Which were your wood rackets? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 15th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #1
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
Which were your wood rackets?

Sorry if there's a thread about it already. I started to play tennis in the early 80's. My father had bought me a racket and I recall the mark: a Billie Jean King Bancroft. I used it for years until it was broken. Following racket was an Adidas if I remember well, that looked similar to Ivan Lendl's racket. But I especially remember how I loved my first wood racket.

Which were yours? Please share your racket pictures!
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 15th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #2
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which were your wood rackets?

Dunlop and Hanimex. And no I didn't grow up with wood. We just had them in the family home. So I kept them. I have had a hit withy them. They're a bit bent now. Do you know if there are any places selling new ones?

Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

My first racquet was a Dunlop Maxply Fort.

Here's a youtube video (Not me of course!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKlbVEUZ3MA

But even in the late 70s I was using the Jimmy Connors T-2000, a metal racquet that hit like a trampoline.

Now that I am old and have tons of touch (my backhand dropper is such a killer I can hit winners off of serves!) I wouls love to return to the days of wood!

Then again maybe not. The small sweet spots demanded much better overall form!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #4
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Mine was a Bjorn Borg Donnay racket with blue and white strings.

I also played with the T-2000 and a fibreglass racket which was like wielding a club!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mine was a Bjorn Borg Donnay racket with blue and white strings.

I also played with the T-2000 and a fibreglass racket which was like wielding a club!
You must have felt real cool with that Borg racket! I recall wearing Fila tennis gear and stuff from the John Mcenroe line-talk about short shorts!

My Dad was working a murder case-and they came to me through a weird connection-the original man who wore the clothes was a convicted murderer.

Did you also wear the Borg headband Sumarokov-Elston?
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #6
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold

My first racket was a wood Slazenger my parents bought at Western Auto (LOL). I played most of high school with a T3000. Back then I hit every shot as flat as I could. You could tell I grew up watching Connors and Evert.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #7
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

No, I was not that coordinated, my headband was the red-white-and-blue John McEnroe one -- wristbands as well. I suppose I was influenced by the 1980 Wimbledon final...

I grew up watching Connors and Evert and I thought the whole point of tennis was to paste the lines like they (especially Connors) used to do, it took me decades to develop topspin, I also hit real flat. The only thing I didn't like about Connors was his pudding-bowl haircut, though.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #8
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

I had an Oliver wood racquet which sort of resembled the square shape of the Yonex graphite which Martina switched too, after dropping the wood racquet.

I had so much touch with a wood racquet and could rally all day off the forehand. My game fell apart when I started using graphite and could never master the art of top spin.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #9
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Mine was a Dunlop Maxply Laver ,after i played with the Wilson Chris Evert autograph
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #10
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

An interesting article from l'Equipe :http://www.lequipemagazine.fr/avant-...du-tennis/804/
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #11
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calou View Post
An interesting article from l'Equipe :http://www.lequipemagazine.fr/avant-...du-tennis/804/
Nice article, thanks!

My favorites are the rackets of Gerulaitis, Jauffret, Newcombe and Laver. I just love those type of rackets.

The Billie Jean King Bancroft looks similar:

I probably had a low-end model made in Taiwan, but of all the models I found this one looks the most similar to the one I had. It's a high-end model, BJK PERSONAL made in the 80's. I recall a "B" on the strings and a shorter grip, but all the rest looks alike (name on the neck, color).
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #12
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold

When Sue Barker switched to Slazenger in 1980 I ordered the same wood racket from an ad in World Tennis Magazine. I forgot the exact name of the racket, but it was their classic that seemed to be a rival of the Dunlop max ply fort. I had been using the original Pam Shriver Fro Prince since 1979, but I never really liked it. Sadly the Slazenger was stolen from my gym locker during the 8th grade in May 1981. But by then I had fallen truly madly deeply with Hana Mandlikova and bought a Wilson Jack Kramer to replace it. I used that beauty for years until a friend sold me his graphite Dunlop Max (the one that steffi, McEnroe and for a hot minute Navratilova made famous, although. Martina painted hers black and put a yonex logo on the strings!) in 1987. I LOVED that Dunlop and played the shit out of it until it literally fell apart in 1991. Fave racket ever.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #13
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold

Here's a pic of that first wood beauty, the Slazenger Challenge No. 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.4 KB, 2 views)
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #14
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark43 View Post
Here's a pic of that first wood beauty, the Slazenger Challenge No. 1
Lovely!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #15
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold

Mine was a Slazenger as well. I'm not sure that it was used by anyone, but it was white and endorsed by John Newcombe. I then had a mid-sized wood graphite Lotto racquet before getting my first full graphite racquet, which was a Dunlop max 200G. Unlike Mark, I thought didn't like the Max200G very much. I found it really heavy, but I had it for about 5 years as well before moving onto the Wilson that Stefan Edberg played with (can't remember the model).

PS-I have no idea why anyone (including myself) thought wood graphite was a good idea..............
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote