Reuters Article: Williams Sisters Act Loses Its Luster - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:50 PM   #1
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Reuters Article: Williams Sisters Act Loses Its Luster

Updated: 08:04 AM EDT
Tennis-Open-Williams sister act loses its lustre
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

PARIS, June 2 (Reuters) - There was a time, not long ago, when the defeat of a Williams sister at a grand slam tournament was big news.
To lose Venus and Serena, on the same day, before the semi-finals would have caused shockwaves in the players' locker room.

However, their veneer of invincibility has been eroded to such an extent that twin defeats at the French Open on Tuesday caused merely a ripple of surprise among their contemporaries.

The sister act which contested four straight grand slam finals between the 2002 French Open and the 2003 Australian Open has lost its lustre over the past year.

Prone to injury and susceptible to nerves, Venus and Serena are shadows of the players who dominated women's tennis so completely.

"I mean, these days it's not really shocking, you know," Jennifer Capriati said after eliminating Serena from the Roland Garros quarter-finals.

"It's not that surprising. There's a lot of girls that have been playing a lot more tennis than they have," she added, highlighting one of the problems faced by the sisters.

Injuries sidelined both of them from the all-Williams Wimbledon final last year until the end of the season.

Venus returned to the tour in January, Serena in March, but they are desperately short of match play and, crucially, confidence.

MYSTIQUE GONE

Venus's conqueror Anastasia Myskina nodded when asked if their mystique had gone. "Oh, definitely, right now, yes, because they have just come back.

"They lost a lot of months, the other players kept practising. Now everybody believes at least that they can fight with them," the Russian added.

"All the girls are really tough right now. I don't think Venus or Serena are finished... they are just not at their best level."

The pair have often been criticised for playing too little tennis through choice and for being distracted by their off-court interests. Venus owns a design company and Serena is embarking on an acting career.

However, the sisters bristle if it is suggested tennis does not come top of their priority list.

"I've been working really hard, I mean, every day for the past few weeks so if that's distraction, I don't know what's focus," Serena snapped.

"If I was (more interested in her acting career than tennis), I'd be on the set of a movie right now, but I'm at Roland Garros.

WINNING WAYS

Venus says she just wants to return to winning ways.

"Well, for me, losing a match is not normal, so I'll just move on to the next tournament and get back to what's normal for me, which is winning matches."

Any talk of their immediate demise would be premature, though, a fact acknowledged by Myskina, the world number five.

"They will be back for sure. I don't think they like to lose," she smiled.

"I don't think they're done. I mean, they were the best - they can be the best again."

The Wimbledon championships could prove crucial to their future. Three of the last four grand slam finals have been contested by Belgians Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters.

If Serena fails to retain her Wimbledon crown or Venus fails to win it for a third time, the Williams household will be without a grand slam title for the first time since 1999.

From that perspective, the road back may seem a little too steep.

06/02/04 08:02 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

Just in case anyone didn't know, this writer doesn't like the Williams sisters. He/she has never really written anything positive about them. BTW, this person must have ESP to know that the sisters aren't playing the USO because if they do and one of them wins it, then they will have a Grand Slam title.
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM   #2
country flag Junex

Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute
this write-up seems pretty fair to me, and it doesn't show the writer being anti-williams.

I think its you being paranoid, look, when this writer wrote: "the Williams household will be without a grand slam title for the first time since 1999" it means they no longer had any current GS title between them, of course they may win USO but its not there's to defend anymore.
Junex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:15 PM   #3
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junex
this write-up seems pretty fair to me, and it doesn't show the writer being anti-williams.

I think its you being paranoid, look, when this writer wrote: "the Williams household will be without a grand slam title for the first time since 1999" it means they no longer had any current GS title between them, of course they may win USO but its not there's to defend anymore.
I am not just talking about this article.

This person wrote other articles about them that bordered on nasty, but I didn't post them. Like the one yesterday that they rumbled out of the FO. Plus this person admitted that he/she had a little animosity towards the sisters. Maybe they didn't give him an interview he really wanted.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM   #4
country flag tfannis
Spaghetti Warrior

tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute
OMG lol lizchris-person...get over it and move on This is the media for you. What did you expect?
tfannis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM   #5
country flag Junex

Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute
ooppsss... i miss that, she can ba that all williams hater but in fairness with this article, its what actually is happening with Vee and Rena, theyre losing it and they have to do something fast.

They need to impose there dominance on womens tour again in order to be what they are meant to be.
Junex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM   #6
country flag DelMonte

DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future
i agree with what both jen and anastasia said about how more girls think they can beat venus and serena now. because of a combination of injuries, time off (8 months for serena!) and other players raising their game, vee and serena don't dominate the tour as they did 1 or two 2 years ago.

having said that, i have no doubt that with more hard work and dedication they can be the best once again. like i've said before, the next months will be a challenge for venus and serena--we will see what they are made of. i think they can make it back to the top.

by the way, i think it will be slightly harder for venus than for serena. even though serena just fell out of the top 10, she is more technically sound than venus and her game just is not as prone to breaking down as venus'. venus, please work on your forehand and your 2nd serve!!
DelMonte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM   #7
country flag lizchris

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfannis
OMG lol lizchris-person...get over it and move on This is the media for you. What did you expect?
I expect this from the American meida. This person isn't American.

If I were you, I'd think about the fact that you favorite, Kim Clijsters, assuming Jennifer loses to Myskina tomorrow, will see a person win a Grand Slam before her on Saturday although she has been in how many GS finals?
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM   #8
country flag tfannis
Spaghetti Warrior

tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
I expect this from the American meida. This person isn't American.

If I were you, I'd think about the fact that you favorite, Kim Clijsters, assuming Jennifer loses to Myskina tomorrow, will see a person win a Grand Slam before her on Saturday although she has been in how many GS finals?
And that has what to do with the article and all the other threads you posted?

In comparison to you I am not getting all frustrated by the results of my fave when they're not that great. And certainly not by the possibility someone wins a Slam before she does In fact, I want Myskina, Dementieva or Suarez to win the title, it's always great to see some new champs.

The sisters lose and the media jumps on them, what's new? As I said before, get over it and move on Get a life for a change
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM   #9
country flag lizchris

Red face

Quote:
And that has what to do with the article and all the other threads you posted?

In comparison to you I am not getting all frustrated by the results of my fave when they're not that great. And certainly not by the possibility someone wins a Slam before she does In fact, I want Myskina, Dementieva or Suarez to win the title, it's always great to see some new champs.

The sisters lose and the media jumps on them, what's new? As I said before, get over it and move on Get a life for a change
I have a life. I don't post on this board every day.

I have gotten over their loss and I am already looking forward to Winbledon since it is a little more than two weeks away.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM   #10
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
My Oscar has never lost its luster. I get it professionally polished every few months and on special occasions, like when I have a party and want to shove it in people's faces.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:19 PM   #11
country flag tfannis
Spaghetti Warrior

Quote:
I have a life. I don't post on this board every day.

I have gotten over their loss and I am already looking forward to Winbledon since it is a little more than two weeks away.
Wonderful, don't bother posting articles about their loss then, since we're over it too
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM   #12
country flag lizchris

Red face

Quote:
Wonderful, don't bother posting articles about their loss then, since we're over it too
This article wasn't about their losses, but about how many players (most of whome have no wins or one win against either sister) are not intimidated of them anymore. The ironic thing is that these playelrs never should have been. What seperates a great player from an ordinary player is the belief that when you go out on the court, you are going to win and that you are the best. That's what sepertes Venus and Serena from the rest of the pack and why they have achieved what they have achieved in their careers.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM   #13
country flag tfannis
Spaghetti Warrior

Quote:
This article wasn't about their losses, but about how many players (most of whome have no wins or one win against either sister) are not intimidated of them anymore. The ironic thing is that these playelrs never should have been. What seperates a great player from an ordinary player is the belief that when you go out on the court, you are going to win and that you are the best. That's what sepertes Venus and Serena from the rest of the pack and why they have achieved what they have achieved in their careers.
Ah so you're frustrated that's over now and Venus and Serena aren't seperated from the rest anymore? Well try to get over that too and then move on deer Step by step You'll make it

Last edited by tfannis : Jun 2nd, 2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:55 PM   #14
country flag lizchris

Red face

Quote:
Ah so you're frustrated that's over now and Venus and Serena aren't seperated from the rest anymore? Well tryo to get over that too and then move on deer Step by step You'll make it
Among active players, other than Lindsay, Monica and Conchita Martinez, no other players has as many tournament wins as they do and when it comes to the Grand Slams, other than Monica Seles, no other players has a many wins. Will other players pass them in both areas, most likely, but not many. So you see, I am not frustrated.

Last edited by lizchris : Jun 2nd, 2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:24 PM   #15
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Expected, expected....no one can come from injuries or lay-offs and regain their footing from the bat. The field has improved and they think and believe they can beat the Williamses now. It´s okay....I still think that they´re gonna find their games again and be the main forces of the tour again.

The conditions sure didn´t help yesterday... one thing I find dissapointing is how everybody is blaming the loss of Serena on her acting. it ain´t like she was blown off the court, unlike Venus...in fact my bet is that if not for the break at the end of the second-set Serena might have well won that match as she was on pretty good roll.

Venus´s loss is a bit more puzzling...was in form, had clay-preparation...still no answers.

Wimbledon is gonna be very interesting.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote