getting close to getting a fair shake in the NBA.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote