Venus Shines Brightly, but Berlin will test her - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 4th, 2004, 03:34 AM   #1
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Venus Shines Brightly, but Berlin will test her

Rome is Burning for Roger and Andy
Venus Ascendant but Berlin field will test her

By Matthew Cronin

[img]http://www.********************/tr.net_photos_art/SCHALKEN_fm_us_02_bh.jpg[/img]
Susan Mullane/Camerawork USA
Sjeng and his wife had to leap a balcony.

When in Roma, make sure to bring your own hook and ladder. About 30 ATP players escaped unharmed but scared from a fire at the Parco dei
Principi ai Parioli Saturday morning, which claimed the lives of three guests.

According to the ATP, Sjeng Schalken and his wife Ricky were forced to jump from their seventh-floor balcony to the sixth-floor balcony
outside Andy Roddick’s room, which had become a refuge for more than 20 people. A Canadian couple died from smoke inhalation and an American died when he fell to his death trying to escape. News reports said that Roddick helped to evacuate guest from the hotel roof. Other players to be evacuated included Marat Safin, Tommy Haas, Nicolas Massu, Max Mirnyi and Mariano Zabaleta.

Barcelona champ Tommy Robredo headed to Roma with a load of confidence after beating No. 13 seed Gaston Gaudio 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in the Barcelona final, which lasted 3 hours, 46 minutes. Why this non-Masters Series tournament is allowed to play a five-set final is beyond us, but suffice to say that it’s a giant event for the Spaniards. "Winning at home is very important to me," said Robredo, who cracked the top 20. "My childhood dream has come true." It was also a fine run by Gaudio, who until Sunday had been considered a second string Argentine in ‘04.

Perhaps more surprising than Tommy’s triumph was the revelation that Russia’s Nikolay Davydenko captured his third ATP title by defeating Martin Verkerk 6-4, 7-5 in the final of the BMW Open in Munich. Where has this young Russian been all year?

After an extended rest, No. 1 Roger Federer takes a 113-point advantage with him at the top of going into Roma. Federer, who reached the final last year, will be joined by No. 2 Andy Roddick, Safin
, Carlos Moya, Tim Henman, Hrbaty and Lleyton Hewitt. Believe it or no, the hazy apparition that is Felix Mantilla won the title here last year.

Another stunner: the only other former champ in the draw is Alex Corretja. Fed could meet Corretja or ‘98 finalist Albert Costa, best friends who will scrimmage in round one. Fed’s draw is brutal, with a potential date with No. 14 Martin Verkerk in the third round, No. 7 seed Sebastien Grosjean in the quarters and the potential likes of David Nalbandian, Fernando Gonzalez, Hrbaty or Davydenko in the semis.

In the bottom half of the draw, Roddick merely hopes to survive. How’s this for a gladiator-like section: Guillermo Canas in the first round, maybe David Sanchez in round two, Hewitt (if he survives Andrei Pavel in the second round) next; and possibly No. 6 Carlos Moya or Robredo in the quarters. The semis will likely feature a South American like Nico Massu, J-I Chela, Gaudio or Mariano Zabaleta. That’s assuming that Safin doesn’t kick butt all week.

The most notably absent player from the draw is the sickly JC Ferrero, who at this point has about as much chance of defending his Roland Garros title as the ambulatory Justine Henin-Hardenne does.

Venus Shines Brightly
[img]http://www.********************/tr.net_photos_art/KUSNETSOVA_sm_wb_03.jpg[/img]
Siggi Bucher
Kuzy tried to play powerball with Venus.
It’s semi-official: Venus Williams is back and in a pretty big way. If her run through the Family Circle Cup draw and two wipeout wins in Slovenia weren’t convincing, her pair of grind-‘em-out, straight-set wins over Russians Vera Zvonareva and Svetlana Kuznetsova to win the J&S Cup in Warsaw on red clay should be.

It was Vera her made Venus torn abdominal muscle ache in her upset victory over the American in Paris last year and it was Kuzy who outstroked her in Dubai two months ago. But now Venus has found her rhythm and long stride once again and was able to outlast the spirited Russians in rallies.

"I wanted to show today that the girl in Dubai was not Venus Williams," she said of the Kuzy encounter. "I really wanted to take the title. We had strong points and long points. The longer the point the more, I enjoyed it."
That’s truly the point with the elder Williams, who’s a very powerful player but can credit much of her success to her standout defense. In winning her 31st title, she also took down dirtball notable Fabiola Zuluaga and veteran Magdalena Maleeva "I feel normal now," said Venus, who has won 11 matches in a row.. "When I am not winning it's just abnormal for me. I tried not to be hard on myself with the matches I did not win at the start of the year."

No. 11-ranked Venus will likely crack the top 10 again this week in Berlin, which features the strongest field she’s faced since Miami. Kim Clijsters and her recovering wrist in the No. 1 seed, Anastasia Myskina will test her sore shoulder and Jennifer Capriati will attempt to test her sea legs. Fresh off her outstanding play in Fed Cup, Amelie Mauresmo is the looming No. 2 seed.

If Venus wins Berlin, it won’t really matter what happens in Rome next week. With Serena and her aching knee declining to play Berlin (she was offered a wild card) and Henin still struggling to recover from a mono-like virus, V will be the hands-down the Roland Garros favorite. Vera Z. certainly hasn’t shown any indication that she’s ready to become a top-five player, but Kuzy could be a fearsome factor in Paris.

Props to 19-year-old Serb Jelena Jankovic, who won her first career title at the Budapest Grand Prix with a 7-6(4), 6-3 victory over Slovakia's Martina Sucha. Watching Jankovic hit a backhand reminds one of one-time Serb Monica Seles. If she only has her forehand….
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2004, 03:56 AM   #2
country flag LindsayRocks89

LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold LindsayRocks89 is a splendid one to behold
love Vee's growing confidence
LindsayRocks89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #3
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
So Serena refused a WC in Berlin. I hope she will be OK for Rome. Get well Serena!! The tour needs you back at 100%.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #4
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
So Serena refused a WC in Berlin. I hope she will be OK for Rome. Get well Serena!! The tour needs you back at 100%.
It could mean a lot of things though. Hopefully it's not her knee. I guess we'll find out next week though.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #5
oddkayla

oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold
I really want her to do well in Berlin and Paris because I want her to earn a good seeding in London. I know based on past records she may be awarded the seeding, but I know so many will be after her so I feel she must earn it.
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute
Venus burns bright, but Berlin will test Her
as a fan of the Russians ,I'd like to arrest Her!
in dreams on warm nights,I've almost undressed Her
when there's talk of a winner,they always suggest Her
I can get pissed off, when they just fail to best Her
She's going so well ,You'd think some starr had blessed Her
seems in the past, the problems that stressed Her
with Her downing My favs.,I'd like to detest Her
but if I was forming a team, I'd always request Her
I wouldn't complain if they decided to rest Her!
pav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Legends

Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Legends is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav
as a fan of the Russians ,I'd like to arrest Her!
in dreams on warm nights,I've almost undressed Her
when there's talk of a winner,they always suggest Her
I can get pissed off, when they just fail to best Her
She's going so well ,You'd think some starr had blessed Her
seems in the past, the problems that stressed Her
with Her downing My favs.,I'd like to detest Her
but if I was forming a team, I'd always request Her
Pav

Go Venus
Legends is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #8
sunnysideup

sunnysideup has disabled reputation
this is sure a poor scheduling on her part and would certainly pay the price in Berlin or Paris.
sunnysideup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #9
country flag DunkMachine

DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold
Is she playing today?
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #10
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup
this is sure a poor scheduling on her part and would certainly pay the price in Berlin or Paris.
Whatever!

Good for Vee!
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #11
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkMachine
Is she playing today?
She plays tommorrow.
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #12
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute
She will have a test - but can and probably will come through.

She will face either Tatiana Golovin or Eleni Dannillidou in her first match.
Dannilliodu has been given Capriati two mega headaches - and Golovin has been beating the big girls too. She can beat them both but it won't be easy.......

In the third round she should meet Smashnova Pistolesi or Dechy - these two shouldn't be a problem for her and she should see them off in straights.

She could have faced Sharapova in the Quarters but as the draw changed she is more than likely to face Petrova - who could be tricky - but Venus will wanna revenge for Nadia beating Serena at Amelia Island.

In the semis it will be more than likely Clijsters - who she more than often destroys.

Leaving a probably finalist of Mauresmo who is the strongest player in the bottom half.

But good luck for your 3rd title of 2004
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #13
country flag charmedRic
Rican In The Burgh

charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny84
She will have a test - but can and probably will come through.

She will face either Tatiana Golovin or Eleni Dannillidou in her first match.
Dannilliodu has been given Capriati two mega headaches - and Golovin has been beating the big girls too. She can beat them both but it won't be easy.......

In the third round she should meet Smashnova Pistolesi or Dechy - these two shouldn't be a problem for her and she should see them off in straights.

She could have faced Sharapova in the Quarters but as the draw changed she is more than likely to face Petrova - who could be tricky - but Venus will wanna revenge for Nadia beating Serena at Amelia Island.

In the semis it will be more than likely Clijsters - who she more than often destroys.

Leaving a probably finalist of Mauresmo who is the strongest player in the bottom half.

But good luck for your 3rd title of 2004
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #14
Seenus

Seenus has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav
surely you jest her
Seenus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #15
oddkayla

oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold
I think Venus' scheduling has been just fine. She played for a week in Charleston, two days at the FED CUP, and a week (4 matches) in Warsaw. She has been able to practice, and test strategies against opponents. She has above all gotten the taste of winning back which is important. Players often say that when you have been away it does not matter how well you have practiced, playing matches and the emotions are a different ball game. Vee has been able to test her patience, and like she says she has realised that she has been getting ahead of herself and need to concentrate on keeping calm. It would not be good for her to realise she needs to calm down and take it one point at a time in the middle of a Grand Slam.

After this tourny she goes home, touch base with Richard the all important coach, relax and repack before she goes back to Paris. She will most probably arrive in Paris the Wednesday before the RG starts, which will be great. Hopefully all the tools, what works and what doesnt will be in order so she should do great, all things being equal.

Good Luck through the Clay Court season and for the rest of the year Venus!!!!