ESPN, Match Point Serena/Jen etc. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:18 PM   #1
VS Fan

VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold
ESPN, Match Point Serena/Jen etc.

I, like most ordinary folks had to work on Tuesday, and depended on TV guide and ESPN to show tennis according to the schedules they posted prior to Tuesday. Except for the first part, Serena, match COULD have been shown LIVE on Tuesday. I though they would show this match and just maybe peek in on Venus' match.

Of course, while at work I followed the scores in the IBM realtime scoreboard and knew the result before I came home. To my dismay they showed an earlier match taped, then showed most of Venus match live, then showed Mauresmo's match. While the schedule called for Tennis on ESN at 12:00 Noon, they changed the program to other sports. In the 8 to 12 Segment the scroll thad they would show the Serena / Jen match at 3 PM. My second VCR ran out of tape with only a few points played. I was PI**ED.

ESPN really makes me mad when they change thier posted schedule on the fly.

Well I found they were going to show highlights at 10 PM, so I set the VCR.

I got the first set, a few highlights of the second and then the third set, so all was not lost.

Now, to the second point of this post. The MATCH point was really crazy.

As much as I love Serena, the ball clearly landed on the line, which is why Serena netted it. (The ball skidded making her swing too high) The linesman must have been looking at Serena's ASS rather than the ball.

The chair umpire ruled that the shot was good, but because the linesman called it out, they had to replay the point. Had he thought it out it would have been DEUCE. This CLEARLY shows that Serena also KNEW the ball was good, because she did not protest the replay call.

Jen had to win TWO match points in succession to win this match... incredible.

Addendum: It is nice to see Jen and Serena frendly at the net.
VS Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Ballbuster
Banned

Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS Fan
Addendum: It is nice to see Jen and Serena frendly at the net.

and that probably why she keeps getting her ass kicked by Jen. Hopefully, this type of pleasantry will stop.
Ballbuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:41 PM   #3
country flag Jericho

Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute
I'm telling you guys, Capriati and Serena had a pre-arranged agreement...Serena let Capriati win if she convinced Matthew Perry to give a role to Serena in the upcoming Friends Reunion special

Jericho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:02 AM   #4
country flag RainyDays
Registered 1

RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold RainyDays is a splendid one to behold
Hm well, atleast they both seemed to be understanding when they had to reply the point. LMAO did you see stefano get all pissed?

Damn I wish Richard would attend these things more often.

back to the topic.....yes, Serena and Cap i think have like mutual respect for each other now. it's nice to see them being so friendly, because i remember when Cap would absolutely LOSE her temper when she was losing to Rena and then just do the shake at the net and get the hell off the court.

so yes, this new-found respect for each other makes me smile.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:26 AM   #5
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
Serena the hypocryte. But no one's making a big deal of THAT issue .(JHH didn't tell ump that she put her hand up; Serena didn't tell ump that ball was clearly good)
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:42 AM   #6
country flag Jarrett
Don't mess with Texas!

Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of
The ball was good. Serena heard "out" from the judge and I think it affected her shot. That is why they replayed the point. At least that is my view on the situation.
"Gee, Quinn... I hope that little foray of yours into Geekland just now is the result of heat exhaustion, and not an unpleasant side effect of all that tutoring. I mean, you're not turning into a brain, are you?" -- Sandi

Jarrett is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:31 AM   #7
country flag LeonHart

LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute
No, when the ball skidded on the line, Serena pointed her fingers out as if to show that it was out. When Jen came up to the net to see if the ball was out, the umpire told her it was in, and they were to replay the point. I really wonder, if Jen was to choke because of that, how much controversy it would cause. Would they implement the "shot-spot" for the umpire? Who knows.

Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru

Martina I will miss you!!
LeonHart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:33 AM   #8
country flag XaDavK_Kapri

XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuVenuSerena
I'm telling you guys, Capriati and Serena had a pre-arranged agreement...Serena let Capriati win if she convinced Matthew Perry to give a role to Serena in the upcoming Friends Reunion special
XaDavK_Kapri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:39 AM   #9
country flag XaDavK_Kapri

XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck
We would hear about that for the next 10 years.

I mean... Imagine how bad it would have been, Capriati celebrating all over the place, and then to realize she still hasn't won the match and lose it 20 minutes after.

Who knows what would have happened if she would have lose that "second" match point?
I know, I thought about that a lot... But I mean, I didn't want to dwell on that, because the match is over and nothing happened... bUt IF, only the IF scares me to death
XaDavK_Kapri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:25 AM   #10
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
I hope the friendliness continues when Serena starts winning again too.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:26 AM   #11
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
And Serena didn´t point out anything...the line-judge made the call and in Serena´s position don´t think she could see the ball was in or out. You wanna compare this to the hand?! Come on!

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:20 AM   #12
country flag turt
Team WTAworld

turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of
Well, Serena is kidding herself if she really thinks she would have brought the ball back, had the linesman not said "OUT!"

I know that whenever a linesman calls a ball out, you have to replay the point if the player was in position to hit the ball, but come on... The ball slipped on the line, there was nothing to do about it! Of course, she did nothing wrong according to the rules. But to me, gamesmanship-wise, it's comparable to "the hand"!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:32 AM   #13
bandabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by turt
Well, Serena is kidding herself if she really thinks she would have brought the ball back, had the linesman not said "OUT!"

I know that whenever a linesman calls a ball out, you have to replay the point if the player was in position to hit the ball, but come on... The ball slipped on the line, there was nothing to do about it! Of course, she did nothing wrong according to the rules. But to me, gamesmanship-wise, it's comparable to "the hand"!
It doesn´t matter if the player could make a play or not....if the lines-man calls it out and the umpire corrects the call, the point is gonna be re-played.

Now,if you wanna compare that to the hand....hahaha, go ahead. Me personally don´t see the link: denying that you raised your hand or reacting to a call by the linesman.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM   #14
country flag turt
Team WTAworld

turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
It doesn´t matter if the player could make a play or not....if the lines-man calls it out and the umpire corrects the call, the point is gonna be re-played.

Now,if you wanna compare that to the hand....hahaha, go ahead. Me personally don´t see the link: denying that you raised your hand or reacting to a call by the linesman.
If I were in Serena's position, I would have given the point away because that point was clearly lost, linesman shouting or not.
If I were in Justine's position, I would have said to the referee that the point should be replayed.

In both cases, neither player was forced to do so, and neither did. There's a lot at stake, and sometimes you do things you would never do in a friendly match... And I understand that, it's only natural! But it works both ways...
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM   #15
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
Is anyone really surprised by serena's actions? remember the chalk last year flying in her face at wimbledon while calling the ball out? then asking for another first serve after trying to serve before justine was ready(and following it up with an oscar winning performance in her "cry me a river" press conference designed to make justine the villain) the icy death glares designed to intimidate Amelie whom she knew was a choker (yes that was a planned psychological attack), not to mention calling her own sister a bitch during a match and the numerous times in doubles where she has hunted heads (yes it's allowed but not a necessary tactic if ione has talent besides bullying). of course, she was an "amateur" during that match against 3 time grand slam holder Jennifer Capriati and yet nearly won the match. WOW!!! even amateurs can nearly beat jenn. SERENA, GROW UP!

serena, she is such a sham!
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote