Interview: Venus Williams def. K. Sprem 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
Interview: Venus Williams def. K. Sprem 2-6, 6-3, 6-4

Berlin, 08 May 2004

Interview with VENUS WILLIAMS

Williams – Sprem 2:6, 6:3, 6:4

Q: That was very gutsy. How is your fitness? How are you feeling?

WILLIAMS: I don’t know, I’ll have to see tomorrow. I just had a little rest after the match, tried to ice it and recover.

Q: You looked a little worried at 0:3.

WILLIAMS: No, I wasn’t worried. At change over I just thought ‘just hold it and have the break. I guess it was all simple to me. The three games went so quickly. But, I was still certain of myself. I was playing better, I was moving better. I was still very confident. I wasn’t stressed.

Q: Why was it that difficult?

WILLIAMS: I think she just came out there swinging. She had nothing to lose out there. She started to hit winners, she was hitting and doing well. But, I stayed calm and just had to stick to my game. I didn’t have to do something spectacular just because she was being super spectacular. I guess it evened out in the end.

Q: She is one of the players people haven’t heard of that much.

WILLIAMS: Oh, these days this doesn’t really mean anything. You have to be ready. I was anticipating that she will come out and play like that. I was ready for it. She didn’t make any mistakes at the beginning, but I did and I could not afford to.

Q: How is it to be up for your third title?

WILLIAMS: Good.

Q: Clay hasn't been your favorite surface?

WILLIAMS: Why hasn’t it been my best surface?

Q: You tell me?

WILLIAMS: No, who says that?

Q: You are better on grass, better on hardcourt.

WILLIAMS: Is that a fact? If you compare, we play approx. 2 months on clay. Compared to the ournaments I play on other surfaces, I think the results are there for me on clay. Every surface I play, I will battle and fight. I will not let anybody tell me clay is not my surface. It’s no excuse.

Q: Did you twist your foot? Does it hurt now?

WILLIAMS: In the last game, I was sliding for a shot and twisted my ankle. It is an issue. I don’t know what is going to happen. I will have to deal with it tonight and how much I can do. It was good it was the last game and I didn’t have to play another (laughs).

Q: When you took the time out, was that your hip?

WILLIAMS: Yes, it was.

Q: Is it o.k. now?

WILLIAMS: I don’t know.

Q: Any other injuries?

WILLIAMS: No (laughs). Besides the ankle which was terrible then, I guess it’s just the court because it was so damp; you were sliding less, it played more like hardcourt. So, I can kind of blame it on me because I didn’t win the match earlier.

Q: How do you feel about tomorrow?

WILLIAMS: I don’t know. It’s only one hour after the match. I have to see how much it will swell and how much I can do. Like when you first do something, the pain is everywhere. I guess I have two injuries to deal with. Hopefully they won’t be limiting.

Q: - (not audible)

WILLIAMS: Obviously for me it is important to keep fit whether there was a French Open or not, because I’ve been down and out for so long. So, there is no reason for me to go crazy and get hurt more. I will not make any decisions right now. At this point, I’m anticipating and extremely motivated to play tomorrow. So that should help with my physical condition.

Q: Will it be a short-term or long-term decision?

WILLIAMS: I twisted my other ankle a few times this season and was able to go on, but this one seems different already. I have to see what it is.

Q: Do you see yourself and Amelie as the two favourites for the French Open, especially with a lot of other players being injured?

WILLIAMS: It’s a tough season for the players. Mentally, I’m not at the French Open, I am in Berlin. So it’s hard for me to transport myself to the French Open. I guess probably I am the favourite because of the good season I’ve had. But being the favourite doesn’t necessarily mean the

title is handed to you. You have to go out there into the draw and play like everyone else.

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Foot_Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #2
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
The questions about the CLay were to to to Funny!

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Foot_Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote