Does Tracy Austin belong in the Hall of Fame? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 28th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #1
country flag WTT#1Fan

WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough
Does Tracy Austin belong in the Hall of Fame?

I say NO! Sorry, but in my book you need to have a lengthier career (or else win everything like Mo Connolly) to be considered. 2 majors, no other major finals, nice but she didn't play long enough. I know she had injuries but those are the breaks. All other sports Halls have minimum numbers of years played to be eligible. While she accomplished alot in a short period of time, No Hall for Tracy.
WTT#1Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #2
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Anyone ranked #1 deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Tracy
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #3
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zummi

Tracy

Agree totally. Attaining No.1, albeit for a short period, should qualify alone, together with two majors and a handful of lesser big tournaments wins. And don't forget her landmark brother-sister Mixed triumph at Wimbledon in 1980!!
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #4
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zummi

Tracy
Come on, if Kim Clijsters retires tomorrow, would you say she deserves to be in the Hall of Fame just because she was ranked #1 last year?
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #5
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Clijsters hasn't won two majors. Reaching #1 can't be the sole measurement. Look at Rios on the ATP. Who would vote him in. Austin's in because of 2 USO's and 3 years at the top of the game.
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #6
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Bitchy answer: sure she does - as an ice-cream seller.
Honest answer: No doubt about it - even a nine-days queen is still a queen.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #7
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Bitchy answer: sure she does - as an ice-cream seller.
Chris? Is that you?
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #8
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
I have to go with Zummi and Declan on this one. She was ranked #1 and is the winner of 2 US Open titles and a Wimbledon mixed title. Who really knows why her career wasn't longer. Sometimes I think it was by choice as much as by injury, though I don't question her injuries at all.

Being so focused and so driven at a young age is indeed a scary thing once you've been removed from that situation. For instance as soon as Chris Evert retired, she felt relieved at not having to be that person any more. Not that she was a bad person, but to be at the top you have to be so single minded and there's just so much more to life....especially the people in it. Even Hana came back from her break from tennis with a much different personal outlook that helped to prevent her from ever seriously threatening to reach the top again.

My point is, maybe in all that time away, Tracy was happy. I've read her book and I think its clear that she missed tennis, but she enjoyed her fame and fortune and the opportunity to do so many other things as well. She would have had to give up so much to get back to the top. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think its possible. I also think that its not a crime to feel that way if indeed she did.
HanaFanGA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #9
country flag WTT#1Fan

WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough WTT#1Fan is a jewel in the rough
Does Mark Fidrych belong in the baseball Hall of Fame? Tony Conigliaro? They were great players too who got injured.
WTT#1Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #10
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
Aside from the topic: I've just thought about all the British players who achieved singles wins over Austin, and unbelievably six managed to do so: Linda Mottram, Sue Mappin, Michele Tyler, Virginia Wade, Sue Barker and Jo Durie.
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:35 AM   #11
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Who the hell is Sue Mappin?
Back to the topic: Winning 2 Grand Slam tournaments and a Wimbledon trophy plus being a number one player, I should say "Yes".
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:28 AM   #12
country flag Declan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
Who the hell is Sue Mappin?
Back to the topic: Winning 2 Grand Slam tournaments and a Wimbledon trophy plus being a number one player, I should say "Yes".
She was a minor British player from the 70s, who once beat Tracy in qualifying at the Edinburgh tournament in 1977, just before Wimbledon. Probably her first tournament on grass.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #13
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, I wonder how you got that information, Declan...
Austin usually beat Evert as well as Navratilova in her prime (more often than she lost), that from 79 to 81, so she definitely should be a hall-of-famer.
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #14
country flag Declan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
Wow, I wonder how you got that information, Declan...
Austin usually beat Evert as well as Navratilova in her prime (more often than she lost), that from 79 to 81, so she definitely should be a hall-of-famer.
Well, I remember it from the time! (Tracy was exactly the same age as me so I followed her career with great interest.) But I still have the "Tennis Today" edition from August 1977 which has a full report on all the tournaments of the British season that year, plus full draws, even the qualifying. Tracy beat Lesley Charles in the first round of qualifying, then 'she was to learn a lesson on grass court technique from the bold, strong armed Sue Mappin, who just never let the ball bounce if she could help it. The final verdict on Miss Austin? Much too soon to say, of course, whether she will be as good as Chris Evert, on whom she appears to have modelled her game, including a deadly doube-handed backhand. At this moment in time, however, I would suggest that Tracy has the greater service potential.'
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #15
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Does Tracy Austin belong in the Hall of Fame?
YES!! IMO,since veeeeery few players ever get a sniff of winning a slam let alone actually winning one...anyone who wins a slam should be in the hall of fame.
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote