'Ladies Of The Evening': 1975-1977 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #1
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
'Ladies Of The Evening': 1975-1977

there are often some hilarious behind-the-scenes goings ons right here on the WTABoards, but i am enjoying more and more of the stories behind the scenes of the great matches and players we all know and love.

so in that spirit, writes Chris Evert:

"You won't find the "Ladies of the Evening" results in any USTA Media Guide. For the women on the tour, however, it became as eagerly awaited as a Virginia Slims final, an event that brought out the brightest, the best and most bizarre in everyone.

The idea blossomed during the Family Circle Cup at Amelia Island, Florida, in 1975. Many people now take credit for starting it, but Rosie Casals was more instrumental than anyone in getting the two "Ladies of the Evening," Peachy Kellmeyer and Vickie Berner, into a "championship match." Both were former players turned tour directors, whose after-hours reputations (Peachy with Michelob, Vickie with Dewar's Scotch) had reached legendary proportions.

Of course, Rosie could not just have Peachy and Vickie play a routine match. There had to be other conditions: On court changeovers, for example, Peachy was required to take a swig of beer while Vickie downed Scotch. Rosie also decided that everyone must be dressed appropriately, so she and Shari Barman, a friend, bought "Ladies of the Evening" T-shirts and acrylic pants. To make matters more interesting, Rosie got one-dollar donations from the crowd for prize money. Billie Jean, naturally, was the umpire, wearing two pairs of glasses, and Martina and I were designated as "coaches."

No two people ever looked less like Ion Tiriac or Robert Lansdorp. I wore an orange baseball cap with the peak backward, horizontal striped socks, hoop earrings and a T-shirt with the words "Bird Legs' Coach" across the front. "Bird Legs" was Vickie's nickname.

All of the players were involved. Betty Stove and Frankie Durr were ball girls, and others called lines. When Vickie started winning, the linesman simply ignored her serves and called faults.

I had a great time. I bandaged Vickie's knees, toweled her off, pinned up David McGoldrick's size 48 boxer shorts, and even played bartender. We had a cookout after the match, which Vickie won, and then decided that "Ladies of the Evening" would become a permanent fixture on the circuit.

The following year, we staged it as a doubles event in Los Angeles, after the Slims final. Nobody could remember much from that party after eating Rosie's brownies. In 1977, we rented the discotheque at the Hilton Hotel in Philadelphia and put on a series of hilarious skits and dance numbers. I was the master of ceremonies at that bash, in a Groucho Marx costume. Rosie served her famous brownies that night too."

Something tells me the lady players of today are not engaging in such friendly foolery! The 'Collected Stories of the World Team Tennis' days alone, I'm sure, would prove to be a rich historical document.

Last edited by daze11 : May 27th, 2004 at 03:18 AM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #2
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
there are often some hilarious behind-the-scenes goings ons right here on the WTABoards, but i am enjoying more and more of the stories behind the scenes of the great matches and players we all know and love.

so in that spirit, writes Chris Evert:

"You won't find the "Ladies of the Evening" results in any USTA Media Guide. For the women on the tour, however, it became as eagerly awaited as a Virginia Slims final, an event that brought out the brightest, the best and most bizarre in everyone.

The idea blossomed during the Family Circle Cup at Amelia Island, Florida, in 1975. Many people now take credit for starting it, but Rosie Casals was more instrumental than anyone in getting the two "Ladies of the Evening," Peachy Kellmeyer and Vickie Berner, into a "championship match." Both were former players turned tour directors, whose after-hours reputations (Peachy with Michelob, Vickie with Dewar's Scotch) had reached legendary proportions.

Of course, Rosie could not just have Peachy and Vickie play a routine match. There had to be other conditions: On court changeovers, for example, Peachy was required to take a swig of beer while Vickie downed Scotch. Rosie also decided that everyone must be dressed appropriately, so she and Shari Barman, a friend, bought "Ladies of the Evening" T-shirts and acrylic pants. To make matters more interesting, Rosie got one-dollar donations from the crowd for prize money. Billie Jean, naturally, was the umpire, wearing two pairs of glasses, and Martina and I were designated as "coaches."

No two people ever looked less like Ion Tiriac or Robert Lansdorp. I wore an orange baseball cap with the peak backward, horizontal striped socks, hoop earrings and a T-shirt with the words "Bird Legs' Coach" across the front. "Bird Legs" was Vickie's nickname.

All of the players were involved. Betty Stove and Frankie Durr were ball girls, and others called lines. When Vickie started winning, the linesman simply ignored her serves and called faults.

I had a great time. I bandaged Vickie's knees, toweled her off, pinned up David McGoldrick's size 48 boxer shorts, and even played bartender. We had a cookout after the match, which Vickie won, and then decided that "Ladies of the Evening" would become a permanent fixture on the circuit.

The following year, we staged it as a doubles event in Los Angeles, after the Slims final. Nobody could remember much from that party after eating Rosie's brownies. In 1977, we rented the discotheque at the Hilton Hotel in Philadelphia and put on a series of hilarious skits and dance numbers. I was the master of ceremonies at that bash, in a Groucho Marx costume. Rosie served her famous brownies that night too."

Something tells me the lady players of today are not engaging in such friendly foolery! The 'Collected Stories of the World Team Tennis' days alone, I'm sure, would prove to be a rich historical document.
How I wished I could have been at some of those nights! In fact, I have had a few nights like that in recent years with my own troop of V Slims gals... and with special cookies too! But can you imagine it with Chrees, BJK, Rosie, Betty, Frankie et all! I bet they had a ball. Your right Daze, can't picture it happening too much these days, although I think Conchita might have organised quite a few similar nites with her gals.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos
I have had a few nights like that in recent years with my own troop of V Slims gals... and with special cookies too!
can u make those cookies?? we may need them for one of our own WTABoards 'Ladies of the Evening'....maybe even at the 2006 chicago GG!
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #4
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it's easy to make those cookies! Love them. But my tennis suffers the next day. Still, I haven't had one in a couple of years. Chicago would be perfect for "cookies" & cream.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #5
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos
Chicago would be perfect for "cookies" & cream.
that's REALLY good!! haha....ok, boys, lets add the cream!
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #6
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
that's REALLY good!! haha....ok, boys, lets add the cream!

geeee! suddenly woke up....can't wait for 2006! hello Daze 11
jeanmi18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #7
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmi18
geeee! suddenly woke up....can't wait for 2006! hello Daze 11
does that mean you want to be a ball boy, JM? i might agree to towel you off if you're the ball boy. and AndyT could coach me? and hanafanGA could be the bartender to ensure things escalate. and tennisvideos could be the umpire to site code violations. that was just a joke, TV. and alfajeffster could make sure we're using fresh balls. and robert1 would do the officiating; we need him to call the lines: in or out! and of course santorofan could be the reporter to write the whole article for the newsletter covering our gala affair!!!

Last edited by daze11 : May 27th, 2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #8
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
does that mean you want to be a ball boy, JM? i might agree to towel you off if you're the ball boy. and AndyT could coach me? and hanafanGA could be the bartender to ensure things escalate. and tennisvideos could be the umpire to site code violations. that was just a joke, TV. and alfajeffster could make sure we're using fresh balls. and robert1 would do the officiating; we need him to call the lines: in or out! and of course santorofan could be the reporter to write the whole article for the newsletter covering our gala affair!!!
I can't wait to see this parade on the miracle mile!!!
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #9
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I can't wait to see this parade on the miracle mile!!!
right? we really do have quite a cast of characters right here in 2004!! and i didnt even include some of our famous females and moderators!!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 'Ladies Of The Evening': 1975-1977

Bump up for a fun thread and because it mentions Vicki Berner. I recalled Vicki more for her "Bird Legs" nickname and this than her playing career.

My memory may be off, but I seem to recall Virginia Wade doing a full somersault at one of these events. Did she have any of Rosie's cookies?

Can someone conform about Wade and the somersault?
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote