Withdrawals... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #1
VS Fan

VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold
Withdrawals...

Another poster made the point in another thread.

Since Venus, withdrew, WHY can't K Sprem play Momo in the final.

I think this would be a great change in the rules.

This would be the rule. "If a player withdraws from a scheduled match, the player that she defeated in the previous round would have an option of continuing to play in that match."

The only catch is that a player that LOST one match just might be able to claim the title.

The upside is that a FINAL would have been played at the tourney.

Perhaps it should only apply for the final match??

Any thoughts on this??

If this had been in play at Wimbledon 2003, we might have seen Serena vs Kim in the final, and Venus could have avoided further injury by not playing the final with the recurring abdominal strain that caused her to miss the rest of the year. Venus felt obligated to play the final for the fans at the event.
Even though she won a set, she should not have played.
VS Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #2
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute
It would never work. The player lost in the semis so that's the points and money they get. The person who beat them still earned their points by making the final. Also it wouldn't be fair on the other semi finalist. Why shouldn't she get a second chance too?

They played an exhibiton match between Mauresmo & Myskina today anyway for the crowd.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #3
country flag St.Sebastian
Team WTAworld

St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute St.Sebastian has a reputation beyond repute
And who won?
St.Sebastian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #4
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
along time ago, in a mens SF, the guy winning was injured so at match point up he conceded in order so the public would get a final the next day as he knew he couldnt play.

Nowadays too much money and points at stake.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #5
VS Fan

VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold VS Fan is a splendid one to behold
"When you lose it's over."

Hmmm... this dosn't apply to qualifiers "lucky losers" that get into the main draw of slams after losing a qualifing match then get a spot because a seeded player withdraws.

Some of these players have advanced several rounds. I still think this would be a good idea to preserve a final match. Walkover final victorys suck. Even Serena's walkover over Lindsay in 2001 at the Championships sucked. There must be a way to have a final match.
VS Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:42 PM   #6
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
Yeah really there is to mcuh at stake for Venus to pull out if she wasent sure that she could play, I was trying to esplian this to mum. The losing semi finalist got 48,000 and the losing finalist got 80,000 which is a big diffrence by any means. Even if your Venus.
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #7
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes the players who lose immediately leave for the next tournament after the match. So it wouldnt work if they are called back again to play the final.
And why only apply it to the final? If we do this players who lost in other rounds would want to get into the next round if their opponent was injured.

It would all be too complicated and i definitely think that when you lose, its over. If you werent good enough to beat an injured opponent you shouldnt have the chance to win a title, especially since it would be unfair to the one who won their SF legitimately.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #8
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
I just read John McEnroe retired from an exo tournament when he was serving at match point up!
He did it bc he was injured and wanted his opponent to give a good final.
But obviously thats an exo, and players in real tournaments have too much at stake to do something like that.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #9
country flag QuicKyMonSter
Team WTAworld
Official Stalker

QuicKyMonSter has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sebastian
And who won?
nastya was leading 6-5 before the rain began... (she was 5-2 down!)
QuicKyMonSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #10
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute
it wouldn't work. too much is at stake for it to be fair to the person that won the semis + players usually leave immediately to the next tournament...